Johnson Central 2017

Ram

Eagles will be very good once more.

I know there are better sources who follow them more closely that can elaborate.

For starters they return QB Riley Preece, HB's Blake Gamble, Cody Rice, and Trevor May. That alone would make them formidable as that is nearly 2500 total yards combined. Then you factor in HB Joe Jackson, who had a breakout Sophomore season rushing for 2000 yards and 31 TD's, and suddenly the Eagle backfield is among the best in the State returning.

Gamble will help anchor the Defense along with DL Dawson Stalker and Soph Devin Johnson. The Eagles were absolutely sensational on Defense last season but will have several holes to fill. They have a lot of young talent, but I anticipate them to take some bumps as they get on the job training.

The Eagles will have a quality OLine returning, but the big question mark on Offense will be finding someone for Preece to throw to. The Eagles lose by far their two best receiving threats in TE Noah Frisby and WR Geordan Blanton and those two guys were vital cogs to the JC Offensive machine as they forced teams to have to honor the passing game.

Blanton in general will be a tough hole to fill as he was a gamebreaker in every aspect of the word on every side of the ball. I anticipate they will lean on Blake Gamble more to pick up some of that slack.

If JC can come along on Defense and overcome their youth, and if they can find that receiving threat to force Defenses to commit a Safety and their Corners to the passing game, I would think they will be an early top contender to challenge for the Title once more in 4A.

Joe Jackson may be the next JJ Jude.

Eagles will be very good once more.

I know there are better sources who follow them more closely that can elaborate.

For starters they return QB Riley Preece, HB's Blake Gamble, Cody Rice, and Trevor May. That alone would make them formidable as that is nearly 2500 total yards combined. Then you factor in HB Joe Jackson, who had a breakout Sophomore season rushing for 2000 yards and 31 TD's, and suddenly the Eagle backfield is among the best in the State returning.

Gamble will help anchor the Defense along with DL Dawson Stalker and Soph Devin Johnson. The Eagles were absolutely sensational on Defense last season but will have several holes to fill. They have a lot of young talent, but I anticipate them to take some bumps as they get on the job training.

The Eagles will have a quality OLine returning, but the big question mark on Offense will be finding someone for Preece to throw to. The Eagles lose by far their two best receiving threats in TE Noah Frisby and WR Geordan Blanton and those two guys were vital cogs to the JC Offensive machine as they forced teams to have to honor the passing game.

Blanton in general will be a tough hole to fill as he was a gamebreaker in every aspect of the word on every side of the ball. I anticipate they will lean on Blake Gamble more to pick up some of that slack.

If JC can come along on Defense and overcome their youth, and if they can find that receiving threat to force Defenses to commit a Safety and their Corners to the passing game, I would think they will be an early top contender to challenge for the Title once more in 4A.

Joe Jackson may be the next JJ Jude.

Very good analysis. The Horn twins will be back as well as Bingham on the line. Like you said though, the receivers are the big question mark. They have some tall fast kids coming in from the middle school but they will probably need a year to adjust to the Varsity level with respect to strength.

Geordan Blanton is impossible to replace. Kids like that rarely come along for any program.

Any schedule difficulties? I know it seems like every offseason has the Eagles scrambling for a game. Hopefully not this time around.

From what I have been told they are one game short right now. Harlan County and Lexington Catholic declined to renew their contracts. JC has Capital, South Charleston, Belfry then district play with Boyd County, East Carter, Greenup, Ashland, and Rowan County. One of the teams they got to replace Harlan County and Lexington Catholic in the non-district schedule (nothing confirmed yet) is Tates Creek. I know they have reached out to many many teams for a home and home 2 year contract and you would be surprised who said no or who said we will play one year only but at our place. Very few will give the return game and Matney has always said he would play anyone that was willing to sign a two year deal and come to JC at least once.

From what I have been told they are one game short right now. Harlan County and Lexington Catholic declined to renew their contracts. JC has Capital, South Charleston, Belfry then district play with Boyd County, East Carter, Greenup, Ashland, and Rowan County. One of the teams they got to replace Harlan County and Lexington Catholic in the non-district schedule (nothing confirmed yet) is Tates Creek. I know they have reached out to many many teams for a home and home 2 year contract and you would be surprised who said no or who said we will play one year only but at our place. Very few will give the return game and Matney has always said he would play anyone that was willing to sign a two year deal and come to JC at least once.

Correction. Just talked to some people and it seems JC might have picked up Henry Clay and South Laurel. Sorry for the confusion. Again this is just the rumor.

Anybody notice a correlation between JC's success on the football field with their success on the wrestling mat? Several of JC's offensive and defensive starters are wrestlers. I wish more football coaches would buy in to the wrestling programs, it would benefit both sports exponentially.

Anybody notice a correlation between JC's success on the football field with their success on the wrestling mat? Several of JC's offensive and defensive starters are wrestlers. I wish more football coaches would buy in to the wrestling programs, it would benefit both sports exponentially.

They have been strong at wrestling ever since Matney arrived. Matney is a big wrestling guy and even had Sheldon Clark strong at wrestling when he was there.

I think you have a good point though, as I have seen other programs look to wrestling as well. Belfry has several football players who wrestle now instead of basketball or baseball.

• 5 months later...