NKY Power Rankings 10-27-16 - Sponsored by NKY Family & Cosmetic Dentistry

Thanks to Northern Kentucky Family & Cosmetic Dentistry -"Making Northern Kentucky Smile" for sponsoring our 2016 Northern Kentucky Power Rankings! We encourage everyone to patronize all of our sponsors, and you can visit Northern Kentucky Family & Cosmetic Dentistry at 2047 Centennial Boulevard in Independence, KY.

attachment.php?attachmentid=57023&d=1469624563

THE RANKINGS:

10) Campbell County (6A) 3-6 – Despite early season victories over 5A Highlands and 2A New Cath, the Camels have been in a virtual slide ever since, with the exception of a win over Western Brown (OH) - currently 3-6. Friday saw Campbell County head back to Claryville with an upset 14-20 loss to 6A district rival Boone County in OT. The loss leaves Campbell in last place in their district going into the final week of the season. The Camels were only able to muster a total 162 yards of offense against the Rebels, and will need to dig deep as they prepare for the playoffs. Their final game of the regular season will be on the road against 6A Henry Clay (2-6-1).

9) Highlands (5A) 2-7 – The Birds finally got their second win of the season on Friday by beating their 5A district competitors at Grant County 50-0 on the road. Once again, Highlands showed their passing strength on the offensive side of things, with QB Bradey Gosney connecting for 239 yards and 6 TDs in the air. Their lone rushing touchdown came at the hands of Grant Murray. The Birds will be fighting an uphill battle in the playoffs, but not before they wrap up their regular season against 6A Boone County, who will be coming into their matchup on Friday fresh off an overtime win against Campbell County that snapped a losing streak that started in September of 2014.

8) Newport Catholic (2A) 5-4 – It took 9 weeks to get there, but finally New Cath has found themselves on the winning side of their season record this year. The Breds managed that by winning out their district in the regular season with their latest victory over the 2A Newport Wildcats with a 56-14 victory. New Cath’s passing game wasn’t their strong point on Friday, with a scant 29 yards in the air, but they made up for it by amassing 372 yards rushing by 13 different ball carriers. Jason Decker led the team with 3 touchdowns, while Kyle Kelly and Howard Jackson added 2 TDs a piece, and Hunter Cain tacked on 1 TD as well. Kole Carmack led the defense with 5 solo tackles. The Breds will finish their regular season this week against their 1A rivals, the Beechwood Tigers.

7) Dixie Heights (5A) 5-4 – Dixie has shown a lot more for themselves this season than some initially expected – myself included. Even this past Friday in the midst of their 12-35 loss to 5A Covington Catholic, the Dixie Colonels showed a lot of resolve by holding the score at 14-12 going into halftime. They just weren’t able to keep pace in the second half – perhaps due to a noticeable lack of ball carrying by offensive workhorse Jose Torres. Still, Dixie managed to 297 offensive yards, only 94 yards short of Cov Cath’s total…despite the 23 point difference in scores. The Colonels will finish off their regular season on Friday against 6A Ryle.

6) Beechwood (1A) 8-1 – Beechwood completed their annual romp over their district competitors on Friday by beating the 1A Dayton Green Devils 50-0. This season the Tigers beat their three district challengers by a combined score of 153-19, as compared to 189-6 (’15), 144-25 (’14), 168-22 (’13) and 164-40 (’12). That’s over 800 points scored against regular season district competition in the last five years, compared to a mere 112 points scored by the other teams. On Friday night, QB Burch threw for 2 TDs to Aiden Justice, and Justice added another TD on the ground, along with rushing TD’s from Castleman, Davis and freshman Josh Derry. Elijah McKinney tacked on a pick-6 on the defensive side of things. Beechwood has their big regular season closer this week against traditional rival, 2A New Cath.

