8th region Re-cap Week #1

Inside the 8th region this week, saw some of our teams step outside the region to test their kids and see the talent in other regions. I always enjoy when they play other regions, as the 8th always seems to get a bad rap when mentioned across the Bluegrass, as of late. Ranking's for week #1 are below.

1. South Oldham- Not much changed here, except I truly think Jo Griffin could make a run at the POY in the region, he is a true complete player. The Dragon's got wins over region rival Shelby County with Jo Griffin posting 31 points in the win, and also defeated a CAL team that was missing some players due to winning a football championship. Size worry's me for South as Shelby hung with them most of the game because of a post presence. The Dragon's play Spencer, Grant and Ryle this week, so will be extra busy trying to keep the #1 spot.

2. Anderson County-The Bearcats hang tight at #2 winning in Double OT against East Jessamine and throttling Model from the 11th region. Winning a challenging first game on the road will pay dividends for the Bearcats later on. They are tough at home! Got games against Oldham County and Valley this week, both who are really guard oriented and will be a hard team to beat.

3. Oldham County- The Colonels got 25 from Jackson Gibson, and defeated North Hardin at home, North was playing without their all region player who is not ruled eligible yet. They lost to a very good Valley team, who could win the 8th region in my opinion and throttled a Magoffin team that some have favored to win their region. The Colonels go on the road to Anderson County this week, so a big game considering Anderson put them out of the region last year. They also open up district play against Trimble and round out Saturday against Grant in the Ronald McDonald Classic.

4. Simon Kenton- The Pioneers come in at #4 with a loss to start the season at Mason Co. The Pioneers led most of the game and was missing some football guys, Cottrell I believe and still hung tough. The blew out Ludlow, for their first win of the year. Simon opens district play this week against Walton Verona and have Ryle also early in the week.

5. Collins- The Titans come in at #5, they have (3) guys averaging double figures in Cochran, Feltner and Turner. Dominque Turner is averaging around 17ppg after the first 2 games. The Titanss got a hard fought win against the boys from Warsaw, (Gallatin Co.) and suffered their first loss to an old nemesis in Coach Jason Couch and the Bullitt East Chargers. The Collins Titans will face crosstown rival Shelby County this week in a big district game, they will also face Franklin County, and John Hardin. Needless to say we will know a lot about the Titans after this week.

6. North Oldham- The Mustangs come in at #6, they only played (1) game this week, and got a convincing win against Frankfort. I am hearing the Jalen Henry has to sit out at least 7-8 games for discipline issues, so this week may start getting interesting as they play Male, and Bardstown.

7. Gallatin Co-The Wildcats are in at #7 and made one of the biggest moves this week. Jon really likes the hustle these kids play with. They got (2) wins against Eminence and Williamstown, while losing in a close one with Collins. They are led in scoring by Wilson's (19) ppg and Rassman's (16ppg) thus far. The Wildcats have Henry County and Walton Verona this week.

8. Spencer County-The young Bears got (2) wins this week over 2 out of region teams in KCD, and Desales. They also lost to an out of region team in Franklin Co. Wheeler is a joy to watch, he takes and makes big shots. Wheeler was named MVP of the Legend Classic, in their win over Desales. They lack a big man and that worry's me for them as they get into district play. They have South Oldham, Bullitt East and Danville this week. Can the young Bearcats steal a couple wins?

9. Grant Co- Moved up a lot of spots in my first weeks poll. Congrats to Coach on his first win! Got 2 wins, against Ryle and Fleming County, while losing to Larue County. They will be tested this week as they play Williamstown, South Oldham and Oldham back to back, WOW. The Braves will be tested this week for sure. Williamstown is huge for seeding later on.

10. Shelby Co- Even thought the Rockets have lost all 3, they have played a rough schedule and are getting used to football boys being back. They lost to Mercer County, South Oldham and Clay County. They had a chance to beat Clay, but missed several shots at the horn. Shelby will play CAL and Collins this week. If they can keep their spirits up I like their chances at some wins this week.

11. Owen County- Got a win over Western Hills, lost to Loyd Memorial and Mercer Co. They are adjusting to losing a lot off that team but Coach Duvall will right the ship as the season goes on. The Rebels have Trimble, Carroll, and Williamstown this week, as they should be tested. Nolan Tackett (20.5ppg) and Cameron McNally (17.5ppg) both are having great years thus far.

12. Henry County- Almost in my top 10, the Wildcats got a win at Western Hills, and lost to North Bullitt. They have Gallatin Co, and Eminence this week, (2) teams that have become the rivals of each other. Hinkle having a good start for the Wildcats, has a chance to be on the all region team by seasons end.

13. Williamstown-The Demons lost both games, Cov Cath not to shabby, and Gallatin Co. They will have to make shots to win games and have struggled in the first 2. They have a big week coming up, Grant, Eminence and Owen, all regional teams.

14. Walton Verona- The Bearcats are 1-2 with losses to Dixie Heights, and Beechwood, and their win against Cov. Holy Cross. They are young and have a chance to move up this week, it doesn't get easier with Gallatin and Simon this week.

15. Eminence-The Warriors are 1-1, got Coach Brown his first win, they lost to Gallatin and hammered Trimble. They have Henry, Williamstown and CAL all this week. Welcome to the crosstown rival with Henry Co, Coach Brown.

16. Carroll Co- The Panthers are 1-1 with a win against Trimble, and a loss to Lloyd Memorial. They have Owen and Southwestern Indiana this week. Owen is a big seed game in the district.

17. Trimble Co- The Raiders went 0-3 this week. They had Carroll Co on the ropes, also lost to Bullitt Central and Eminence. It does not get easier as they got Oldham Co, and Owen Co this week.

Edited by True blue (and gold)

Bearcats??? Three point shooting from the Bears will help. Spencer County has to be one of the youngest teams in the state and are very well coached. Next year Spencer County will be very dangerous. In their last game against Desales they were down 12 starting the fourth quarter--two 8th graders, two sophmores, and Wheeler brought the team back. Future is very bright.