Marion Co.'s Andrew Spalding sings with Asbury

Secondstop

• 1 month later...
Today Marion County Senior SS-P Andrew Spalding signed to play at Asbury next season. Marion County looks like they may be one of the favorites in the 5th Region in 2017.

Marion was 18-20 last year, 11-11 in the region, and may be one of the favorites?

Elizabethtown and Central Hardin are still in the region, last time I checked, and LaRue County returns a wealth of talent (only had like 3 or four seniors).

At best, Marion would be fourth in a preseason ranking, but I'm not sure they have left even Taylor County in the dust.

• 2 weeks later...

Of course, you could be right. However, didn't Central graduate 10-11 players (6 key starters)? Marion lost 9 one-run games last year, including a loss to Central in the Regional in a one-run game that could have gone either way -- with one Senior starter who hit in the 7 hole and played right field, four Sophomores and a Freshman starting. Elizabethtown the same - didn't they graduate almost their entire starting lineup? While I know those two programs have a ton of players that keep coming up, I'll bet Larue (and Marion), not the E-town schools will be there at the end this year.

Central Hardin FRESHMAN Cooper Jones (pitcher/first baseman) just committed to Kentucky.

Trent Wood, the big sophomore catcher, has D-I offers.

Junior pitchers Brendan Grider, Dylan Walters and Blake Wheeler got several big wins last year. Senior infielder Jackson Pawley has a good glove and decent bat.

Central Hardin baseball is like its softball team and volleyball team: They graduate people EVERY YEAR, yet are in the thick of it EVERY year.

Elizabethtown returns Paul Fiepke, tied for team pitching wins last year, and Graham Meek on the mound.

You act like this is the first time Central Hardin and E'town have graduated talent.

Taylor had only TWO seniors (neither of which was listed as a pitcher) last year and won 2-of-3 against Marion (now apparently No. 2 in the region) and is now somehow 3 spots BELOW Marion? How does that make any sense?

I'd be FLAT-OUT floored if Marion County is in the top three of the actual coaches' (or News-Enterprise preview, which emails every region head coach) preseason poll.

Marion County should be improved this year. Heck, they've had plenty of time living in the shadows of the Hardin schools to finally build something.

But not sure they're ready to sit at the big-boy table just yet.

These were far from the most-talented senior classes Central Hardin and E'town have lost. There's plenty of young guns waiting in the wings in Hardin County (and LaRue for that matter).

They're not giving up their thrones just yet, kids.

Andrew Spalding just made the best decision of his life. I don't know Andrew Spalding, but I do know that what Asbury University offers kids besides baseball is priceless. These will be the best years of his life and he will come out of that school having been the recipient of an amazing investment of many topnotch teachers, coaches, and classmates to make him the best person he can be. The education is superior. The spiritual life is transforming. All that he has to do is embrace the opportunities that will be afforded him there.

I do know the sports teams see their mission as much more than winning games. They will seek to impact the world and the young men on the team will learn that the best way to live is to give of yourself to others.