Theoretical Prediction: If Pitino stayed at Kentucky how many titles do they have?

GrantNKY

How many titles for Pitino at UK?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How many titles for Pitino at UK?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is that he'd have won maybe two more. I'm not certain one of them would have been 1998. I really think Tubby was the right coach for that team.
Interesting opinion there. A lot of fans seem to credit that as Pitinos team anyways.

Interesting opinion there. A lot of fans seem to credit that as Pitinos team anyways.

I've always felt that Tubby guided that team in a way I think was different than what Rick would have. And I think it worked. I've always felt Tubby was a great coach, but he just didn't have the touch as a recruiter. That 98 team was a perfect mix where he had a team with the right talent that he could guide. 2003 was the only other time I really felt Tubby found the right mix, and it took a Bogans injury and Wade's monster game to derail them.

With 3 Title game appearances from '96-'98 ('98 with Tubby) I think UK would have more Final Four Appearances and title game appearances into the early 2000's, & then some more here and there through the years after that. He won 1 with us, I think if he would've stayed up until the present, he would have 3-4 Titles at UK.

With 3 Title game appearances from '96-'98 ('98 with Tubby) I think UK would have more Final Four Appearances and title game appearances into the early 2000's, & then some more here and there through the years after that. He won 1 with us, I think if he would've stayed up until the present, he would have 3-4 Titles at UK.

I don't think he wins the 98 title if he stayed. I think he would have eventually won at least one more though.

I don't think he wins the 98 title if he stayed. I think he would have eventually won at least one more though.

Rick took UK to three FF in five years, and also had a team that he built win a championship the next year.

The arguement of whether they would have won it had he stayed is a valid one. Irregardless, he built that team, and I see no reason that UK would have gone down hill had he stayed.

I think a championship, every 5-7 years would not be an unreasonable projection. So, best case 10.

Simple: If Pitino never left UK and was still the coach, how many titles would UK have? 8? 9? 10? 11? More?
That's a tough one but I think we'd have at least 1 more. Remember, he was a big reason we got there in 97 as well but also was a big reason imo we lost in 97 when he refused to play Derek Anderson who they really needed in the title game and who was released and able to play from the Dr's etc. So it's hard saying. I would say he could have gotten another maybe during what was the Tubby and Billie Gillespie era if Pitino was still there but then I think the one and done era would have slowed him down because I'm not convinced he can recruit the top one and dones like some others can. (btw, your title for your poll is wrong, should say how many titles would UK have if Pitino stayed, not how many titles Pitino would have won because no way would Pitino would have won at least 8 etc.)

Pitino was on an incredible run at U.K. Momentum means a lot. Who can say? It was the best prolonged era of my life 1992-1997 until Cal came.
But just like Cal and his current run, only 1 title to show for it. So just because Pitino was on a so called "run" doesn't mean he would have won any more titles than the 1.

I don't. Tubby mixed the combo of talent and coaching just right.
Tubby was a much better in game coach than both Pitino and Cal imo. He just couldn't recruit which was surprising at the time because when he was named coach it was said a big reason was because he was a great recruiter.