Your Moment of Truth-Would You Own Up to Your Darkest Secrets on Natl TV for $$$ ?

Science Friction

Do you folks remember TV show called "The Moment of Truth"? It was a very controversial game show which offered contestants the opportunity to win up to $500,000 for answering a series of 21 very, very personal questions. Some of these questions were so personal that they destroyed relationships with friends, spouses, and other family members. Contestants were hooked up to a polygraph and asked a series of questions prior to appearing on the show. Once on the show, they were asked these questions again and all they had to do is ask them honestly in front of family and friends and a nationwide audience.

Some of the more tame questions were:

Last time you were on a trip without your wife, did you flirt with other women? Do you sometimes wish you had never married your wife? Since you have been married , have you ever fantasized about having relations with another woman? Have you ever stolen anything from your workplace? Have you ever cheated on your wife/husband? Are you physically attracted to one of your wife's sisters? During confession, have you ever lied to a priest? Do you believe your father has ever had sexual relations with a minor?

Let's face it, every single one of us have, at times, not been the best of ourselves. Often in moments of weakness, we have made poor decisions, sometimes shockingly poor decisions. Would you be willing to admit to your darkest secrets to a national television audience for money, even at the risk of damaging close relationships?

Think of a couple of the most embarrassing or shocking things that most people don't know about you; maybe something that would be so damaging to your reputation or your relationships that you plan to take it to your grave . Would you tell the truth and reveal your dark secrets for 500 grand?

Personally, I found the show to be an interesting study in psychology but it also exploited the worst of our nature for the pleasure and entertainment of others. We love our gossip, innuendo, and salacious secrets .

Would you go for the money???

Edited by Science Friction

I remember this show, I watched it one time I think. Didn't the spouse, friend, or family member have a say in whether your answer was revealed? Never had the overwhelming urge to be a contestant on this show. :popcorn:

Would you fare better than the unlikeable blonde in the video clip on the question "Do You Think You are a Good Person" ?

I'll be honest...that's a TOUGH question. I watched that video. If that question was asked to me, my initial reaction would be to say "absolutely I'm a good person". BUT, as one is saying that, do you start thinking about the bad stuff you have done thru the years and start questioning yourself? And it doesn't have to be murder, rape and arson. Examples; you think about the bad way you dumped an ex-girlfriend and completely disrespected her...the time you lied to your boss about being sick...the couple of times you "dined and dashed" as a stupid teenager...the $5 bill you took out of you dad's wallet to get some beer at 15 years old. So, as you are answering that question, those things are flashing through your head. Relatively speaking, those actions don't make you a bad person, but they were bad singular actions. But in thinking of those things, does your brain register the thought that "yep, you are a bad person"?