2016/17 KHSAA Sweet 16 State Tournament Preview

The 2016/17 season has pretty much came and gone. We are now headed to the 2016/17 KHSAA Sweet 16 State Tournament that will start next Wednesday. Two things are for sure; 1. There will be a new state champion….2. There should be some barn burner games. Who will come out on top?

Bracket:

Top:

3/15 - 8 PM – Scott County vs. Pulaski County

3/15 - 12 PM – Bowling Green vs. Graves County

3/15 – 6:30 PM - Scott vs. Harlan County

3/15 – 1:30 PM – Pikeville vs. Perry County Central

Bottom:

3/16 – 6:30 PM – Elliott County vs. Collins

3/16 – 8 PM – Cooper vs. Meade County

3/16 – 1:30 PM – Ballard vs. Taylor County

3/16 – 12 PM – Fern Creek vs. Hopkinsville

(1) Scott County vs. Pulaski County:

The Cardinals are coached by legendary coach, Billy Hicks and come in with a record of 30-5. The Cardinals have had no problem making it to the Sweet 16 as they've rolled through everyone, in fact, the Cardinals have won 18 straight games, what's more surprising? Only 2 of those 18 games were in single digits….Want to know something else that's really surprising? Neither of those single digit games were in the post season play, yes that's right, Scott County has won every post season game this season by 10+ points. Michael Moreno leads the Cardinals with 22 points a game and 10 rebounds a game. Cooper Robb adds 15 points a game and Cam Fluker adds 12 points a game for the Cardinals.

The Maroons are coached by 1st year coach, John Fraley, son of legendary coach, Dave Fraley and come in with a record of 27-7. Much like Scott County, the Maroons didn't have any trouble making it to the Sweet 16 as they won every post season game this season by 10+ points. In order to beat the Cardinals or be in position to beat the Cardinals, Pulaski County needs Steven Fitzgerald to be Steven Fitzgerald 25 points a game. Pulaski also needs Landon Powell (17 PPG) and Treyvon Sylvester (15 PPG) to step up.

Prediction: Scott County 82-67

(2) Bowling Green vs. Graves County:

Bowling Green, probably the odds on favorite to win the Sweet 16, comes in with a record of 32-2. The two losses? Covington Catholic and Berkmar GA. Bowling Green has been wrecking everyone in their path. The Purples have won 25 straight and have yet to be defeated in 2017. Coach DG Sherrill has a slew of players he can count on; Players like Zion Harmon and Terry Taylor, who both are averaging 17 points a game, just to name a few.

Graves County on the other hand has already lost to teams that are playing in the Sweet 16, teams like Hopkinsville. The Eagles have also put together a win streak, 12 straight games. The Eagles come in 27-7. The Eagles have 3 players that are averaging double digit scoring; Chris Vogt 17 PPG, Jordyn Naranjo 11 PPG and Ryan Mathis at 13 PPG. The Eagles need some others to step up if they wanna knock off the Purples.

Prediction: Bowling Green 83-51

(3) Scott vs. Harlan County:

This one has all the makings for a dandy. The Eagles come in kind of struggling having won 3 straight games but have split 12 their last 12 games at 6 wins and 6 losses. The Eagles are going to need more help other than Jake Ohmer, although he averages 27 points a game and has scored 866 points this season, he can't do it all.

Harlan County, the Bears have been quite impressive this season, going 31-3, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with their mojo, winning 11 out of their last 12 games. The Black Bears, believe it or not, have just 2 players that are averaging double digit scoring; Treyce Spurlock at 16 points a game and star senior guard, Cameron Carmical at 20 points a game.

Prediction: Harlan County 61-52

(4) Pikeville vs. Perry County Central:

This one is another one that should be nothing short of a barn burner. The Panthers come in 23-8, having won 6 straight and 9 of their last 10 games. Junior guard Wyatt Battaile leads the Panthers with 20 points a game and 7.2 rebounds a game.

The Commodores are still riding high after winning the 14th region crown for the first time in a long time. The Perry County Central Commodores come in 27-7 and have won 10 straight games. Can they keep it up and win another one? The Commodores have several key players that contribute to their success; Damon Tobler and Noah Back to name a few.

Prediction: Perry Central 63-59

(5) Elliott County vs. Collins:

First-ever meeting between these two teams. Elliott County comes in blazing hot and one of the better teams in the Sweet 16. The Lions come in 26-3 having won 10 straight. Elliott County has made the semi-finals once and the Elite 8 once, both times, losing to the eventual state champs. The Lions seem to have a short roster but they have some dangerous shooters; SO guard Korbin Spencer, the best player in the 16th region, comes in at 22 points a game, shoots 41% from 3 and grabs 6 boards a game. Chase Porter and Tanner Dickerson are also key contributers to the Lions.

The Titans aren't doing so hot, they have won 3 straight but they have lost 5 of their last 9 games. Senior forward Charles Cochran leads the Titans with 16 points a game. Can Collins get more help or will Elliott County’s strong shooting prove too much for the Titan faithful?

Prediction: Elliott County 71-63

(6) Cooper vs. Meade County:

The Jags, another one of the hottest teams coming into the Sweet 16. Cooper comes in at 28-4 and have won 14 straight and if it hadn’t been for a 55-52 loss to Cov Cath, the Jags would be riding an 25 game win streak. Senior guard Sean McNeil and junior guard Adam Kunkel both come in averaging 17 points a game to lead the Jags, not to mention both shoot well over 40% from 3.

Meade County comes in struggling bad, in fact, the Green Wave have lost 20 of their last 25 games. Meade County does have 3 players that average double digit scoring but they're gonna need a lot of help knocking off Cooper.

