Wallpaper Removal Suggestions?

00Rocket28

So I'm in the middle of a massive remodel of a house we've purchased on the super cheap from relatives. The downfall is the house hasn't been updated since it was built in the 80's which is ok, BUT there was quite a bit of wallpaper waiting for me. It's a struggle.

So, any suggestions on quick and effective removal? I've been using the scoring tool and some spray. But it's messy and an extremely slow process. Anyone had any luck with the steamers?

This may depend on the type and texture of the wallpaper in question, but in my previous home, I had walls that had a kind of grasscloth wallpaper on them. I just put a knock down texture over it, like I would unfinished drywall, and painted. In this case, it came out great.

There is always this...

fc5c282e386bcac03623b1029a034b90.jpg

Unfortunately there are times when removing wallpaper just sucks and slow & messy is your only option. For what it's worth, often times hot water is just as effective as the DIF wallpaper removal solution. You should try to use water that's absolutely as hot as you can stand to use...and even if you stick with the removal solution, you're best to stick with really hot water.

I've not personally used steamers, but I have talked with some folks who have, and they seemed to have good luck with them. The problem you can run into with steamers is that you can run the risk of steaming the drywall paper right off of the gypsum underneath...so be sure you're careful with steamers until you've got the hang of them.

If you have plaster walls rather than drywall, those tend to stand up a little better to the steaming, for what that's worth.

Get one of these to score your walls.

Zinsser Paper Tiger Triple Head Scoring Tool (Case of 3)-2976 - The Home Depot

Amonia works well on breaking down the type of paste that was typically used to hang wall paper back then. One quart amonia to 3 quarts of water.

If that doesn't work, I would try renting a steamer. Using a steamer depends on the type of paint/primer that was used under the paper. If it was just a flat latex paint you're in trouble. The glue from the wallpaper softens the latex and ceates an incredible bond with the drywall paper, and as CWB said, you can damage your drywall. If a good primer was used, then a steamer will melt the glue and allow you to scrape it away pretty easily.

Don't use the amonia concentration from above in a steamer, add just 1 cup amonia per gallon of water. Steamy amonia can make you a little light headed at the higher concentration.

We used to use the old fashion Windex that had real amonia in it back in the day.

If the paper has a vinyl surface. Try to get as much of that off as you can before scoring and spraying it to get the backing off.

I have heard of a lot of people using fabric softener instead of amonia, at the same 1 qt to 3 qt concentration.

Edited by coldweatherfan

Save your time and effort...go rent a steamer. This is going to be like sweeping Elmer's Glue off your wall as it reduces the backing, it will be messy, but it will be much more effective and quick. Also gets your walls very clean for the final scraping prior to your next set.