Bengals 2017

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hunt, Peko, Dansby are no loss and probably would have a tough time making the team with all the draft picks. Wright was just hurt so much and if he could not be counted on for special teams then I understand releasing him.

Whit, Zeit, and Rex all weaken the team. Whit might be on the back 9 and it probably made financial sense to let him go, Zeit should have been signed at any cost, and Rex provide depth and special teams play.

Hunt, Peko, Dansby are no loss and probably would have a tough time making the team with all the draft picks. Wright was just hurt so much and if he could not be counted on for special teams then I understand releasing him.

Whit, Zeit, and Rex all weaken the team. Whit might be on the back 9 and it probably made financial sense to let him go, Zeit should have been signed at any cost, and Rex provide depth and special teams play.

Disagree. You don't sign Zeitler back to the richest guard contract in history. When you already pay a lot to your other tackle, and have to most likely pay big money for Eifert and Burfict after this season when they are free agents.

My guess is they will use some money from not signing him to at least lock one of those 2 up long term around training camp time like they usually do.

As I stated in 2013 when I claimed that was the most talented Bengals team since the Super Bowl team, which is was and actually got more talented the next 2 seasons. The Bengals eventually were going to lose some of them. What sucks is the Bengals didn't take advantage of that talent in 2013 or 2015.

With all that said if they had traded Dalton they probably would have freed up a good amount of money and could have signed Zeitler then.

Andre Smith is back.

The buffets at Belterra and Jack just took a hit. If it truly is only a one year deal I have mixed thoughts. Good that he will be playing for a contract. Bad that no one offered him a multi-year deal.

I look for him to be starting at RG, which i think could end up being a very good spot for him.

Disagree. You don't sign Zeitler back to the richest guard contract in history. When you already pay a lot to your other tackle, and have to most likely pay big money for Eifert and Burfict after this season when they are free agents.

My guess is they will use some money from not signing him to at least lock one of those 2 up long term around training camp time like they usually do.

As I stated in 2013 when I claimed that was the most talented Bengals team since the Super Bowl team, which is was and actually got more talented the next 2 seasons. The Bengals eventually were going to lose some of them. What sucks is the Bengals didn't take advantage of that talent in 2013 or 2015.

With all that said if they had traded Dalton they probably would have freed up a good amount of money and could have signed Zeitler then.

He would only be the richest guard in history until a host of guards zoom right by that contract. Kind of like Votto's contract. At the time it seemed so huge because it was. Now a lot of lesser players have better deals.

Although that might is the case, they will never trade AD and shouldn't. I still think they had the $$ to sign him. Burfict is going to cost them BIG and if they sign Eifert (big if), he will command a BG contract. If we don't sign Eifert, guarantee the Pats will.

[/b]

Although that might is the case, they will never trade AD and shouldn't. I still think they had the $$ to sign him. Burfict is going to cost them BIG and if they sign Eifert (big if), he will command a BG contract. If we don't sign Eifert, guarantee the Pats will.

We will continue to agree to disagree on Dalton on how good or valuable he is to the success of this team. So no need to hash that out again.

As for the Burfict and Eifert , I agree. So many people only see the here and now. You are not going to be able to sign every single talented player, you eventually have to pick and choose. Which as long as they do keep Burfict and Eifert, then I think they chose correctly.

He would only be the richest guard in history until a host of guards zoom right by that contract. Kind of like Votto's contract. At the time it seemed so huge because it was. Now a lot of lesser players have better deals.

And how many people say now that was a huge mistake to sign Votto to that? Notice how he ended up with the Browns. You didn't see top teams being able to shell out that kind of money for a guard like him. At the end of the day if you have talent on your team, the guard position is not the position you are going to prioritize to make the biggest contract ever for a guard. Now a team like the Browns who have very little talent but lots of cap space, it makes sense.

I'll trade Dalton for Zeitler straight up.

And how many people say now that was a huge mistake to sign Votto to that? Notice how he ended up with the Browns. You didn't see top teams being able to shell out that kind of money for a guard like him. At the end of the day if you have talent on your team, the guard position is not the position you are going to prioritize to make the biggest contract ever for a guard. Now a team like the Browns who have very little talent but lots of cap space, it makes sense.

People said it was a huge mistake at the time of the Votto signing........that he was untradeable because the dollars involved................that the Reds could never sign any other long term deals........now it isn't even a huge contract anymore and he is one of the top hitters in baseball.

If the Bengals were to sign Zeit it would be a huge contract ...........this year. Next 3 years I guarantee he isn't the highest paid guard. There is plenty of dead money still on the roster (lets start with Rey and go from there) that it could have been done.

People said it was a huge mistake at the time of the Votto signing........that he was untradeable because the dollars involved................that the Reds could never sign any other long term deals........now it isn't even a huge contract anymore and he is one of the top hitters in baseball.

If the Bengals were to sign Zeit it would be a huge contract ...........this year. Next 3 years I guarantee he isn't the highest paid guard. There is plenty of dead money still on the roster (lets start with Rey and go from there) that it could have been done.

Wrong it gets higher after this year the cap hit the Browns take.. He gets 31 million guaranteed, his first 2 years is fully guaranteed. The cap hit this year is only 8.4 million for him. In 2018 his cap hit is 12.4 million which is 4 million more next year and once again fully guaranteed. To put things in perspective AJ Green cap hit is only 13.5 million a year. Meaning we would be paying a guard almost as much as Green.

To add to that if we pay a guard 12.5 million a year. What kind of contract do you think Eifert and Burfict will want at the end of this year? I would bet they are going to want more than want a guard makes.

So basically we would be like the reds and give big contracts to the likes of Votto, Phillips, Bailey. Then lose out on pieces that mean even more like a Cueto, etc.

Yes it would have been great to keep Zeitler. Their mistake was not getting a deal done before he got to free agency to get the huge record he received. However it was not a mistake not matching that. Especially when you do know the likes of Eifert and Burfict are about to need huge deals to keep them.