3rd Region Tournament Preview...

Wednesday

Edmonson Co(19-10) vs Meade Co(10-21)

These two teams did not meet in the regular season. Meade is a bit of a wild card with James Baker back in the fold. He dropped 28 points to help eliminate red hot Breck County. Edmonson has had a consistently solid season, and sport two of the better scoring guards in the region in Board & Skaggs.

Slight Favorite: Meade County

Owensboro Catholic(21-10) vs Ohio County(15-13)

Both teams were in hard fought district finals with very close outcomes. The Eagles knocked off the Aces in the last week of the season on a Dylan Decker 3 pointer in the final seconds. This is probably the best matchup of the first round. Tony Hopper v Tim Riley is worth the price of admission alone.

Slight Favorite: Owensboro Catholic

Thursday

Hancock County(27-4) vs Butler County(12-15)

This is probably the most predictable game of the first round, but in this region, nothing is THAT predictable. Hancock just keeps winning. Knocking off Meade in the 11th district championship game proved to me that they can play with anyone in the region. Butler, however, did push the Hornets into double overtime during the regular season. The Bears have enough scorers to make the capable of an upset but Hancock has been consistently able to finish games.

Heavy Favorite: Hancock County

Muhlenberg County(15-15) vs Daviess County(19-12)

This one has all the makings. The Mustangs are the hottest team in the region during the last week into district tourney. They scored wins over DC, Catholic and Ohio Co during the final week. They are finally together as a team and as I've said all year, they are the most talented team top to bottom in the region. Don't sleep on Daviess County, however. As long as they don't rest on their upset of Apollo, they have a real shot to run the table. The regular season game between these two went right down to the wire, with the Stangs getting a 1 point win.

Even odds

So many even matchups in this tournament. 7 of the 8 teams have a legit chance to win the whole thing. Should make for an action packed week at the Sportscenter. It's hard to pick a team to beat. I'd say the winners of the 9th vs 10th games will meet in the regional title game. Gun to my head, gimmie Catholic. It's hard to bet against Tim Riley. Daviess County would be my dark horse pick.