Julian Tackett discusses future of Sweet 16s

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you @Jason Frakes it definitely is of interest!

From the Article:

Julian Tackett, commissioner of the Kentucky High School Athletic Association, said the Boys Sweet 16 is “not winning the conflict with the NCAA Tournament like we used to” and that a timing change could be forthcoming for its signature event.

Kentucky’s girls and boys basketball state tournaments traditionally are played in the middle of March, with the girls Sweet 16 overlapping college basketball’s conference tournaments and the boys Sweet 16 overlapping the first week of the NCAA Tournament.

Tackett said the KHSAA is satisfied with the timing of the girls Sweet 16. Moving the boys Sweet 16 to the week before the girls Sweet 16 – during the final week of the college basketball regular season – is a possibility, Tackett said. That would force shortening the high school basketball regular season by one week or starting it a week earlier.

Argh.

District tournaments started the week of February 20 this year, ending many teams' seasons. Even if they start the season a week earlier, I hate the thought of high school basketball for some being done before Valentine's Day. I thought February 20 was too soon.

This was the talk floating around Rupp last week. Makes sense to me. Even if UK's final home game of the season fell on that Saturday, the UK game could be played at noon and the semis of the Sweet 16 at the same time they are now.

I've been saying this for the past couple of weeks that this was a possibility.

Season could be over real early for some as a poster said above.

I don't see them ever moving up the season a week. They will just eliminate the last week of the season.

I don't see them ever moving up the season a week. They will just eliminate the last week of the season.

I personally don't think any games should be played until after the state football finals. If that means a shorter season in terms of weeks, then so be it. I'd be in favor of a 25-game regular season instead of 30. And while we are at it, don't start baseball and softball until after both Sweet 16s are finished.

I personally don't think any games should be played until after the state football finals. If that means a shorter season in terms of weeks, then so be it. I'd be in favor of a 25-game regular season instead of 30. And while we are at it, don't start baseball and softball until after both Sweet 16s are finished.

We were told that the limit would stay 30 but a one less week to play them.

We were told that the limit would stay 30 but a one less week to play them.

Understood. I think you and I actually talked about this on here last week. My post was more along the lines of "what I would do if I were in charge." :thumb:

Argh.

District tournaments started the week of February 20 this year, ending many teams' seasons. Even if they start the season a week earlier, I hate the thought of high school basketball for some being done before Valentine's Day. I thought February 20 was too soon.

Why other winter sports end their season that weekend.