Late rut

dd734

I've never before seen a buck hot after a doe this late in the year, until last night.

Heading home after the Camels game, 10:15-10:30, I see a deer trotting around. Something seemed odd about the way it was acting. As I got closer, I could see it was a nice buck, 140-150 10 point. Nose to the ground. He didn't seem to be bothered by me easing along beside him. I watched him for a few seconds. As I looked past him, there was a doe. I stopped. He seemed to see the doe in my headlights, as he bolted straight for her. She made a big circle out through the river bottoms, him right on her tail, out of sight they went. This scene lasted about a minute.

Anyone else seen rut activity this late before?

I've never before seen a buck hot after a doe this late in the year, until last night.

Heading home after the Camels game, 10:15-10:30, I see a deer trotting around. Something seemed odd about the way it was acting. As I got closer, I could see it was a nice buck, 140-150 10 point. Nose to the ground. He didn't seem to be bothered by me easing along beside him. I watched him for a few seconds. As I looked past him, there was a doe. I stopped. He seemed to see the doe in my headlights, as he bolted straight for her. She made a big circle out through the river bottoms, him right on her tail, out of sight they went. This scene lasted about a minute.

Anyone else seen rut activity this late before?

2nd phase typically starts around mid December, at least it appears to be around that time where I hunt

From what I've read, late or 2nd ruts typically only occur in areas where the herd is out of balance. Meaning you have more does than bucks.

A couple of years ago I saw a buck chasing a doe on New Years Eve. On the same property this year I saw 3 bucks chasing does on Dec 2nd.

From what I've read, late or 2nd ruts typically only occur in areas where the herd is out of balance. Meaning you have more does than bucks.

A couple of years ago I saw a buck chasing a doe on New Years Eve. On the same property this year I saw 3 bucks chasing does on Dec 2nd.

I can attest to here be morning doe than bucks on the property I hunt, so that could be why I typically see it twice a year. Interesting though, as I've never looked into the 'why' if a 2nd rut phase. Just assumed it was common

I can attest to here be morning doe than bucks on the property I hunt, so that could be why I typically see it twice a year. Interesting though, as I've never looked into the 'why' if a 2nd rut phase. Just assumed it was common

It probably is most place due to most not maintaining a 1:1 buck to doe ratio. Most just don't own enough property to manage it to that detail.

I had these two going at it yesterday in the back yard[ATTACH]59799[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]59800[/ATTACH]

I would say, with that kind of activity and all horns appearing to be in place, that your backyard is the place to hunt sheds in about 2 weeks !

I saw a lot of deer action yesterday morning on my way duck hunting. Had two different bucks run across the road on me in different spots and had multiple deer come out into the field we were hunting. I highly doubt it has anything to do with the late rut but it seemed strange to see so much activity.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright call it what you want but i saw a decent 10 pointer ( 130 range ) chasing a doe by the Ft. Mitchell swim club this morning!

And I saw a lot of carnage along AA HWY on my way to the Daniel Boone National Forest last weekend. There may be something to the late rut concept...

Although I like to chase Mrs C1 when the temps warm also!!! :lol2: