4A 2017

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look for Joe Jackson (2,000 plus rushing yards this season as a Soph.) and Riley Preece (Freshman QB) to again have big years for Johnson Central. JC returns almost all of their defensive and offensive line and all of their RB's (minus FB).

Don't know about the west as I don't get to watch them much (only tape through the season), but I expect JC to once again come from the East.

In the West the D1 favorite would be Hopkinsville. D2 would probably be Franklin Simpson with Allen County and Warren East gaining.

Region 2 likely is John Hardin, Shelby Co, or Collins.

My pick is another FS v JH semi final. That is a pick em.

Ashland should be much improved next year , but their fate will be sealed by having JC in their District.

Wayne County will have a veteran team... I expect Mercer County's improvement to continue as their program builds under Coach Buchanan and they have a really nice core back.

Rockcastle will be solid but I expect them to take a small step back.

Knox Central should be a little bit better if the Carton kid returns healthy. They have some transition though with the QB graduating and a coaching change.

Ashland should be much improved next year , but their fate will be sealed by having JC in their District.

Wayne County will have a veteran team... I expect Mercer County's improvement to continue as their program builds under Coach Buchanan and they have a really nice core back.

Rockcastle will be solid but I expect them to take a small step back.

Knox Central should be a little bit better if the Carton kid returns healthy. They have some transition though with the QB graduating and a coaching change.

If not for believing JC is about to make a 3-4 year title run, I would almost guarantee that Ashland would make a title game appearance during that time frame. I expect some exciting games between those two teams over the next few years though.

F-S has a very good core returning. They will be a top 5 team imo. One game does not reflect the team F-S had this season. I think Saul Brady will be one of the best in class 4A. F-S had 4 sophomores start or play major minutes in the championship game. Good luck to the Wildcats in your off-season.

I can tell you John Hardin will be down as well. They will have some solid pieces, but not enough to contend. The JH backfield will be good. They should take a step back on defense. My projection is 2nd round for JH next year. Maybe region finals if others are down too. I think Collins will be the favorite of this particular region. JC state championship to lose.

FS needs to find 5 or 6 300-pounders before we would have much hope of beating JC. I do think FS could return to the finals though with the returning players.

The offensive front is going to be big and young. They need to get big time serious with the iron this winter. Build strength and get those hips flexible.

Wayne county will return a veteran team. They will return 9 starters on offense from the semifinals. They will return 7 starters on defense as well as two sophomores that played meaningful minutes in the playoffs. They fully expect to play JC in the semifinals at home.

Certainly JC will be preseason #1. They will be strong talented and well coached. But they lose 18 seniors. Contrary to prior representations they lose at least three O linemen and a tight end. Plus 4A player of the year Geordan Blanton (well deserved). JC also loses a beast of a fullback. They also lose 3 D linemen and their best linebacker. Also they lose their best corner that had picks in the semi's and finals. Still the players they return are very good hard nosed football players.

So I expect a hard fought battle between Wayne and JC with the winner the favorite to take the championship. That is if all goes as planned. But that's why we play the games and not pick the champ.

Here's to the expectation of a great 2017 season. Wayne's countdown clock is set to the opener against Woodford.

Wayne county will return a veteran team. They will return 9 starters on offense from the semifinals. They will return 7 starters on defense as well as two sophomores that played meaningful minutes in the playoffs. They fully expect to play JC in the semifinals at home.

Certainly JC will be preseason #1. They will be strong talented and well coached. But they lose 18 seniors. Contrary to prior representations they lose at least three O linemen and a tight end. Plus 4A player of the year Geordan Blanton (well deserved). JC also loses a beast of a fullback. They also lose 3 D linemen and their best linebacker. Also they lose their best corner that had picks in the semi's and finals. Still the players they return are very good hard nosed football players.

So I expect a hard fought battle between Wayne and JC with the winner the favorite to take the championship. That is if all goes as planned. But that's why we play the games and not pick the champ.

Here's to the expectation of a great 2017 season. Wayne's countdown clock is set to the opener against Woodford.

Sounds about right. But I think JC lost some other key player positions not mentioned but the point is well taken. Sounds like WC will give them a battle. Good luck!

Yeah but 51-0.

WC needs to hit weight room and really hurt from the beat down they took in semis.

2015 score was 21-14.

I knew that one was coming. I tip my hat to the 2016 JC team. Their playoff performance was dominate. They were the better team but they are not 51 points better. The wheels came off for Wayne. Not unlike JC vs. South Warren. SW was not that much better than JC. Coach Matney said they were embarrassed and redeemed themselves vs FS. I promise The Cardinals have the same attitude. So the more that game is mentioned the harder they will work. So keep it up.

The purpose of my post was to rebut the implication that JC brings the same team into 2017. That simply is not the case. And to demonstrate that the Cardinals will have arguably the most veteran team in 4A with the experience of two semifinals games as starters. I have no doubt they are busting their tails today to get over that hump.

From the two deep chart we used for the Championship game it looks like JC loses starters or backups at 20 positions. That does not mean 20 players because some were listed at 2 positions.

Franklin-Simpson loses 16. Looming large for the Wildcats is replacing 5 of 6 starters on the offensive line. At least three of those will be playing somewhere next season. The next group up did see a lot of playing time this year and will be ready for the '17 season when August rolls around.

FS is in good shape with skilled positions and on defense.