How does a sophomore lead the state with 1300+yds and 21TD's

Railhew

Somebody tell me how Marquel Tinsley has 1300+ yards and 21 tds which leads the state as a sophomore while playing 6A football and he doesn't get 1st,2nd or 3rd team all state just honorable mention. I think coaches vote on this, if so those guys have no buisness voting. Can anyone help with this?

OK, I'll try. Is he better than any of these seven guys? If not, that's why he was honorable mention:

Dante Hendrix, Cooper

Jake Johnson, Pulaski County

Keyron Catlett, Christian County

Milton Wright, Christian Academy

C.J. Hayes, South Warren

Jordan Gunter, Ballard

DeAngelo Wilson, Bowling Green

Somebody tell me how Marquel Tinsley has 1300+ yards and 21 tds which leads the state as a sophomore while playing 6A football and he doesn't get 1st,2nd or 3rd team all state just honorable mention. I think coaches vote on this, if so those guys have no business voting. Can anyone help with this?

The same reason that Derrick Barnes from Cov Holy Cross ran for 1300+ yards & 19 tds with 11+ yards per carry. Did I fail to mention that he was a 1st team all state LB.

Somebody tell me how Marquel Tinsley has 1300+ yards and 21 tds which leads the state as a sophomore while playing 6A football and he doesn't get 1st,2nd or 3rd team all state just honorable mention. I think coaches vote on this, if so those guys have no buisness voting. Can anyone help with this?
No doubt that he is deserving but name recognition goes a long way when those names are putting up great stats and their teams are successful. I imagine that Tinsley will be on All State Teams as a junior and senior now that these kids ahead of him on the All State list will be moving on to play on Saturdays now.

Same way a QB who was #1 on KHSAA for the year didn't make any of the teams

either.

Just as PP92 mentioned, a big part of it is name recognition. He now has his name out there. If he continues next season with a similar type of season as this year he will be mentioned. No one knew of him coming into the year. Name recognition is 80% of it when it comes to recognition for awards etc.

A) What schedule did he play against to acquire these stats? (this is not a loaded question; I honestly don't know where he played)

B) How "connected" is his coach with lots of other head coaches (for it is a coaches' vote in the C-J)? A lot of times (not always) some of the votes are 'acquired' through emails saying, "you vote for my OL kid, I'll vote for your WR."

C) How much was he "hyped" by his own school, coaching staff, and the media outlets in his area (I include people coming onto THIS site as important hype)?

He plays for Union County. Enough said.

Got it. I'm sure he's a good player, but most of Ky runs the ball, so there are a lot of chances for lead RBs to pile up some nice yardage.

Western Hills soph WanDale Robinson went for 2,015 yards on 165 carries (12.2 ypc) and 28 TDs, scored 6 other TDs via receiving or returns, and had 5 conversions to go with more than 400 receiving yards.

It's tough to get noticed when that's the class flagship for sophomores.

He plays at Daviess County, which is in Owensboro, which is in Western Kentucky. Western Kentucky might as well be on Jupiter, to people on this site. Those around the 3rd Region definitely know him. I'm sure those teams he scored 21tds against know him, lol. He was all Messenger 1st team and is at the Army All American combine this weekend.

I find a lot of people want All-State awards to reflect statistical rankings and polls to reflect standings.

If you want that vindication, simply look at the stats and the standings. But All-State awards and polls - for better or worse - primarily are based on opinions.

I find a lot of people want All-State awards to reflect statistical rankings and polls to reflect standings.

If you want that vindication, simply look at the stats and the standings. But All-State awards and polls - for better or worse - primarily are based on opinions.

Typically Louisville, Lexington and Northern Kentucky dominate these teams, Western Kentucky typically is ignored. Popularity contest is what it boils down too, unfortunately.