4A #10 Ashland vs. 6A Tates Creek

DragonFire

Who wins?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

Ashland saw their six game winning streak snapped by an inspired Johnson Central team that seems hellbent on finishing the job this season. Ashland started the game with a 6-0 lead, but gave up 43 unanswered in the 43-6 loss. They'll look to get back to their winning ways when they close their regular season at home against 6A Tates Creek, which enters at 5-4, but fresh off a pasting by Lafayette, dropping two of three. These two squared off a season ago, where the Commodores sent Ashland into the playoffs with two straight losses, taking a home 41-22 decision from the Tomcats, who ultimately ended the year with a 1-3 thud after starting 8-0. Can Ashland avoid that type of ending this year?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see Ashland winning this one. They will be doing good to keep it close, IMO. I like the idea of playing some of the bigger schools in the state and am a firm believer that stiff competition helps you prepare for the playoffs. But one thing I have not been able to wrap my mind around since this series was scheduled, is why would you schedule it at the end of the season? Last season Ashland rested some kids to take away the possibility of injury in this one last season, so again, why play a much larger school just prior to the playoffs?

I completely agree @Backspin. This game sounds great when you first hear that it was scheduled, but when you see when it is scheduled, it makes you wonder why? I'm all for scheduling good teams and larger schools, but there comes a time and a place to do so. Just prior to the playoffs isn't the time or place to take on a school that is double your size, IMO. If the game were scheduled earlier in the season, I would have no issue with it.

How so?

The program backed out of a series with Belfry, the one team in the area who could help them prepare for Johnson Central. And I just found it funny that some were complaining about playing Tates Creek the last week. They are not exactly a physical team that will beat up on you.

Why not play a good team prior to playoffs? First two games will prolly be wins in playoffs. Opposite district is weak.

I wouldn't mind playing a team like Tates Creek midway through the season to help prepare for Johnson Central. But Johnson Central being in the final week or two of the season every year is plenty to help Ashland prepare for the playoffs.

Fair enough, I don't know the circumstances that cancelled the Belfry game. I guess I was on the wrong track as well. I thought the discussion was about not taking chances with some players in a meaningless game a week before the playoff starts. Was there a gap between the Belfry contract ending and the Tate's Creek contract beginning? I don't think Tate's Creek took Belfry's place. I think Sheldon Clark was in between. Based on where Ashland was in regards to talent level, it was a good move. The second year of the Sheldon Clark deal Ashland was only down 8 at Highlands in the playoffs with the ball and about 6 minutes left in that game. I don't think not playing Belfry nor playing Sheldon Clark had any bearing on that Ashland has only beaten JC once in the last 8 years or so there is little evidence to support the Belfry game helped prepare them. I do think Tates Creek is a bad deal all the way around. I thought this the day the schedule was released last year. It is wrong because of the week played and it is wrong because there will be a small crowd from Lexington. Having your best offensive player hurt while playing defense and your best defensive player hurt while playing offense in this game last year affected the potential rematch with JC. If Ashland wants to regain the footing it has lost with JC it has nothing to do with Belfry. The root cause lies within. Just my thoughts anyway. Glad I crack you up.

The program backed out of a series with Belfry, the one team in the area who could help them prepare for Johnson Central. And I just found it funny that some were complaining about playing Tates Creek the last week. They are not exactly a physical team that will beat up on you.[/]

Tell the bolded to last years Tomcats!

As for the Belfry series, I wish that was still on the table, I really enjoyed that series and it did help Ashland prepare for Johnson Central. That said, the Ashland/Belfry games were always early in the season, unlike the Tates Creek game. Again, I'm all for playing Tates Creek, just not in the final week before the playoffs, right after playing Johnson Central.

Fair enough, I don't know the circumstances that cancelled the Belfry game. I guess I was on the wrong track as well. I thought the discussion was about not taking chances with some players in a meaningless game a week before the playoff starts. Was there a gap between the Belfry contract ending and the Tate's Creek contract beginning? I don't think Tate's Creek took Belfry's place. I think Sheldon Clark was in between. Based on where Ashland was in regards to talent level, it was a good move. The second year of the Sheldon Clark deal Ashland was only down 8 at Highlands in the playoffs with the ball and about 6 minutes left in that game. I don't think not playing Belfry nor playing Sheldon Clark had any bearing on that Ashland has only beaten JC once in the last 8 years or so there is little evidence to support the Belfry game helped prepare them. I do think Tates Creek is a bad deal all the way around. I thought this the day the schedule was released last year. It is wrong because of the week played and it is wrong because there will be a small crowd from Lexington. Having your best offensive player hurt while playing defense and your best defensive player hurt while playing offense in this game last year affected the potential rematch with JC. If Ashland wants to regain the footing it has lost with JC it has nothing to do with Belfry. The root cause lies within. Just my thoughts anyway. Glad I crack you up.

Ashland has beaten JC only once in the last 11 years:

2006: Johnson Central 35-7

2006: Johnson Central 28-21 (Playoffs; 2nd Round)

2007: Johnson Central 67-33

2008: Johnson Central 41-6

2009: Johnson Central 29-28

2010: Johnson Central 42-26

2011: Ashland Blazer 22-6

2012: Johnson Central 22-21 (Overtime)

2013: Johnson Central 42-7

2014: Johnson Central 42-7

2015: Johnson Central 8-7

2016: Johnson Central 43-6

Edited by 15th Region

I think I touched a nerve.

:walk: