Pitino or Calipari---Who Do You Like Best???

Not talking X's and O's here. More a personality thing. Both have some similar personality traits, charismatic , good salesmen, northeasterners. Both are clearly winners in the basketball arena. Cal clearly has never met a camera he didn't like and Rick likes to get a little freaky and reckless in restaurants.

My mother has always been lukewarm on Cal. She likes him okay but nothing like Pitino. She has always been crazy about the guy, even after he left for redder pastures. Pitino is her guy. I'm kinda with mom on this one. Cal is okay, I guess. Something irks me about him but I don't know what. I lean toward the freaky dude.

Which guy do you like the best?

As a side note, who do you think is the better coach?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm going to go have some drinks with one of them Pitino would be my choice. If I want one of them looking after my kid I'd have to go with Cal. If we're talking about the coaching aspect, I think it's a moot point, both are great coaches.

The thing about Calipari is he single handedly transformed the game of college basketball. No he won't go down as the greatest coach of all time nor should he be even considered as such unless he wins 4 more titles. But he revolutionized the game with recruiting and being the forefather of the one and done philosophy. The landscape of college basketball will never look the same unless the one and done rule changed.

As of now I would vote Cal as a better personality. But as far as legacy I've always believed if Pitino had stayed at Kentucky instead of leaving for the pros there would be at least 3 or 4 more banners hanging in the rafters. He was really on a roll when he left after the '97 season. His recruits won 2 titles and runner up in another during a 3 year span.

Both have great personalities for the job, but are different in their own little ways. I love Rick. I'm pretty sure I would like Cal a lot too as my coach.

Agreed. Those of us who love college basketball, are truly fortunate to have these two coaches leading our programs.

Before all of this stuff came out about UofL I may have said Pitino, but it's a Calipari thing for me by far when it comes to overall coaching, talking recruiting, looking out for players, personality, etc..

However I would like to see what Pitino would do with Calipari's talent, my dad has always said if we could have Calipari recruit and Pitino coach they'd never lose.