KY High School Lacrosse - Sanctioned Sport???

I am hoping someone out there can help me out.

My question is: What will it take to make Boys & Girls Lacrosse a sanctioned sport in the state of Kentucky?

I personally feel that lacrosse is about where soccer was about 5 or 10 years ago and is coming on with greater numbers ever year including at the middle school levels. But I live in Louisville and that may be a facade for a lack of popularity in the rest of the state.

What is your opinion?

I am hoping someone out there can help me out.

My question is: What will it take to make Boys & Girls Lacrosse a sanctioned sport in the state of Kentucky?

I personally feel that lacrosse is about where soccer was about 5 or 10 years ago and is coming on with greater numbers ever year including at the middle school levels. But I live in Louisville and that may be a facade for a lack of popularity in the rest of the state.

What is your opinion?

Probably 30-40 years ago in high school.

I am not sure if there is anything specific preventing KHSAA from taking over the sanctioning of the sport. With a little over 30 schools - mostly in the metro Louisville, Lexington and NKY areas - it could be the KHSAA just does not see a need to jump in until there is statewide growth.

I am not sure if there is anything specific preventing KHSAA from taking over the sanctioning of the sport. With a little over 30 schools - mostly in the metro Louisville, Lexington and NKY areas - it could be the KHSAA just does not see a need to jump in until there is statewide growth.

Great points Bluegrass!!! I guess my only remaining thought would be: how did field hockey get sanctioned with 19 all girl (no boys teams) teams that are basically centered in Louisville and NKY?

Great points Bluegrass!!! I guess my only remaining thought would be: how did field hockey get sanctioned with 19 all girl (no boys teams) teams that are basically centered in Louisville and NKY?

Title !X concerns/issues, maybe?

The other thing is the appearance of politics in the sport with two leagues in current operation. The split came about about 6 or 7 years ago when the Louisville powers and the rest of the state teams could not come to agreement on how maintain tiered divisions. There were 3 divisions when there when KLA ran the whole state at a high school level. But there was a push to keep 8 teams in the top division using the previous years LAXPOWER ratings by the Louisville teams. And with their numbers and year in and year out talent levels that would have worked if some of the other schools were as established with talent and numbers level. But outside of 4 or 5 teams in Louisville the rest of the state teams would swing between being very good one year and be less strong the following the year. And so they went ahead and split into two leagues. My guess is that KHSAA would not want to try to fix that situation. Its a bit better now with schools like Henry Clay and LexCath having strong teams most years but not sure if there is any discussion of 'reuniting' under one sanctioning league.

Finally there is the cost of the sport. If you have kids that play you know its expensive to fit up players. That maybe the #1 inhibitor. And then there is competition with facilities. Schools with multi-use artificial turf fields may fair better but even then there is always conflict for that valuable real-estate. Schools with natural football and soccer fields probably are concerned about the added use of natural grass fields.

Its a great sport. Allows for lots of participation with on-the-fly subsitution and lots of action. Not many bench warmers in this sport. Its a physical sport that allows smaller players to compete much more than HS football. Hopefully it will continue to expand.

This was discussed at an AD meeting a couple of years ago. Basically the amount of interest by the schools in adding lacrosse has actually decreased.

Title !X concerns/issues, maybe?

The other thing is the appearance of politics in the sport with two leagues in current operation. The split came about about 6 or 7 years ago when the Louisville powers and the rest of the state teams could not come to agreement on how maintain tiered divisions. There were 3 divisions when there when KLA ran the whole state at a high school level. But there was a push to keep 8 teams in the top division using the previous years LAXPOWER ratings by the Louisville teams. And with their numbers and year in and year out talent levels that would have worked if some of the other schools were as established with talent and numbers level. But outside of 4 or 5 teams in Louisville the rest of the state teams would swing between being very good one year and be less strong the following the year. And so they went ahead and split into two leagues. My guess is that KHSAA would not want to try to fix that situation. Its a bit better now with schools like Henry Clay and LexCath having strong teams most years but not sure if there is any discussion of 'reuniting' under one sanctioning league.

Finally there is the cost of the sport. If you have kids that play you know its expensive to fit up players. That maybe the #1 inhibitor. And then there is competition with facilities. Schools with multi-use artificial turf fields may fair better but even then there is always conflict for that valuable real-estate. Schools with natural football and soccer fields probably are concerned about the added use of natural grass fields.

Its a great sport. Allows for lots of participation with on-the-fly subsitution and lots of action. Not many bench warmers in this sport. Its a physical sport that allows smaller players to compete much more than HS football. Hopefully it will continue to expand.

This was discussed at an AD meeting a couple of years ago. Basically the amount of interest by the schools in adding lacrosse has actually decreased.

THIS and THIS. These were the answers I was looking for. I thank you both!!!

I did not realize the level of internal politics that are already long established for lacrosse. That and obviously the costs are likely the standing road block for it becoming a sanctioned sport.

The level of "interest by the schools" is likely as much a factor of overworked AD staff and dollars and facilities that don't want to tax the system anymore even if a team could successfully be fielded.

Seems to still be a ways to go for lacrosse!

I think it is a good sport. My daughters play and love it and their friends do to. I guess that has everything to do with my observance of the sport vs those without that observance.