How have transfers effected you area, and how will Charter Schools effect it

It has come to my attention the past few years that transfers have made huge impacts on the athletic programs of schools throughout the state. (Boys and Girls) I've been around high school basketball just about my entire life (watching not playing) and have seen transfers come to schools in what should have been down years and make them Championship contenders.

So heres my region:

10th Region Boys-

Not any significant effect from what I've seen Jeryd Jones went from GRC to MoCo which is about the only one I can remotely think of in the past few years.

10th Region Girls-

If you've been on BGP the past 3/4 days you've seen me make comments about GRC. Some of those comments have been a bit harsh, but that doesn't take away from the fact that everything I've said has been facts. This should have been a down year for GRC as they lost quite a bit to graduation last season, but wrong. Transfers came in and right back to Championship contenders they went. At one point in the 10th Region Championship Game Saturday night all 5 players on the court for GRC were transfers as well as one checking in at the scores table.

That being said, have transfers impacted other areas or just this one?

Please do not take this post the wrong way, I just thought it would be better to create a thread on the topic instead of discussing it on pregame/post game threads.

Also: How will Charter Schools effect things if/when it gets passed?

Edited by Mike Baxter
Added something

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the deal. This discussion won't go any farther down the pipe if we get into rule 4 violations. Transfers are handled by the KHSAA. You can discuss those if you like. But any recruiting comments and some of you will be on the outside looking in. This will be the only warning in this thread regarding the matter.

In the 8th region girls championship it would have been a lot more competitive if Grant county had Harmeyer and Martin still. SK is a machine so who knows what the outcome would have been but it would have been interesting to have seen. I also think the Grant County boys win the 8th region 4 years ago if Carr doesn't transfer for his senior season.

Here's the deal. This discussion won't go any farther down the pipe if we get into rule 4 violations. Transfers are handled by the KHSAA. You can discuss those if you like. But any recruiting comments and some of you will be on the outside looking in. This will be the only warning in this thread regarding the matter.

Not classifying any of them as recruits, the KHSAA has cleared them and that's that. Just want to discuss the impact those transfers have had on programs.

Not classifying any of them as recruits, the KHSAA has cleared them and that's that. Just want to discuss the impact those transfers have had on programs.
Here's the history of these threads. Someone always has an agenda. Discuss within the confines of the rules and the warning stands.

I'd like to hear your opinion on the Charter Schools, I don't know much about the topic.

I don't know a thing about charter schools nor do I care. All of my kids are grown.

I will say that after having 4 kids attend 4 different high schools in Campbell Co., I am a huge proponent for kids going to the school that best fits their needs rather than sending them to the closest school just because that's where they are supposed to go.

In the 8th region girls championship it would have been a lot more competitive if Grant county had Harmeyer and Martin still. SK is a machine so who knows what the outcome would have been but it would have been interesting to have seen. I also think the Grant County boys win the 8th region 4 years ago if Carr doesn't transfer for his senior season.

Would the other Grant players had developed had Martin and Harmeyer stayed? Those two probably would have taken 70% of the shots had they stayed. Also, how good would SK have been had Thomas and Baugh stayed? Up until this year, SK in big games, was too dependent upon Niece to score.

It is what it is guys on the transfers ... been on both sides of that ... we have lost several athletes to transfer ... kids that were 3 sport athletes at our small school ... kids that would have made a difference for our teams in multiple sports ... and we have had a few kids transfer in that ended up being good role players at our school , not really difference makers but really good kids ... that being said , would I like for a couple stud athletes , boy or girl , to transfer in here ?? You bet I would and anyone on here would too for THEIR programs ... I admit the bigger schools have the better opportunities to get the transfers ... I pretty much doubt any school , small or large, is gonna turn any transfer down but it is ultimately up to Khsaa!!! I am not gonna be a hypocrite and say transfer is bad and then lobby for a kid to transfer to our school ... not gonna do it and nobody else is either that posts in here ... small schools have fought this for years and now that it is affecting larger schools it is an issue .... parents are gonna do what is best for their children even if it does hurts some feelings ... it's not always easy standing on the outside looking in but you can't tell me you wouldn't stand on the inside and look out either .. just my thoughts on the subject ...

To my limited knowledge on charter schools, they should only have an impact on the bigger cities (Louisville, Lexington, Bowling Green). And probably not even Bowling Green or Lexington. I don't foresee schools popping up everywhere now just because charter schools are/will be allowed. The county schools "should" stay the same unless someone in a certain area gets an idea to start their own school. Louisville will be the main area affected IMO, and who knows what that impact will have. It probably won't have much on the powers (Trinity, Ballard, PRP, etc), but may impact the lesser powers.

That's all my opinion, and who knows if it's right or not.