Just one:What rule would you like to see chaged at the high school level?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to bend the rules a little bit here, and have two different things.

One rule I would like to see enforced better:

1. I think there needs to be a better enforcement of returning kickoffs out of the endzone. By rule, you can't. I've seen players catch it a yard in and return it. I've seen players catch it right on the goal line and not be able to return it. I've seen players catch it at the 1, step into the endzone and return it. I've seen players catch it at the 1, step into the endzone and not be able to return it. I'm fine with the rule, I just want to get a more consistent enforcement.

One thing I would like to see changed:

1. I think the taunting/celebrating and similar rules need to be different and better. I've seen kids get a flag for standing over a player they just tackled, and then see the exact same thing the next week with no flag and just a "come on, guy" type thing from the official. I don't know what exactly officials are trained to look for with these types of flags, but there have been times I've seen things that I felt should have been a flag, not get flagged. I've seen a player flip the ball to an opposing coach, and not get flagged for it (seen that happen in the NFL, and he definitely got flagged for it.)

I think emotions are a huge part of the game, and are a great part of the experience for players, coaches and fans.

But, if we're going to put an emphasis on on-field behavior and antics, it has to be more consistent.

Again, I kind of bent the rules, so that's on me. My bad.

I will bend the rules and comment on a more than one also:

1. Intentional grounding - I believe there is more confusion on this rule than any other in high school. I saw numerous penalties where kids are outside the tackle box and throw the ball away thinking that is allowed. It is not allowed in high school. To avoid confusion and protect QB's from injury, I believe it would be good to allow QB's to throw the ball away once they are outside the tackle box or perhaps make it outside the hash mark to make it easy for refs to call.

2. Taunting - I will agree on thehotsnakes comment above about taunting. The taunting rules need to be clarified. I want taunting rules called tighter. There is no place for it in high school. More discipline is better in high school. I don't want a kid in high school making a sack running off by himself toward the stand and pointing at his jersey saying look at me. None of that self promotion stuff has a place in high school. However, I have seen TD's called back for taunting/unsportsmanlike behavior because a player recovering a fumble, running into the end zone with no opponent within 15 yards of him pointed into the air at the 10 yard line. That is ridiculous.

3. Holding - Is holding by linemen even a penalty any more? Refs just do not call it. I see players getting virtually tackled at the point of impact on plays and no holding is called. It has become far too lax and needs to be tightened up.

If I had to choose one to change, I probably would go with allowing high school QB's to purposely throw the ball away when they get outside the hash.

I would change the pass interference rule and make it as it is in the NFL.

Disagree to an extent. I don't like the possibility of a 50 yard penalty. I like the high school rule of 15 yards for pass interference. I do agree that I don't like PI on clearly uncatchable balls which can be called PI in high school. Give us some more on what you like and don't like about high school PI.

I hate the fact that it is not like the NFL. I think it is so bad to see a player interfere on a play to save a score and the flag is only a 15 yarder.

That is the one part of the high school PI rule I like - the 15 yard penalty versus spot of foul. If you make it a spot of foul call, amateur refs can have too much control/impact on a game at key moments.

A touchback on a kickoff comes out to the 25 yd line. Or go back to giving the option to run out of the endzone or take it at the 20.

A discrepancy I see in the kicking game:

A kickoff goes out of bounds it is either a 5 yd penalty and re-kick or take it at the 35.

If it's a touchback it comes to the 20.

A punt goes out of bounds that's where it is spotted, even if it's at the one. If the punt is a touchback it comes out to the 20.

A touchback on a kickoff comes out to the 25 yd line. Or go back to giving the option to run out of the endzone or take it at the 20.

A discrepancy I see in the kicking game:

A kickoff goes out of bounds it is either a 5 yd penalty and re-kick or take it at the 35.

If it's a touchback it comes to the 20.

A punt goes out of bounds that's where it is spotted, even if it's at the one. If the punt is a touchback it comes out to the 20.

That's not really a discrepancy. They are two different types of kicks. A kickoff is a free kick. A punt is a scrimmage kick.

I say get rid of the taunting rules.

If a kid wants to gloat, let him gloat.

I realize that's unrealistic, but it's just my opinion, I hate that an emotional game isn't allowed to be played with emotion sometimes.