11th Region Week 5 Rankings and Recap

The holiday tournaments have come and gone and the 11th Region is starting to take form for the stretch run. As always the 43rd district looks to be a nightmare for the teams involved while the rest of the region could end up in who knows what type of order. Should be a fun ride to February and I expect the cream to rise to the top.

Team of the Week - Madison Southern

The Eagles had an outstanding Christmas break. Winners of 8 in a row and the Mountain School Boy Classic. Michael Jefferson is averaging 16.7 points and 6.8 rebounds per game for the Eagles. After a 0-3 start to the season the Eagles have seemed to find their stride.

Player of the Week - Taveion Hollingsworth

Taveion has averaged 29.2 points over the holiday season against arguably one of the toughest stretches in the state during the King of the Bluegrass and Traditional Bank Holiday Classic. Included in that stretch was a career high 47 point output against Lee, Alabama.

Team Rankings

1. Lexington Christian - The Eagles are on quite the tear lately. They have won 7 straight games and came home with the Gateway Holiday Classic championship and the Central Bank Classic Championship which they hosted. They scored a big win over a good Pulaski County team and were never challenged in Montgomery County. HUGE week for the Eagles as they host 43rd district opponents Lexington Catholic and Paul Laurence Dunbar this week. Big games for seeding purposes in that brutal district.

2. Lexington Catholic - The Knights finished the holiday tournaments stretch with 2 runner up showings against tough competiton. They went to Florida and lost in the Rock Holiday Classic Championship game by 2 and then fell in their own tournament championship game by a close margin to a good Cooper team. This week they travel to rival LCA in a big 43rd district game and then host St. Henry and McLean County.

3. Scott County - The Cardinals only competed in 1 holiday tournament, the Beach Ball Classic in Myrtle Beach. They finished 1-2 against some stiff competition including Evanston, Illinois, one of the top teams in that state. The Cardinals could still make an argument for the 1 spot especially with a win over LCA but a loss against Catholic and 3 is where they stand this week. Next up for Scott County is a trip to a good Oldham County team and then finish up the week at home against 42nd district rival Henry Clay.

4. Paul Laurence Dunbar - The Bulldogs played an absolutely brutal schedule the last 2 weeks in the King of the Bluegrass and Traditional Bank Classic. They fell in close games to Ballard, Doss, and Cooper which are not bad losses and then won all the games they should've. Big week for the Bulldogs as they travel to Madison Central Tuesday and then to LCA in a HUGE district seeding game for both teams. Dunbar squeaked by LCA the first time by 2 points. Expect that to be an outstanding game.

5. Bryan Station - The Defenders had a nice holiday stretch winning some big games along the way including a head to head matchup over Lafayette on a neutral court. David DeMarcus has had some big games for the Defenders and Terrance Clayton-Murphy continues to be a steady scoring threat. This week the Defenders travel to Lafayette and Montgomery County.

6. Lafayette - The Generals started out the holiday season rough going 1-2 in Oldham County but finished strong with a 3rd place showing in the Traditional Bank Holiday Classic with a big comeback over Perry County Central and beating a good Paris team. This week the Generals look for revenge against Bryan Station and then look for a district win over Tates Creek.

7. Madison Central - The Indians had a rough holiday season losing head coach Allen Feldhaus to a 3 game suspension in the process over some questionable technical foul calls in Mason County. The Indians were still competitive and I believe have not reached their highest potential yet this year. Isaiah Cozart continues to be a force for the Indians. This week they host Paul Laurence Dunbar and travel to Woodford County.

8. Madison Southern - As stated above the Eagles have won 8 in a row and had a great holiday season winning the Mountain Schoolboy Classic. This week the Eagles host Woodford County, Montgomery County, and Clark County 3 days in a row. Not a bad schedule this week for the Eagles as they look to continue the winging ways.

9. Henry Clay - The Blue Devils have had their ups and downs so far this season. Guard play continues to be a big thing for Henry Clay. When Brown and Mitchell play well so do the Blue Devils. Big games this week with district opponents Sayre and Scott County.

10. Sayre - The Spartans continue to climb up the rankings. Although they didn't come away with a lot of wins over the break they played some quality competiton closely and look to be getting ready for a run at the all a region. This week they host Henry Clay in what could be an interesting game and then head to Marion County. Jake Duby continues to play well.

11. Tates Creek - The Commandores haven't exactly lit the scoreboard up as far as wins go but they did smoke Woodford County and I believe they are better then anyone else left in the region and have won their last 2 games. This week they have games with Franklin County, Lafayette, and Moore.

12. Woodford County - The Yellow Jackets have won 4 of their last 6 games and have a big week ahead of them. They travel to a hot Madison Southern team and then end the week at Frankfort in a huge 41st district seeding game for both teams.

13. Frankfort - The Panthers have hit the struggle bus lately. Since their win over district rival Franklin County the Panthers have lost 7 in a row, albeit some of those came without big man John Tillman. This Friday they host Woodford County in a big district game and look to go to 3-0 in the 41st.

14. Franklin County - Do I believe the Flyers are the 14th best team in the region, no I don't but the results lately are hard to argue with. They have lost 5 out of 6 some of that came without stand out pg Daiblo Stewart but still the Flyers need some good results this week. They play 2 winnable games with Tates Creek and Western Hills.

15. Western Hills - The Wolverines have lost 4 in a row and need to get back on the winning track quickly. Only one game this week but a big win against crosstown rival Franklin County.

16. Berea - The pirates continue to stay around .500 and have a big game this week with rival Model.

17. Model - The Patriots have won 2 in a row and look to continue to improve with a big rivalry game against Model this week.

Games of the Week

Tuesday Jan. 3rd

Lexington Catholic @ LCA

Scott County @ Oldham County

Henry Clay @ Sayre

Bryan Station @ Lafayette

Friday January 6th

Paul Laurence Dunbar @ LCA

Western Hills @ Franklin County

Woodford County @ Frankfort High

Model @ Berea

This region is so tough but after watching LCA I agree they are at the top. They have 3 6'5" or 6" guys who will make it tough on any team. They crash the boards on every play and Hendrickson can flat out shot the 3 for a big, I have seen all of the top 4 11th region teams play and I think they are playing the best right now. We get a shot at Dunbar tomorrow, hopefully Central can start putting some things together and get an offensive game grooving.

So, who wins between Catholic and LCA tomorrow?

I'll take Catholic and look forward to even more chaos in the 11th

The games between these two teams always intrigue me. I think LCA looks at Catholic as a huge rival but I'm not sure Catholic feels the same way. It's an interesting dynamic. For some reason I really feel like these two will split the season series this year. I could be wrong but just a feeling I get. It's so hard to win at Catholic so if LCA is going to beat them this season it will have to be at LCA which is where the game is tonight. I expect it to be really really close. More then anything it comes down to rebounding the basketball with these two teams.

So, who wins between Catholic and LCA tomorrow?

I'll take Catholic and look forward to even more chaos in the 11th

I think rebounding will be the factor and LCA seems to do it very well the 3 games I have seen them play this year. Catholic guards can be a problem, and are very good, but LCA gets good play out of their guards to get the job done. I think the combination of the Hendrickson from the outside and Rode getting to the basket whenever he wants will be the difference. I didn't think LCA would be in the top of the mix this year because they are a young team, after seeing them, I have to say I was wrong. LCA by 5:thumb: