Inside the 8th region Final Edition

With the regular season wrapping up, it is tourney time in the Bluegrass State. Games got under way last night, with mostly 4/5 seed play in games, however some were 1 vs. 4 seeds. Everyone likes looking forward to Wednesday games because generally that is 2 vs. 3 and in our region there are some games on slate that will send 3 of our top 6 teams home already and make someone's path a lot easier in getting to Rupp Arena. It is an absolute blast to cover this region, I do it for the kids and I hope it has been a good read for BGP. Let us not forget that there are some awful good seniors out there that will play their last games this week, and we should appreciate what they have done for basketball throughout their career.

Instead of re-cap I am doing a district preview and match up. Enjoy :clap:

29th District: Oh my goodness, if you ask me it may have the 3 hottest teams in it right now. Here is the kicker one of them will be done after this week is over.

1. Oldham County Colonels- The Colonels come into the district as the host school, where they are hard to beat in Buckner. The Colonels wrap up the season with a (24-5) record, with 2 blemishes at home. They have (3) all region selections in Senior Ishamel Jones, juniors Jackson Gibson, and Zach Larimore, and I almost bet you that Travis Henderson got some votes as well. It is the 3 headed monster that has taken turns against opponents that make them dangerous. The Colonels have shown that they can be beaten but it will be a hard task for an 8th region team, after all they are undefeated in regional play. You have to handle their pressure and keep their guards out of the lane. The Colonels are playing the #4 seed Trimble County Tuesday (2/21).

2. South Oldham Dragons- The Dragons like the Colonels are hot, winners of 10 out of their last 11 games. They are led by POY Jo Griffin, who does it all for the Dragons, he can get double digit rebounds, points, assists and steals in games, and dominate the game without really scoring a whole lot of points. Very good basketball player, I say he is a throwback player and it makes me happy to see someone play that way. However he is not all they have, another senior Aaron Franklin is, you guessed it, a very good 3 point shooter and not to mention another all region selection in junior Devin Young at (16.6 ppg). The Dragons have made (338) 3's at 41% which is scary for other teams. Another stat that is a tourney stat is they shoot 72% for the charity stripe. If the Dragons are hot your season could be over.

3. North Oldham Mustangs- No one is playing better than the Mustangs right now. They are winners of 12 out of their last 13 games, BUT you guessed it that loss came to the Dragons. They sometimes struggle guarding the ball, and it can cost them in their match up, however they can flat out score, and have 2 players that can get hot and send you home in an elimination game. Wheeler (15ppg) and Henry (21ppg) compliment each other very well, but lets not forget the junior Justin Rose who is shooting 40% form 3 point land himself. Can these 3 get hot and win the 8th region? We shall see.

4. Trimble County Raiders- The Raiders have had another long season, they have gotten 4 wins, and beating Thomas Nelson was a nice win for this team. They are led by junior Troy Grieshaber at (12ppg) and has put together a nice junior season. The Raiders lose (2) seniors this season, so they are preparing for a good spring/summer and winning more games next year that I predict they will accomplish. I really like Coach May and think he does a great job. The Raiders have a tall task in the Colonels tonight.

District Predictions

Oldham County 82 Trimble County 48

South Oldham 76 North Oldham 74

District Championship

Oldham County 63 South Oldham 62

30th District: Good luck figuring this district out, without a doubt the most balanced district in our region. It has the potential to be some great match-ups this week, and I think a chance to spruce up some rivalry's among the 4 teams. A lot of people see this district as maybe having the team that can beat someone from the 29th, we shall see.

1. Collins Titans- This Titans team was rolling in December, they are the only blemish that a very good 5th region team has in Adair County, and then the injury bug bit the Titans. They however got some valuable time for their young kids, but lost chemistry and much needed conditioning. They have got their players back, the question remains, is it to little to late? The Titans square off with cross town rival at Collins in the first round, I know on paper it appears the Titans will handle the Rockets easy, not so fast my friend. The Titans are led by 4 guys that average double figures, Cochran (16ppg) Turner (12ppg), Fort (11ppg) and Feltner (12ppg), but it could be freshmen PG Dayviuon McKnight that determines whether or not this Gaither team will be dancing. They have some depth as well, and could be a huge factor in winning the region, but first thing first beat the Rockets.

2. Spencer County Bears- This Bears team, has some experience and a youth revolution, a company that with some good coaching and you have some excitement as witnessed on this board :thumb: The Bears can be looked at 2 different ways, #1 they are young and it will be their undoing OR #2 they are to young to know any better and play free. The Bears don't have much size and that worry's me for them, however they shoot the ball well and it can make up for somethings. They are led by Junior Jacob Coke (11ppg) and senior's Bryson Cannon (11)ppg and Daniel Wheeler (10ppg). Both upper classmen. Then comes the young kids in Conley, and Cole. I have said it before, they lose (20ppg) this year and some leadership, but exciting times in Taylorsville for sure.

3. Anderson County Bearcats- This team was pre-season a lot of people's choice to cut the nets down at the Roy, and they may still do that. It has been a roller coaster ride for these Bearcats, but when you have a good coaching staff, that roller coaster can become a smooth ride and that is what they are hoping for in Lawrencburg. Of course they are led by Cobe Penny at (24ppg) he can definitely beat you in a lot of different ways, but let us not forget that they have some other players that can hurt you. They have (3) other players averaging double digits in juniors, Gritton (12ppg) and Pittman (10ppg). Throw in a senior that I think is sneaky good in Garmon, and the Bearcats are not going away anytime soon. They will be in the conversation again next season as well.

