Kentucky might explore high school football playoff seeding

Is a seeded playoff system on the horizon for Kentucky high school football?

As the KHSAA Board of Control looks to the 2019 season, with which will come the next major realignment of teams, it’s possible that seeding the football playoffs will be explored as a potential alternative to the current postseason format, which relies on geography as its primary bracketing method. That discussion occurred as part of an overall talk about postseason play during the football advisory committee’s annual meeting Feb. 21 in Lexington.

Read more here: KHSAA might explore seeding for football playoffs in 2

We have came up with solutions on here that would allow some options... hopefully those who sit at the table have read through them and have some of those talking points store in the back of their mind.

What won't work is seeding teams 1-32 and sending bad teams on 4+ hour road trips to lose by 60 points.

I still think the solution (if they stick with 6 classes) is allowing 3 teams in per District and Seeding the Semi-States. If you want to re-bracket the Semi-Finals you can..but at the very least this helps make more competitive Round 1 and 2 games, still gives value to the District Schedule and Regular Season, and helps eliminate some early round travel woes

Got a mixed bag of feelings on this one. On one hand I'm old school and feel as if you wanna be the best you gotta beat the best. On the other hand I understand the issue of the two or three best teams all being in the same region and then someone getting butt hurt cause the other regions aren't as strong. That being said, its all about winning state, but...appearances mean ALOT as well. Captain straddle the fence here lol.

The only change it needs is to go back to 4 classes.. Too many trophies are being handed out now watering down the fields... And we wonder why we're raising a generation of entitlement.

Six is definitely too many... KY is at most a 5 Class State and I think 4 Classes was absolutely correct. With that said, the KHSAA won't want to give up that 6th State Final for the revenue at this point.

The only change it needs is to go back to 4 classes.. Too many trophies are being handed out now watering down the fields... And we wonder why we're raising a generation of entitlement.

6 classes may be too many. But it's not making our youth soft or entitled. Every generation has thought that about the next, before football was even a high school sport.

We have came up with solutions on here that would allow some options... hopefully those who sit at the table have read through them and have some of those talking points store in the back of their mind.

What won't work is seeding teams 1-32 and sending bad teams on 4+ hour road trips to lose by 60 points.

I still think the solution (if they stick with 6 classes) is allowing 3 teams in per District and Seeding the Semi-States. If you want to re-bracket the Semi-Finals you can..but at the very least this helps make more competitive Round 1 and 2 games, still gives value to the District Schedule and Regular Season, and helps eliminate some early round travel woes

This. I know I posted a proposal in the fall and many others have done something similar. At an athletic administration meeting a year or so ago, I heard Mr. Tackett make an offhand comment about chatter on "Bluegrasspreps, or Kentuckypreps, or Americapreps, or something like that" and several folks chuckled afterwards.

While I'm not saying the KHSAA needs to spend much time reading BGP, there are a lot of good ideas floating around and not all are produced by a group of coaches on the advisory committee.

This. I know I posted a proposal in the fall and many others have done something similar. At an athletic administration meeting a year or so ago, I heard Mr. Tackett make an offhand comment about chatter on "Bluegrasspreps, or Kentuckypreps, or Americapreps, or something like that" and several folks chuckled afterwards.

While I'm not saying the KHSAA needs to spend much time reading BGP, there are a lot of good ideas floating around and not all are produced by a group of coaches on the advisory committee.

I am convinced if I could take you and hand pick another 6 or 7 more posters on here that we could make some major changes that would significantly improve the product of KY HS Football if locked in a room with the KHSAA during a weekend.

Mr. Football

Playoffs

Classifications

Transfer Rules

Competing for Districts

Neutral Site Venues

Scrimmages

All those topics I honestly feel that we could find a way to improve with a BGP All-Star team, Coaches, and the KHSAA Board.

In FL we will be transitioning to a new playoff format, similar to OH. We'll be seeded based off the points we earn throughout the season.

Seeding could be an interesting way bring some diversity to the playoff system, but I would imagine travel cost would become an issue for a number of school districts.

I am convinced if I could take you and hand pick another 6 or 7 more posters on here that we could make some major changes that would significantly improve the product of KY HS Football if locked in a room with the KHSAA during a weekend.

Mr. Football

Playoffs

Classifications

Transfer Rules

Competing for Districts

Neutral Site Venues

Scrimmages

All those topics I honestly feel that we could find a way to improve with a BGP All-Star team, Coaches, and the KHSAA Board.

I agree 6 is too many classes for Kentucky. However, it allows for more teams to potentially not have to play Trinity and St. X in the playoffs than would 4 or 5 classes. And with the 3-6 rotating region semi-finals, Louisville teams get to knock each other out of the playoffs sooner and an state public school gets the runner up trophy.