2nd Region Tournament Preview & Predictions

WKY

Power Rankings

1. Henderson County (24-5, 9-1)

Despite losing to Webster County in the 6th District championship game, the Lady Colonels are still the team to beat in this tournament. They have the best player in the region in Alisha Owens and they surround her with outstanding shooters. It will take a special game plan and a special performance, much like Webster County was able to do, to beat this team.

2. Webster County (19-12, 12-3)

The Lady Trojans pulled off one of the biggest upsets in postseason play so far in the state. It was the 1st time they have won a district championship in 18 years. Despite losing to Hopkinsville in the 1st game of the season, this is the team with the best chance of ending Henderson County's 2nd region dominance. Nearly every player on their roster can hurt you if you give them an open shot, and there may not be a more deadly shooter in the region than Karlie Keeney.

3. Hopkinsville (22-8, 14-2)

You can't coach size and that is exactly what the Lady Tigers have. Size and a lot of it. Not only are they long but they have some quick guards to go with all of that size. And, in case you have forgotten, they also have dynamic scorer Janiya Davis that can hurt you in so many ways. The Lady Tigers put up a good fight against Henderson County in a close loss so you know they can give them a game. The question remains whether or not they can win 3 big games in a row, including an upset over region power Henderson County. But now is as good of a time as any, since the Lady Tigers reclaimed their city after winning the 8th District championship.

4. Christian County (16-13, 9-4)

The Lady Colonels have struggled since they beat Hopkinsville in their 2nd district matchup. Their only wins since then have been a pair of wins over winless Fort Campbell. However, it cannot be ignored that they have the tools to knock off anyone in the region. Trinitee Jackson is living up to her potential and has been an impossible matchup for opponents as of late. Their guard combo of Aaliyah Hampton and Laderia Gold is one of the best backcourts in the region. Don't expect another early exit for the Lady Colonels.

5. Crittenden County (25-7, 17-4)

What a season the Lady Rockets have had. I, for one, did not see this coming. 25 wins, 5th District champions, 2nd Region All-A champions and an All-A state tournament quarterfinals apperance was more than anyone expected. Cassidy Moss has continued giving opposing defenses headaches and her supporting cast is greatly improved from a year ago.

6. Madisonville-North Hopkins (18-12, 10-5)

The Lady Maroons are the best rebounding team in the region. Thanks in large part to their post combo of Molly Stone, the 2nd leading rebounder in the state, and Kalveona Pepper. Their backcourt and depth continue to trouble the Lady Maroons, but when you can control the boards the way they do you will always have a chance.

7. Lyon County (19-10, 15-9)

The Lady Lyons are another team that has surpassed expectations. Not many expected Lyon County to win 19 games and challenge for the 5th District. Allison Murphy has filled the shoes of Melanie PPoole and Rebecca Somers nicely. The Lady Lyons pride themselves on outstanding defense and patiently waiting for good shots on offense. Their low final scores should tell you that they can effectively control the tempo of a game. Control of the tempo could lead to some upsets.

8. Hopkins County Central (11-19, 7-11)

I am not surprised to see the Lady Storm in the 2nd region tournament, but I am shocked to see them here as a district champion. Their win over Madisonville-North Hopkins may have been the upset everyone was talking about if Webster County had not just beaten Henderson County the night before. The 7th District championship was their 1st in 11 years.

My Predictions

2/27 6:00 PM Webster County vs. Lyon County

These 2 teams played just a few weeks ago in a game that saw Webster County win by a score of 43-28. Even though the Lady Trojans came away with the victory, Lyon County was effective in taking away Karlie Keeney as she finished with just 1 point. Plagued by either poor shooting or outstanding Lady Trojan defense, the Lady Lyons only managed to make 21% of their shots and 13% from outside. I expect a better shooting night from the Lady Lyons but the result will be the same. Webster County by 10 points.

2/27 7:40 PM Hopkins County Central vs. Christian County

These 2 met back on December 1st in game that Christian County won 56-44. I was there to watch my Lady Colonels and this one was a lot closer than than the score says. The Lady Storm lead a good portion of the game, but Trinitee Jackson and company were just too much for the Lady Storm. I expect another great game, especially since the Lady Storm are hot right now and the Lady Colonels are still recovering from the Hoptown loss. Christian County by 3 points.

2/28 6:00 PM Hopkinsville vs. Madisonville-North Hopkins

The Lady Tigers won their regular season matchup 59-51 on January 3rd. Janiya Davis lead the way with 23 points and 7 rebounds, while Brynin Carver got hot from outside for Madisonville with 5 treys. This just feels like a bad matchup for the Lady Maroons. The size of the Lady Tigers neutralizes the strengths of the Lady Maroons. This game will come down to guard play. Hopkinsville by 10 points.

2/28 7:40 PM Crittenden County vs. Henderson County

When Webster County upset Henderson County, every district champion celebrated Thursday night only to cringe Saturday morning when they waited to see if they would draw Henderson County on the bracket. Crittenden County's reward for an outstanding season was a opening round game against the best district runner-up in the state. These 2 did not play in the regular season but most already know what the outcome will be. Henderson County by 20 points.

3/3 6:00 PM Semifinals

A rematch from Valentine's Day: Christian County vs. Webster County. The Lady Trojans won the 1st matchup 63-56 in the middle of their current winning streak. I expect a similar result in this one. Webster County by 6 points.

3/3 7:40 PM Semifinals

A Hopkinsville/Henderson County rematch that could play spoiler to Henderson County's quest for yet another 2nd Region championship. Henderson County won 57-49 when they met in January. While I think Hopkinsville has the roster to be in contention for the upset, I don't think it will happen. Losing the 6th District championship will have the Lady Colonels focused and determined to get another shot at Webster County. Henderson County by 15 points.

3/4 7:00 PM Championship

I expect a rematch of the 6th District championship game for the 3rd consecutive year. Last year, Webster County let one get away in the final seconds. But they were playing the role of underdog. They come into this game as an equal since they were the preason favorites by many and are fresh off the upset to win the 6th District championship. I'm afraid, however, that Webster may have won the battle but they will lose the war. Henderson County by 8 points.

My predictions were 7 for 7. There wasn't much parody in this tournament. I will go ahead and say that next year is my Lady Colonels year. Christian County will win the region next year.