4. Shelby County Rockets- This team in some eyes have under achieved but post season has nothing to do with regular season, and a win over Collins will be an awesome achievement for this team. They are playing better as of late, winning at Gallatin is not an easy task. The Rockets are led by Senior Jordan Armstrong, who quietly averages (12ppg) and (6 Reb) per game. They are starting to play their younger kids, and quite frankly look more excited and doing what Coach Cates is asking of them. The Rockets have 3-4 guys averaging around 8-9 points each in Robinson, Stainaker, and Edwards. They have a big team when they put all of these guys on the floor, if they get good guard play against the Titans it could get interesting Tuesday night.

District Predictions

Collins 63 Shelby County 54

Anderson County 67 Spencer County 65

Championship Game

Collins 58 Anderson County 53

31st District: A battle of the small schools in New Castle this week. And to be honest, it would not surprise me at all to see any of the 5 advance and win this week. There are a lot of good coaches in this district and some heated rivalry's making it competitive round of games. Everyone has played each other twice and in some cases 3 times, so they know each other very well.

Gallatin County Wildcats- The Jon Jones boys are healthy it appears. They had a bump in the road losing Wilson those last 2 weeks but it is post season time, and I am not wanting to play the Wildcats if I am an 8th region team. They play with a chip on their shoulder and will do anything to beat you. The Wildcats are led by all region selection Mason Wilson's (19ppg) contest. He can beat you several ways especially at the charity stripe where he is 85% and has made 154-183, but lets not forget Justin Rassmen chips in (11ppg) as well. This Gallatin team will grind you and find a way at the end if you let them.

Henry County Wildcats- The Wildcats are hosting the tourney this week, and are eyeing their first district championship under Welch. They are led by Hinkle's (19ppg) that I am shocked didn't get an all region selection, and Foree's (10ppg). The Wildcats are more than capable of winning this district and are dangerous especially at home. The question remains who can get a bucket when teams focus on Hinkle.

Owen County Rebels- This Rebels team has lost a lot close games this season, and played a brutal schedule down the stretch. I am one that thinks it will help them this week. Coach Duvall has won this district the last 4 years if I am not mistaken and knows how to get it done. They are led by McNally (13ppg), Osborne (11ppg) and Tackett (10ppg), all 3 averaging double figures.

Eminence Warriors- Coach Brown has the Warriors primed to go into New Castle and win this district. They are led by all region selection Kemryn Jenkins (27ppg) and a slew of players averaging double figures. Dixie (12ppg), Jones (11ppg), Dotson (10ppg) all averaging double digits. The defensive end is where this team struggles and they have no depth. But this many kids that can score in an elimination game makes them dangerous.

Carroll County Pantehers- This Panther team has been through a tough stretch, but scratched out 2 wins toward the end of the season. They are more than capable of beating any of these teams, as they have played them all well throughout the season. They are led by Evan McMahan's (18ppg) and Stewarts (12ppg), the bad news is these 2 guys are seniors.

District Predictions

Owen County 64 Carroll County 55 (play in game)

Henry County 65 Eminence 62

Gallatin County 63 Owen County 59

Championshiop Game

Gallatin County 58 Henry County 55

32nd District

Simon Kenton Pioneers- This Pioneers team was taken a beating from a lot of people on this site, and I kept saying they needed younger kids to step up and help the big 2, and they have here lately. Making this team dangerous for post season. Coach Steiner plays a brutal schedule that alot of teams do not play, if the Pioneers played a soft schedule I am sure they would win their share of games, but it is post season that matters. The Pioneers have size and lots of teams do not. They are led by all region selection J.C. Hawkins (12ppg) and Kelch's (13ppg) (8 reb) per game. It could be the emergence of Sophomore Sergeant (10ppg) and 8th grader Neice that have sparked the Neers here lately. This team shoots 73% from FT line, and are a match up nightmare for most 8th region teams.

Walton Verona Bearcats- What a season these Bearcats are having. Winners of the 8th region All A, and (24) regular season wins. Coach Brennan was named COY, a well deserved award for his efforts over the last couple seasons to prepare them for now. They are led by 2 all region performers in Deionte Miles (12ppg) and Zach Clinkenbeard (11ppg). A stat that sticks out to me about this team is their (927 rebounds), that means as a team they do not give up many second chance points. If the Bearcats can make you play their style they are dangerous.

Williamstown Demons- Question remains if the Demons are healthy. They are the host of the 32nd district tourney which make them even more dangerous. They have put together a nice season, and Coach Harden has done a wonderful job. They are led by all region performer Brennan Stanley (18ppg), and if he is healthy will lead this team this week. Lets not forget that the Demons have (2) other guys that are averaging double digits in Fox (10ppg) and Jump (11ppg) both of these guys can get going and send your team home. This team has attempted over (700) 3 pointers making over (200), as they say, live and die by the 3.

Grant County Braves- A team that is accustomed to somehow winning this district over the last couple year, and I think very capable of doing it again. The Braves are led by Zach Tuggles (15ppg) but also have (2) other guys hitting double digits in Adkins (13ppg) and McClure (11ppg). When you have 3 guys that can score you are dangerous in post season play. This team has over a (1,000) rebounds this season and indication of just how hard they play.

District Prediction

Simon Kenton 62 Walton Verona 61 (OT)

Williamstown 64 Grant Count 60

Championship Game

Simon Kenton 65 Williamstown 59

Enjoyed your article. Thank you for all the time and effort you put into it. I have just one correction. You got senior Caleb Sergeant and his younger brother mixed up for Simon Kenton. Caleb has been playing very well.

Edited by bigmanbball
Spelling

Great write-up but come on, can't be final addition we still have a region tournament to predict.

Best matchup is the North and South Game.

2nd. Simon Kenton/ Walton Verona.

3rd. Henry and Eminence

I agree with these 3 but I think you would have to include the Anderson/Spencer game as well.