Americans Are Split on Whether They Want President Trump Impeached

Was anyone asked?

Trump’s overall approval rating varies by the source of the poll. A new national poll from Quinnipiac University has his approval rating at 38 percent, down from 42 percent just after his inauguration.

His post-inauguration approval rating is a record low compared to his recent predecessors: After his inauguration, Barack Obama’s approval rating was at 76 percent, and George W. Bush’s was 57 percent, according to CNN. Ronald Reagan was the closest to Trump, at 51 percent.

Americans Are Split on Whether They Want President Trump Impeached — And More Revealing Polls

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had some discussions about these types of things with some friends and coworkers. My view has been:

1) He hasn't done anything that is worthy of impeachment. Yet. So the talk is rather premature and ridiculous from that standpoint.

2) Even in the unlikely event that they did vote to impeach him, so what? Does anyone believe they're going to get a 2/3 majority of the Senate to convict? Bill Clinton was acquitted by every single Democrat in the Senate in 1998. Five Republicans voted against convicting on obstruction of justice, and ten voted against perjury. So it was a 50/50 split on obstruction, 45/55 on perjury. Even if every Republican had voted to convict, they'd have needed to swing 12 Democrats.

I bring that up because that vote, like an increasingly large number of votes since, was almost exclusively on party lines. Do we expect a Republican-majority Senate to vote to convict a sitting president of their own party? And even if some tectonic shifting took place in the next election - let's say it was 55 Democrats in that version - are they going to swing any Republican votes at all? I don't see it.

Impeached for what exactly?

That's my question. I didn't vote for him and he would have to do a lot to make me a fan of his. I want America to succeed and the thought of an impeachment is really not going to do it.

If he does things that are patently illegal or horribly endangers national security then I would support impeachment, but just being a jerk? No, that isn't impeachment worthy.

If they didn't impeach Bill for lying on the stand about committing adulterous affair then I doubt it happens.

Bill Clinton discraced America with what he did.

While I'm no fan of Bill Clinton, nothing in the Monica Lewinsky affair jeopardized national security. I'd still like to know more about the Russian stuff to see if that's a legit mark on Trump, though. That part really concerns me.

The ethical challenges vis-a-vis conflicts of interest with his businesses would be a secondary and probably even tertiary, considering most politicians are intensely ethically challenged, but I can almost live with that if he can perform magic with the overall US economy.

If they didn't impeach Bill for lying on the stand about committing adulterous affair then I doubt it happens.

Bill was impeached just not removed from office. I'm not sure Congress would accomplish both steps on Trump either unless he is just unapologetically dumb, which is a possibility.

I've had some discussions about these types of things with some friends and coworkers. My view has been:

1) He hasn't done anything that is worthy of impeachment. Yet. So the talk is rather premature and ridiculous from that standpoint.

2) Even in the unlikely event that they did vote to impeach him, so what? Does anyone believe they're going to get a 2/3 majority of the Senate to convict? Bill Clinton was acquitted by every single Democrat in the Senate in 1998. Five Republicans voted against convicting on obstruction of justice, and ten voted against perjury. So it was a 50/50 split on obstruction, 45/55 on perjury. Even if every Republican had voted to convict, they'd have needed to swing 12 Democrats.

I bring that up because that vote, like an increasingly large number of votes since, was almost exclusively on party lines. Do we expect a Republican-majority Senate to vote to convict a sitting president of their own party? And even if some tectonic shifting took place in the next election - let's say it was 55 Democrats in that version - are they going to swing any Republican votes at all? I don't see it.

It would take a Nixon/Watergate type event to get those kind of votes.

Bill Clinton was impeached. He was impeached for lying under oath during a deposition in front of a federal judge. Clinton was tried by the U.S. Senate but not convicted of any of the articles of impeachment.