World Record Grizzly taken down with Bow

jericho

Bro in law went hunting in Alaska. He needed a gun that could down a grizzly just in case. I offered him my 44 mag pistol. He told me he didn't want to make a griz mad so he took my 45-70 rifle.

Couldn't imagine doing it with just a bow.

Effects of trophy hunting on animal populations[edit]

When poorly managed, trophy hunting can cause negative ecological impacts for the target species such as altered age/sex structures,[14] social disruption,

[15][16][17] deleterious genetic effects,[18][19][20] and even population declines in the event of excessive off-takes,[21][22] as well as threaten the conservation[23] and influence the behavior[24] of non-target species. The conservation role of the industry is also hindered by governments and hunting operators that fail to devolve adequate benefits to local communities, reducing incentives for them to protect wildlife,[25][26][27] and by unethical activities, such as shooting from vehicles and canned hunting, conducted by some operators which attract negative press and foster support for hunting bans.[28]

According to the Smithsonian Institution, the world's wildlife populations have decreased by an alarming rate of 52% since 1970.[citation needed] This is heavily concentrated on mammals, birds, amphibians and reptiles. The decline is attributed to several reasons such "over exploitation (including hunting for food, medicine and animal products), habitat loss and climate change all serve as primary drivers of population loss."[citation needed] Developing countries are more likely to see a dramatic decrease in wildlife populations for the reasons mentioned above.[citation needed] Developing countries driven by profit are likely to also see a decline in population as a result of the unwillingness of the government to contribute to conservation efforts.[citation needed]

Trophy hunting - Wikipedia

I have nothing good to say regarding the arrogance of mankind. There are people that like to kill things. They can cast this to be in the interest of conservation or whatever they want. If they are really concerned about wildlife health and well-being, we can take all the billions spent on weaponry, gear and licenses and pour it into land acquisition that can be set aside for habitat before it is too late.

I know that there are some that do, but not enough.

I might sound like a lefty lib here...yuck...but here goes;

I am all for hunting, and I understand the thrill of the hunt and the tasty spoils that one receives after the hunt. However, with that said, hunting for the SOLE purpose of collecting a trophy I just don't agree with. I know, I know, the meat is donated, blah blah blah...but that bear was killed simply because it was the biggest and baddest and the guy wanted it.

Now, on another note...that dude has some big brass eggs in his underwear if the story of him hunting that bear actually went down the way he describes. Wow.