The many different religions.

I googled the amount of various religions in the world, and the rough answer was 4,200 different types. I found it to be boggling but it makes sense, given how mass communication especially world wide didn't really begin until a couple hundred years ago.

So who is to say what's right and what's wrong to believe? For me, you can believe a plastic bag is the only true god, as long as you treat people the way they're supposed to be treated.

I was born and raised Catholic. I am currently a quarterly practicing Catholic, but I am a very good person.Just wanting to hear others thoughts.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I googled the amount of various religions in the world, and the rough answer was 4,200 different types. I found it to be boggling but it makes sense, given how mass communication especially world wide didn't really begin until a couple hundred years ago.

So who is to say what's right and what's wrong to believe? For me, you can believe a plastic bag is the only true god, as long as you treat people the way they're supposed to be treated.

I was born and raised Catholic. I am currently a quarterly practicing Catholic, but I am a very good person.Just wanting to hear others thoughts.

I saw God after smoking what was in a plastic bag on a couple of occasions...does that count? :D

Oh God it's too late for me to get started on this one, but don't be surprised if I chime in after a good night's sleep.

I'm right with you though, believe what you want, and treat others as you would have them treat you.

I too was raised Catholic, but many questions began to surface at an early age. I don't regret being exposed to religion, and I can say this mostly because I allowed myself to ponder outside of it without guilt. I have great memories of childhood and family related to my religious experience so I really can't throw the baby out with the bath water, but ultimately it was also important for myself to examine things from various perspectives while taking into account human behavior. Lots about religion seem to have humanity's footprint all over it, but with that said I am limited with knowing the ultimate truth and really can't denounce anything, because what do I know?

The best that I can do is to try to live my life the best way that I know how and if there's any truth to an afterlife, my conscience will be clear just as long as I feel like I didn't aim to do anyone any harm.

I can't comprehend a god who makes the unknowable so unknowable then whispers to a handful of humans to tell them to write his rules down and to translate to everyone else to take heed of them or else.

What?

Wait?

"God, wouldn't it only be logical that some might question that, so what if it doesn't seem to add up to everyone and we doubt it, we're screwed with no way of really knowing if we truly need to follow man's translation?"

I'm eager to learn and be open to life teaching me things if by chance I can somehow gain wisdom that I have yet to obtain, but I'll take my chances and likely never join an organized religion for the rest of my days, but live the best I can and let the chips fall where they may.

There's either more to our existence after death or their isn't. If there isn't then it won't matter anyway and I won't be conscious to care. If there is that will certainly be interesting and all I can do is hope that it'll all work out for the best, but I really can't see living my life according to someone else's idea of how I should.

The number 4200 is an interesting one to me, and I find it amazing that with my interest in such a topic that it never occurred to research just how many there were.

I agree. its just mind boggling to me how high the number was. Just think there are persons in this world who dint even know what three major religions are, let alone the apparently thousands of other types/sects. To me religion is just a way most of can rationalize with the unknown and feel better about death.

I agree. its just mind boggling to me how high the number was. Just think there are persons in this world who dint even know what three major religions are, let alone the apparently thousands of other types/sects. To me religion is just a way most of can rationalize with the unknown and feel better about death.

I'm curious to know what is considered a religion. Is every specific tribal religion a separate religion? Are the Shiites one religion and the Sunnis another? The worshipers of the "flying spaghetti monster" ( Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster) considered a religion?

If you are a Christian, the ONLY church that can directly trace its lineage to Jesus (& Peter) himself is the Catholic Church.

It's also important to remember that Catholics believe (meaning the Vatican teaches) that while the Catholic Church is the fullness of Truth, other religions can have elements of Truth. We also believe that you do not have to be Catholic to get to heaven; it is more like if you do and follow what the Church teaches, that is the ONLY surefire a map/guideline to follow to get to heaven.

If you are a Christian, the ONLY church that can directly trace its lineage to Jesus (& Peter) himself is the Catholic Church.

It's also important to remember that Catholics believe (meaning the Vatican teaches) that while the Catholic Church is the fullness of Truth, other religions can have elements of Truth. We also believe that you do not have to be Catholic to get to heaven; it is more like if you do and follow what the Church teaches, that is the ONLY surefire a map/guideline to follow to get to heaven.

On July 4, 2016 In post #60 of the "5 things Jesus would say to the Gay Community" thread @PP1 responded to me saying:

"I do agree alot of Catholic tradition is man made. I think protestant churches do a better job of just sticking to biblical teachings."

Say for instance that I was considering revisiting Christianity because I came to develop a sense of faith that it was the truth and I was looking for guidance, and considering that both of you are very devout followers, what avenue might you guys suggest that I take?

On July 4, 2016 In post #60 of the "5 things Jesus would say to the Gay Community" thread @PP1 responded to me saying:

"I do agree alot of Catholic tradition is man made. I think protestant churches do a better job of just sticking to biblical teachings."

Say for instance that I was considering revisiting Christianity because I came to develop a sense of faith that it was the truth and I was looking for guidance, and considering that both of you are very devout followers, what avenue might you guys suggest that I take?

Me, being a Catholic, would invite you to mass and encourage you to attend RCIA classes. At the mass, some people say they do not get anything out of it, and a lot of times it's because they picture it as a show. A show where God is the director, the priest is "the show", and we are the audience. I challenge other Catholics to picture it where the priest is the director, WE are "the show", and God is the audience.

Having said that, if you took/take another avenue in another Christian church or tradition, I would/do have no place to judge. As I mentioned in the quoted post, there are elements of Truth in religions other than Catholicism.

There is little doubt in my mind that having a spiritual belief system gives a person purpose. However, the spiritual beliefs do not have to be religious. I believe some of those spiritual belief systems are probably defined as regions by some.

I am a Christian, but in no way believe that Christianity is the sole belief system for an afterlife that is positive. There is nothing tangible in any of these that is proven beyond faith. Which is fine, but could be wrong as Greek Mythology.

I had a guy I work with accuse me of not being a Christian since I was catholic. He didn't care for the fact we pray through deities.

I don't feel their is one right religion. Just have one and follow the beliefs, be a good person. Maybe see you in the after life or maybe not.