Prediction: Cooper 71-34

(7) Ballard vs. Taylor County:

The Bruins come in 28-6 and have won 6 straight games. Ballard, is well, Ballard, that shouldn't surprise any one. The Bruins knows what it takes to win a state championship, but can senior forward Clivonte Patterson (17 PPG) and senior guard Jamil Wilson (13 PPG) lead the Bruins to a state championship?

Taylor County is still riding high after the major upset they pulled, defeating Adair County (32-2) 67-66 in the regional championship game. The Cardinals come in 20-14 and have won 3 straight but prior to that 3 game win streak, the Cardinals had a win/loss pattern going on, win one, lose one, win one, lose one. Can senior guard Ezra Oliver and SO guard TreVon Smith, who both are averaging 18 points a game, lead the Cardinals past a dangerous Ballard team? Remember, they have pulled an upset once already this post season.

Prediction: Ballard 87-55

(8) Fern Creek vs. Hopkinsville:

The Final and last first round game and it should be a dandy, barn burner, nail bitter, what ever you wanna call it. These two teams have similar but not so similar records. Hopkinsville (28-6)…Fern Creek (33-2). The thing is, one of the two losses that Fern Creek has, well one was to this same Hopkinsville team 78-58 earlier in the season at Muhlenberg County. Since then, Fern Creek has gone on a 19 game win streak. I'm sure the Tigers, Fern Creek Tigers that is, are looking for some revenge against Hopkinsville and what better way to do it then by eliminating them in the Sweet 16. Chance Moore (16 PPG), Anthony Wales (14 PPG) and Ahmad Price (11 PPG) can do it.

Despite having 2 losses towards the end of the season, Hopkinsville has been on a tear, having won 21 of their 23 games. One thing is for sure, the Hopkinsville Tigers have picked up a win over Taylor County. Could we see a second game between the two or will it be Ballard and Hoptown or Fern Creek and Ballard or Fern Creek and Taylor County? I'm sure Hoptown isn't looking past Fern Creek just yet but Stephen Cager and Jalen Johnson, who both are averaging 17 and 18 points a game, can make sure the Hoptown Tigers are playing in the Elite 8.

Prediction: Hopkinsville 68-59

Edited by PurplePride92
Formatting

Just wanted to give you some additional information on Meade county. The team is coming into the tournament fully healthy and with the top player in the 3rd Region in James Baker. Baker missed a huge chunk of the season with a thumb injury and returned just in time for district tournament play. The team has other capable players but struggled to adjust without him.

So I would argue that Meade is not coming into the game struggling bad. The team's record might be the most misleading stat in the entire Sweet 16. They are actually getting it together at the right time. Only loss since Baker returned was in the district championship on a last second shot to a decent Hancock County team (Baker's second game back).

It should be noted that when Hopkinsville defeated Fern Creek in the regular season that was the last time Fern Creek lost a game.

Also, don't expect the same game at all. This one should be close, very close.

I would argue as well that Meade, while their record is unimpressive, lost James Baker during the Christmas break and where 8-3 when he went out and are 4-1 since his return for a 12-4 record. He is a game changer at 6'6" who can handle the ball and take it to the rack or step back for a 3. Wouldn't be surprised to see them upset Cooper in the first round.

I would argue as well that Meade, while their record is unimpressive, lost James Baker during the Christmas break and where 8-3 when he went out and are 4-1 since his return for a 12-4 record. He is a game changer at 6'6" who can handle the ball and take it to the rack or step back for a 3. Wouldn't be surprised to see them upset Cooper in the first round.

Not questioning your perspective as I have not seen Meade play but out of my own curiosity, have you seen Cooper play this year? I spoke to a Beechwood fan whom Meade played BEFORE Baker was injured and they said he is an exceptional talent but Beechwood still handled Meade by 16 points. Again, doesn't mean a thing this time of year but was just curious if you had seen Cooper play at all that you would not be surprised.

If I recall correctly, Baker's initial injury occurred in the Beechwood game. Also, the head coach pulled some starters early in that game (somewhat due to Baker's injury and some due to a lack of execution). I believe he was trying to make a point to the team. I doubt Baker played more than a quarter of that game. Baker suffered a more severe injury to the same hand the following day. I don't think the Beechwood game is a good measure at all.

Also, I've seen Hudl video of the two star guards at Cooper. Very, very impressive indeed. However, I do not believe that either of those kids have the potential to impact a game the way that Baker can when his game is on. Sure there have been opposing star players who have outplayed Baker on occassion, but I haven't seen anyone who has the "potential" to take control of a game the way Baker can.

If I recall correctly, Baker's initial injury occurred in the Beechwood game. Also, the head coach pulled some starters early in that game (somewhat due to Baker's injury and some due to a lack of execution). I believe he was trying to make a point to the team. I doubt Baker played more than a quarter of that game. Baker suffered a more severe injury to the same hand the following day. I don't think the Beechwood game is a good measure at all.

Also, I've seen Hudl video of the two star guards at Cooper. Very, very impressive indeed. However, I do not believe that either of those kids have the potential to impact a game the way that Baker can when his game is on. Sure there have been opposing star players who have outplayed Baker on occassion, but I haven't seen anyone who has the "potential" to take control of a game the way Baker can.

Kunkel can impact the game from the guard position as much as Baker. It will be a tough time for Meade County because the game plan will be shutting down Baker who is very good. Cooper can play D and will not let Baker go unchecked. I predict Baker will have a good game, but he has not faced a defense like Cooper's in any recent 3rd Region games.