Bengals projected to get 4 compensatory picks in 2017 NFL Draft

Now, the Bengals will get some compensation for their trouble. Over the Cap has released a projection of which players are expected to net their former teams compensatory picks. Jones and Sanu are each bringing the Bengals a fourth-round pick in the OTC projection, while Nelson and Smith's departures are projected to net two sixth-round picks.

Bengals projected to get 4 compensatory picks in 2017 NFL Draft - Cincy Jungle

4th round picks for Marvin Jones & Sanu seems light, but I'll take it.

We didn't have to let them go but I hear you.

Any way you cut it, I will take three or four additional draft picks. We need a lot depth/help going into 2017.

Someone explain compensatory picks to me, in lament's terms?

Compensatory picks[edit]

In addition to the 32 selections in each of the seven rounds, a total of 32 compensatory picks are awarded to teams that have lost more or better compensatory free agents than they signed in the previous year.[59] Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks are awarded each year at the NFL annual meeting which is held at the end of March; typically, about three or four weeks before the draft. Compensatory picks may not be traded (however, this will change beginning with the 2017 NFL draft).[60] The placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick. However, the NFL has never revealed the exact formula used to determine allotment of compensatory picks, though observers from outside the NFL have been able to reverse engineer it to some degree of certainty.[61]

All compensatory picks are awarded at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7. If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded after the final Round 7 compensatory picks in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft; these picks are known as "supplemental compensatory selections". More than 32 compensatory picks have been awarded only on one occasion: the 2016 NFL Draft, where 33 picks were awarded; the additional pick was awarded (under an agreement between the NFL Management Council and the NFLPA)

No excuse to not get a kicker with all the extra picks.

The only way is if there just aren't any that are who they like. Then they can pick up undrafted guys. These guys know where they have a chance and I believe the Bengals will be the #1 team looking for one. More than likely, though there should be someone to draft.

Best part is that compensatory picks can now be traded, so we can use those picks to move up to get quality players (especially the fourth rounders).

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a franchise center in this draft which I think is our biggest need.

Pocic could fit but I think he'd struggle against the push of the massive NTs of the division, and not to mention that Dalton might have troubles seeing over him on passes over the middle.

And, as much as I'd love an OSU dude, I think Eifen is undersized.