5) Cooper (6A) 6-4 – The Jags wrapped up their regular season schedule on Friday with 7-18 loss to 6A district rival Conner, leaving Cooper to finish last in the district. QB Lonaker had a season-low 118 yards passing, and score the team’s only touchdown on a run. Lonaker’s favorite receiver, Dante Hendrix, was held to a relatively uncharacteristic 71 yards receiving. On the defensive side of things, Hendrix, Roksvag and Wasser led the team with 5 tackles a piece, and Centers, Jackson and Leroy each had 4 tackles. Cooper’s next game will be on November 4th in the first round of the 6A playoffs.

4) Conner (6A) 7-2 – The Cougars sealed their spot as the second place team in 6A District 5 by beating the Cooper Jaguars 18-7 on Friday. It was a defensive battle on Friday, with fewer than 400 offensive yards total by both teams combined. The Cougars passing game was virtually shut down by the Jags, but and all three of their touchdowns were scored on runs by Armand Jackson and QB Walker Buelow. Both Peyton Knippenberg and Peyton VanHorn logged an incredible 16 tackles a piece in the defensive effort. Conner closes out their season on Friday against 4A Mason County.

3) Covington Catholic (5A) 7-2 – The Colonels won their first regular season district championship in a decade this past Friday, beating the 5A Dixie Heights 35-12. The game wasn’t a breeze for Cov Cath, but they ended up winning decidedly in the end. AJ Mayer’s 193 yards passing and a host of Colonel running backs provided for 393 total yards and 4 TDs, while a pick-6 by Kam Butler provided the remaining TD for Cov Cath. Butler also had an impressive 7 tackles, while Alex Shelton added 9 more, and Jack Maile had another 7 tackles of his own. Cov Cath closes their regular season this Friday against 6A Scott County.

2) Simon Kenton (6A) 8-1 – It’s hard to say whether or not Friday was an upset, with NKY #1 Simon Kenton losing to undefeated 6A Ryle, but regardless, when two undefeated teams match up head to head, there’s no changing the fact that one team will come out with a loss. The Pioneers were that unlucky team on Friday in a 25-32 loss to the Raiders. Cameron Racke was held to 45 yards and 1 TD passing, but Matt Shearer added another 115 yards and 1 TD in the air. The SK offense was held to an uncharacteristic 155 total yards by the Raiders. Brian Carter added a solid 10 solo tackles on the defensive side of things. The Pioneers have their final regular season game this Friday against 4A Scott.

1) Ryle (6A) 9-0 – Ryle was the better team on Friday night in Union, and that’s why they have now distinguished themselves as the only remaining undefeated team in NKY following their victory over 6A Simon Kenton by winning 32-25 on Friday. Tanner Morgan and Jake Chisholm went to work on the Simon Kenton defense, with Morgan's 261 yards and 3 TDs passing, and Chisholm’s 174 yards and 1 TD on the ground. Jackson High, Zach Rytlewski, and Justin Selby each added to the team’s performance on defense with 9, 6, and 6 tackles, respectively. The Raiders host 5A Dixie Heights for their regular season closer on Friday.

Trending Up:

6A Conner (7-2) – The Cougars made a strong move towards silencing any remaining doubters by beating 6A district competitor Cooper on Friday, securing the #2 spot in their district.

2A Holy Cross (6-3) – With a 42-0 win over 2A district rival Lloyd Memorial, the Indians won the #2 spot in their district as well as racking up their FIFTH shutout win of the season. It’s hard telling without seeing the teams head-to-head, but there’s decent chance that Holy Cross would have a shot at the #10 spot in NKY were they to play 6A Campbell County at this point in the season.

6A Ryle (9-0) – The Raiders are 1 win away from a perfect regular season, but perhaps more importantly, they were able to prove their dominance over 6A Simon Kenton on Friday and win the #1 spot in the NKY rankings.

Trending Down:

6A Campbell County (3-6) – The Camels were riding high as the apparent kings of Campbell County after beating both 2A New Cath and 5A Highlands earlier in the season, but they have followed that up by losing 5 out of the 6 subsequent games, including an upset loss on Friday to the 6A Boone County Rebels.

6A Cooper (6-4) – They may have a winning record, but the Jags have struggled to win when it really counts, losing to both of the teams in their district this season, as well as 6A Simon Kenton. Cooper will need to dig deep for any shot at a playoff run.

4A Holmes (2-7) – The Bulldogs have had a season-long struggle this year, and it showed on Friday as Holmes lost their 4th straight game to a district competitor, leaving them in last place amongst the district 6 teams, and putting them out of the 4A playoff picture. Holmes will finish their season on Thursday against 2A Newport.

Player Of The Week:

Peyton VanHorn (Conner)

Peyton had 17 solo tackles last week, and added 16 more this week in Conner’s win over Cooper to put him at a total 103 tackles thus far this season – an average of 11.4 tackles per game.

Game Of The Week:

Beechwood (1A) vs. Newport Catholic (2A)

Probably the biggest game around Northern Kentucky in week 10. These two teams used to face each other for a shot at the 1A state championship, but since 2007 this game is all about pride. The Tigers have won the last two of this series, but we’ll see how the two teams match up this year when they play in Newport on Friday.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay Seriously???? Holy Cross smokes Lloyd 42-0 and Campbell loses to lowly Boone and Holy Cross can't break the Top 10??? And yes. Holy Cross definitely beats Campbell and Boone. Matter of fact, I think the beat Dixie and have a 50/50 shot of beating Highlands this year with Barnes.They shouldn't be trending up. They should be there. Totally missed on that one.

Okay Seriously???? Holy Cross smokes Lloyd 42-0 and Campbell loses to lowly Boone and Holy Cross can't break the Top 10??? And yes. Holy Cross definitely beats Campbell and Boone. Matter of fact, I think the beat Dixie and have a 50/50 shot of beating Highlands this year with Barnes.They shouldn't be trending up. They should be there. Totally missed on that one.

Dixie beat Highlands by 20. If you think HC beats Dixie, why only a 50/50 chance they beat Highlands?

How can you say I "totally" missed it when Campbell County beat New Cath, and the New Cath shut out Holy Cross 21-0? It's pretty tough to deny that that is a sticking point.

And look at Dixie, who you think they can beat. Dixie was within 2 of Cov Cath at halftime, and ended up losing by 23. Beechwood, on the other hand, lost to Cov Cath by 34 points...yet still beat Holy Cross 40-33.

Barnes is a great tool...a GREAT tool...and Holy Cross is definitely up this year, but the fact is they are still losing to 1A and 2A schools. Campbell County has a 60 man roster, Dixie has a 67 man roster, and Highlands has an 85 man roster. Holy Cross has a 40 man roster. I really like Holy Cross - for sure - but I just don't see how they can keep up with teams that have the size, depth and strength of schedule (by default or not) that Campbell, Dixie and Highlands do.

How can you say I "totally" missed it when Campbell County beat New Cath, and the New Cath shut out Holy Cross 21-0? It's pretty tough to deny that that is a sticking point.

And look at Dixie, who you think they can beat. Dixie was within 2 of Cov Cath at halftime, and ended up losing by 23. Beechwood, on the other hand, lost to Cov Cath by 34 points...yet still beat Holy Cross 40-33.

Barnes is a great tool...a GREAT tool...and Holy Cross is definitely up this year, but the fact is they are still losing to 1A and 2A schools. Campbell County has a 60 man roster, Dixie has a 67 man roster, and Highlands has an 85 man roster. Holy Cross has a 40 man roster. I really like Holy Cross - for sure - but I just don't see how they can keep up with teams that have the size, depth and strength of schedule (by default or not) that Campbell, Dixie and Highlands do.

That is my opinion because of where we stand at this point in the year.

