2017 NKY Youth Football

UK#1fanisback

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Football first practice starts in July. Some new rules for the Midget level no kick offs or punts from what I heard.

No issue with those rules at that level at all. Punts and kickoff's are for the most part, symbolic at that age....no one does it even close to well.

Agree

The game at that age should stress fundamentals and participation.

Yep. I've coached at that level, and removing punts and kickoff's from the games, gives you more practice time on fundamentals...blocking, tackling etc. When you've only got 3 days of practice, any time you spend on something you'll still be terrible at despite practicing, is a waste of time.

No issue with those rules at that level at all. Punts and kickoff's are for the most part, symbolic at that age....no one does it even close to well.

I disagree last year my sons team won most of there games from kickoffs. They recovered probably 15 onside kicks. They also had an excellent punt team.

I disagree last year my sons team won most of there games from kickoffs. They recovered probably 15 onside kicks. They also had an excellent punt team.

Almost every kick at that level is an onside kick as they rarely get that far downfield. While recovering one or two onside kicks a game is nice, it's not doing anything to develop kicking skills, or kickoff coverage skills. As far as punts, i'm not sure what you call excellent, but I've never seen a solid punt team at the level that can regularly net more than 20 yards or so, and effectively change field position.

Teams at that level win games because they block and tackle well, and can execute a handful of plays, not because they are great at special teams.

Almost every kick at that level is an onside kick as they rarely get that far downfield. While recovering one or two onside kicks a game is nice, it's not doing anything to develop kicking skills, or kickoff coverage skills. As far as punts, i'm not sure what you call excellent, but I've never seen a solid punt team at the level that can regularly net more than 20 yards or so, and effectively change field position.

Teams at that level win games because they block and tackle well, and can execute a handful of plays, not because they are great at special teams.

Well the past 2 years my sons team has been excellent at everything they do. Only lost one game in 2 years and back to back superbowls. Plus they had excellent coaching.

Well the past 2 years my sons team has been excellent at everything they do. Only lost one game in 2 years and back to back superbowls. Plus they had excellent coaching.

My comments have nothing to do with how good your sons team is or isn't. And even if your son's team is the best kickoff/punt team in the world, it doesn't mean that kickoffs and punts are a necessary or important part of football for 8 and 9 year olds. Taking them out of the game is just fine and allows teams to work on the fundamentals and blocking and tackling skill that are way more important than 15 yard punts and 10-20 yard kickoffs.

My comments have nothing to do with how good your sons team is or isn't. And even if your son's team is the best kickoff/punt team in the world, it doesn't mean that kickoffs and punts are a necessary or important part of football for 8 and 9 year olds. Taking them out of the game is just fine and allows teams to work on the fundamentals and blocking and tackling skill that are way more important than 15 yard punts and 10-20 yard kickoffs.

I think the main reason they took away kick offs and punts is player safety.

I think the main reason they took away kick offs and punts is player safety.

Obviously. Many major injuries I've seen at the youth level have occurred on special teams. My point was taking kicks out of the game won't hurt it all, while making it safer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I personally think Boone County Peewee teams should join NKYFL and be one huge league.

The no weight-limit in Boone would probably be a problem.

I thought that, with the emergence of high schools having grade school teams, the NKYFL was doing away with the senior divisions, but it looks like they still have them (Spartans, at least).

Anybody know what the numbers are like on the senior division team?