Bowling Green/Graves County predictions

Bowling Green vs. Graves County  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Bowling Green vs. Graves County

• Bowling Green (32-2)
    • Graves County (27-7)

As a BG fan, this game has me concerned. Feels like a trap game right out of the gate. I hope BG fans travel good this year. The past couple of years their fan support has been embarrassing.

You're going to be disappointed in the fan turnout again, I'd say. Many fanbases grow complacent with success and Bowling Green is no exception. That they have had such overwhelming success in every sport in all years has compounded that. They're not in the habit of going to games that they expect to win. I went and saw their game against Franklin-Simpson in the region tournament and their turnout was subpar. Their student section was especially disappointing, and those that were there, didn't do much. They're not hungry like they were in the late 2000s, desperate for success.

As far as this game being a trap game, I doubt it very much. Vogt may be able to give them a look they're not used to with a big man inside, but Graves had better pray, pray, pray that Bowling Green doesn't hit their outside shots. But don't worry, Bowling Green is only 42/89 (47.2%) from outside in their last six games..... Nooooooo problem!

I can't see Graves winning without Ryan Mathis even with the recent emergence of Naranjo. Vogt will cause some problems inside and I imagine that Graves will try to slow the game down to try and control the pace. BG will be just too much for them in the end.

The only way I see Graves having a chance is for BG to go cold (less than 35%) from the outside, GC to shoot 50% or more and control the boards. Only way.

I can't see Graves winning without Ryan Mathis even with the recent emergence of Naranjo. Vogt will cause some problems inside and I imagine that Graves will try to slow the game down to try and control the pace. BG will be just too much for them in the end.

The only way I see Graves having a chance is for BG to go cold (less than 35%) from the outside, GC to shoot 50% or more and control the boards. Only way.

Silo,

What happened to Mathis? I assume some injury?

Mathis is back. He played in the semis and finals and made the All tournament team.

Hey @Purple88, I'm sure most know but I don't. ....why is the team name, the Purples?

I can't remember the exact reasoning why they chose the name Purples. I believe once they decided on the school colors they went with Purples. A Purple is a spirit which is why the mascot has always been a ghost. It is the Purple Spirit. Very rarely will you come across a BGHS graduate who isn't proud to be a Purple. It is a unique name and a spirit that never dies. Purples live forever. Once a Purple, always a Purple. It's a good day to be a Purple.

Many schools in the way back simply went by colors. It's why Manual is the Crimson. Male used to be called Purples as well in the beginning of time when they and Manual were the only ones around. Bowling Green simply never moved on from the name.