Black & Decker to Open New Factory in the USA

Stanley Black & Decker to open U.S. plant after Trump's 'border tax' threat

From the Article:

Stanley Black & Decker said Thursday that it would open a new $35 million manufacturing plant in the U.S. after acquiring the Craftsman tool brand from ailing retailer Sears Holdings.

Expanding American manufacturing makes "business sense" amid "pervasive" uncertainty regarding the future of U.S. trade with China and Mexico, Stanley Black & Decker CEO James Loree told investors Thursday in a conference call.

Although he did not mention Donald Trump by name in his remarks to investors, Loree's comments had all the hallmarks of an effort to inoculate his company from the possible effects of the president-elect's threatened "border tax."

"We view it sort of as one of several political movements, or concepts, that really drive us to this concept of make-where-we-sell," Loree said. "It’s going to be advisable to have more manufacturing in the U.S."

Stanley Black & Decker has about 3,000 U.S. manufacturing jobs today, up 800 from three years ago, according to a company presentation. It was not immediately clear how many jobs the company plans to add.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There you go again.

You can't post good news in this forum.

Anytime jobs are created it's good news. However, folks are stretching things to tie this to Trump. Why not attribute the 800 jobs that the company added over the last 3 years to Obama?? Where have these job creation posts been the last 8 years?? And don't be intentionally obtuse and say the no jobs were created over the last 8 years, because that simply would not be true.

I heard a new Buffalo Wild Wings is opening in London. #ThanksTrump #MAGA

The little diner in my hometown closed. #thanksObama !

:lol2: I think I'm getting the hang of this.

Are we going to have a thread over everything place that opens in closes over the next year?

The Trump effect won't even hit until about 6 months from now.

Really? That will have to be my lunch stop when I am working there.

I heard a new Buffalo Wild Wings is opening in London. #ThanksTrump #MAGA

The little diner in my hometown closed. #thanksObama !

:lol2: I think I'm getting the hang of this.

Are we going to have a thread over everything place that opens in closes over the next year?

The Trump effect won't even hit until about 6 months from now.

Nah its a Wild Rings and Wings or something like that.

Anytime jobs are created it's good news. However, folks are stretching things to tie this to Trump. Why not attribute the 800 jobs that the company added over the last 3 years to Obama?? Where have these job creation posts been the last 8 years?? And don't be intentionally obtuse and say the no jobs were created over the last 8 years, because that simply would not be true.

Feel free to post all articles Obama has had his hand in that has help keep jobs in America or where companies tied them bringing jobs to America as a direct result of his great American values or job hunting. And feel free to post the jobs that has left because of his policies and regulatory madness while you are at it in the name of fairness as some here have yet to "get their head wrapped around a Trump presidency".

So what is the CEO's attitude here?

Is it "Well, I guess we're stuck opening a factory in the United States because it's looking like our President elect may punish us for not doing so, plus he's likely to really mess up relations with Mexico and China as well."?

Or is it "Yay! It's more profitable for us to open a factory in the United States!"?

Feel free to post all articles Obama has had his hand in that has help keep jobs in America or where companies tied them bringing jobs to America as a direct result of his great American values or job hunting. And feel free to post the jobs that has left because of his policies and regulatory madness while you are at it in the name of fairness as some here have yet to "get their head wrapped around a Trump presidency".

Sorry, I'm at peace with a Trump Presidency. I'm not as hopeful or as taken with the guy as you are, but I'm guessing my life isn't going to change all that much. I also don't need to post any Articles about new business expansions or openings that occurred over the last 8 years...it would be silly to...kind of like posting stuff right now attributing things to Trump before he even takes office.

Sorry, I'm at peace with a Trump Presidency. I'm not as hopeful or as taken with the guy as you are, but I'm guessing my life isn't going to change all that much. I also don't need to post any Articles about new business expansions or openings that occurred over the last 8 years...it would be silly to...kind of like posting stuff right now attributing things to Trump before he even takes office.

I was not even a Trump supporter till he was the only one left. The hypocrisy of some of the posters on here has pushed me to be. I dont like his mannerisms, I dont like his braggart style. But I like all those things more than hypocrites.

Well there was that whole Jobs Bill thing that President Obama proposed, but don't worry, the Republicans managed to shoot that down.

If you'll recall, President Obama stood in front of the Brent Spence Bridge in Cincinnati and gave a speech on how his Jobs Bill would replace the bridge. Who was leading the charge to prevent that? Well none other than Republicans Mitch McConnell and Speaker Of The House John Boehner...whose constituents that bridge directly serves.