Campbell County beat New Cath - That was in Week 2 - COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SEASON. Campbell has gotten progressively worse as the season has gone on to the point that they lost to Boone who got their first win in, what, 3 years. In your scenario then Boone should be ranked because they beat Campbell. I don't think so. LOL!!! They play now and NewCath wins by 30.

New Cath shut out Holy Cross 21-0 - Granted NewCath won but not as convincingly as some thought. NewCath beat HC 31-14 in 2011 when HC returned the favor in the playoffs and won state. While irrelevant for the most part in this conversation, it shows that it can be done and NewCath is not completely invincible to Koz and the Indians.

Dixie was within 2 of Cov Cath at halftime, and ended up losing by 23 - This speaks for itself. Shut down the run for Dixie, which HC can definitely do with Barnes and Abernathy at LB and you win the game. CovCath made adjustments and it obviously worked. Plus I never said HC could beat Covcath. Especially right now. CC is that good.

Beechwood, on the other hand, lost to Cov Cath by 34 points - CovCath only enters this conversation because they played both Beechwood and Dixie but, in my eyes, is irrelevant because this game is a rivalry game and carries a little different weight.

yet still beat Holy Cross 40-33 - Holy Cross lost this game in Week 4 AND should have won but had 3 TD's called back due to penalties. Play it in Week 10 or 11 and I think it is a similar outcome without the same Indian mistakes just the other way around with the Tribe taking the win by a TD or so.

I stand by my initial statement and analysis and I think you missed big on this poll this week.

HC's top 24 players maybe more talented than the schools mentioned.

That is my opinion because of where we stand at this point in the year.

Campbell County beat New Cath - That was in Week 2 - COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SEASON. Campbell has gotten progressively worse as the season has gone on to the point that they lost to Boone who got their first win in, what, 3 years. In your scenario then Boone should be ranked because they beat Campbell. I don't think so. LOL!!! They play now and NewCath wins by 30.

New Cath shut out Holy Cross 21-0 - Granted NewCath won but not as convincingly as some thought. NewCath beat HC 31-14 in 2011 when HC returned the favor in the playoffs and won state. While irrelevant for the most part in this conversation, it shows that it can be done and NewCath is not completely invincible to Koz and the Indians.

Dixie was within 2 of Cov Cath at halftime, and ended up losing by 23 - This speaks for itself. Shut down the run for Dixie, which HC can definitely do with Barnes and Abernathy at LB and you win the game. CovCath made adjustments and it obviously worked. Plus I never said HC could beat Covcath. Especially right now. CC is that good.

Beechwood, on the other hand, lost to Cov Cath by 34 points - CovCath only enters this conversation because they played both Beechwood and Dixie but, in my eyes, is irrelevant because this game is a rivalry game and carries a little different weight.

yet still beat Holy Cross 40-33 - Holy Cross lost this game in Week 4 AND should have won but had 3 TD's called back due to penalties. Play it in Week 10 or 11 and I think it is a similar outcome without the same Indian mistakes just the other way around with the Tribe taking the win by a TD or so.

I stand by my initial statement and analysis and I think you missed big on this poll this week.

Homer.jpg

I wouldn't completely disagree with that assessment. The problem for 1A and 2A schools that have players going both ways is that when a 5A or 6A program turns things up against them with no huddle and plenty of depth to sub and give people a break, things can go poorly for those smaller schools. That's where the size of your roster can make a difference.

I wouldn't say that. You get outside of 8 or 9 and your reaching but the top 8 or 9 are better and than Campbell, Boone, Dixie without a doubt. Advantage or disadvantage is that HC plays ironman football so those 8 or 9 are on the field all the time. They need help at QB. The kid is serviceable but not a standout.

I wouldn't completely disagree with that assessment. The problem for 1A and 2A schools that have players going both ways is that when a 5A or 6A program turns things up against them with no huddle and plenty of depth to sub and give people a break, things can go poorly for those smaller schools. That's where the size of your roster can make a difference.

I would agree with that assessment except for 1 caveat. HC has 20+ seniors so the subs are experienced players also.