You Be The Ref...

Witnessed something I found at once humorous and inexcusable last night.

Fast break with one defender(A) ahead of the ball-handler(B). A sets up to take a charge near the lane, B runs into A, both players fall, two whistles blow.

Official C, who was ahead of the break on the same side of the court as the ball, indicates an offensive foul, as Official D, running the opposite sideline just slightly behind the play calls a blocking foul and reports it to the scorer's table.

C gets the attention of D and the two, along with Official E congregate and, upon the adjournment of the meeting, declare a double foul.

Now, I was waaaaaaay out of position to criticize any call, block or charge, and on a fast break those are about 50/50 calls anyway, but to me, it's one or the other, and if no consensus can be reached, I say throw the thumbs up and give the coaches a sincere "My bad."

Where are our resident professionals in making sense of this mess?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blarge is the call. Jump ball.

Actually that's not true. It depends on where the ball was WHEN the fouls occurred.

In most cases it occurs when the driving dribbler/shooter collides with the defender. In that case, the ball remains with the offense.

Actually that's not true. It depends on where the ball was WHEN the fouls occurred.

In most cases it occurs when the driving dribbler/shooter collides with the defender. In that case, the ball remains with the offense.

I've seen it called a jump ball every time I've seen the blarge called.

I've seen it called a jump ball every time I've seen the blarge called.

If it happened on the play I described they called it incorrectly.

The only time I've seen it be a jump ball is when the collision happens AFTER the ball is released. At that point there is no possession so you go to the arrow.

So the double foul is correct, regardless of how they reached the decision?

The double foul is the call because both signaled how they did. The discussion later is immaterial. The only purpose of that discussion is to make sure they are all clear on how to handle it (i.e. whose ball is it/where do we take it out of bounds/does the goal count, etc).

If it happened on the play I described they called it incorrectly.

The only time I've seen it be a jump ball is when the collision happens AFTER the ball is released. At that point there is no possession so you go to the arrow.

For clarification, B was not in the act of shooting.