Inappropriate cheers from the Perry County Central/Pikeville basketball game

There were reports in the game thread of some questionable cheers coming from the student sections towards the end of the game. I wasn't there, so I can't say for sure what all was said, and what actions were taken to stop the cheers...but I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on this one.

From @PurplePride92:

PCC student section chanting "has no class" to Pikeville.

From @Wireman:

It's not cool to chant USA or Nigeria at foreign players. Where is the administration?

I also saw tweets from Josh Moore of the Herald-Leader saying:

PCC students chanring "Have some class!" @ Pikeville students, who have broken out in "USA! USA!" chants as PCC's foreign players shoot FTs.

Perry Central students now chanting "Nigeria! Nigeria!"

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever happened to just cheering for your own team, and not digging at your opponent? I'm older but I feel uncomfortable when jeers and taunts are directed toward an opposing team or one of their players. I don't find it witty, cute or entertaining. Quite the contrary, it is often crude and crass and reflects very poorly on both those who are doing it and their school. Win, play and cheer with class.

The Pikeville student section was taunting Anosike and Akenyemi every time they went to the free throw line with a "USA!" chant. I think it's obvious what their intent was, and it was disgusting.

There was obviously no Administration present (or they chose to let it go).

The Pikeville student section was taunting Anosike and Akenyemi every time they went to the free throw line with a "USA!" chant. I think it's obvious what their intent was, and it was disgusting.

There was obviously no Administration present (or they chose to let it go).

Every time? So how many times did it happen over the course of the game?

What does the administration have to do with it? Its not at a school facility. Event is not being ran by a school.

The students are representing the school. Administrators are expected to supervise and monitor whether it at Rupp or on a Field Trip to the zoo if they are there, if not teachers. This was a school event.