Suppose a Newly Discovered Comet is Headed on a Collision Course with Earth...

Science Friction

Scientists say there is no margin for error. Life on Earth will be extinguished. The event will take place in less than a year. How does life change? How do people on Earth change? Do they quit fighting and hating one another? Do they become more religious? Does widespread chaos rule the day ?

I often ponder this scenario. What do you think happens when word gets out that the Earth is to be destroyed in less than a year? How do you change? How does the world change?

First there is no way they would give us a year to think on this, we'd have at most a couple of weeks.

But looking at a year scenario that you outlined, I think you would see everyone go to their own extremes.

-People that are honestly religious would probably delve further into their faith to look for comfort.

-People that are lawless would become even more so and basic law and order would break down in many areas.

-People that are neither religious or lawless would still be searching for something to give them comfort.

-Preppers would kick it into high gear planning on surviving the impact.

-At some point governments that didn't collapse from chaos would probably go into Hospice mode and try to make their citizens as comfortable as possible.

-The Illuminati would just move to their secret base on Mars as the one they already have on the moon would also be destroyed with the earth in all likelihood.

Well, what could you do? No need to sit around wringing your hands. I don't let things like this worry me or cause me to lose sleep. What will be, will be.

I agree, no need to worry about it. However, I would like to hear speculation on how human behavior would change with less than a year left on planet Earth.

What would be the theme? Better yet, what are some of the tunes you would play for us?

Hand Of Doom - Black Sabbath

The End - The Doors

Run Like Hell - Pink Floyd

Electric Funeral - Black Sabbath

It’s the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) - R.E.M.

(Don’t Fear) The Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult

Two Suns in the Sunset - Pink Floyd

25 Minutes to Go - Johnny Cash

The Final Countdown - Europe

First there is no way they would give us a year to think on this, we'd have at most a couple of weeks.

But looking at a year scenario that you outlined, I think you would see everyone go to their own extremes.

-People that are honestly religious would probably delve further into their faith to look for comfort.

-People that are lawless would become even more so and basic law and order would break down in many areas.

-People that are neither religious or lawless would still be searching for something to give them comfort.

-Preppers would kick it into high gear planning on surviving the impact.

-At some point governments that didn't collapse from chaos would probably go into Hospice mode and try to make their citizens as comfortable as possible.

-The Illuminati would just move to their secret base on Mars as the one they already have on the moon would also be destroyed with the earth in all likelihood.

This...