BluegrassPreps - Western Kentucky Power Ranking - 10/23/16

Purple88

BluegrassPreps 2016 Western Kentucky Power Rankings – Week 9 Edition

Concerning the top story line for this week: Of our Top 15 teams in the West, only the Greenwood Gators tasted the bitter sting of a loss in Week 9. 3 teams were on the BYE week. 9 teams won by a running clock! That leaves 2 games out of the top 15 that were “competitive”! The West is REALLY playing well! I put our Top 15 up against any of the other regions in the state Any Day of the Week!!!!

Popcorn N Coke Top 10 Version – Week 9:

1. Bowling Green 5A (9-0): Win 50-0 vs 5A Greenwood

2. Mayfield 2A (9-0): Win 57-0 vs 2A Webster County

3. Franklin Simpson 4A (9-0): Win 41-18 at 4A Warren East

4. South Warren 4A (7-2): Win 51-6 vs 4A Warren Central

5. Greenwood 5A (7-2): Loss 50-0 at 5A Bowling Green

6. McCracken County 6A (7-2): Win 55-20 vs 6A Muhlenberg County

7. Owensboro Catholic (8-1): BYE

8. Owensboro (7-2): Win 35-6 vs 5A Graves County

9. Christian County 5A (7-2): BYE

10. Hopkinsville 4A (8-1): Win 62-6 at 4A Hopkins County Central

Week 9 Western Kentucky Game of the Week RECAP: 7-2 5A Greenwood 0 at 9-0 5A Bowling Green 50. As our good friend @MentschTrachtGottLacht said, the Purples put up a “50 Burger” on the Gators :eek:!!! And as our good friend @DragonFire reported, Jackson Adams, the Gators excellent QB, gained minus 9 yards on his first 7 carries on the night. It didn’t get a lot better for the Gators after that either. I reported last week that I thought BG was in a Haze last week at Barren County. But Coach Wallace and staff effectively got the teams attention. Additional timely newspaper articles and typical Rival player banter back and forth spurred the Purples to be Ready for Bear in this one!!! BG’s Defense and Offense were superb all night! BG outgained Greenwood 444 yards to 73 yards and 16 first downs to 3. As Coach Wallace tweeted BG’s “effort was elite”!!!

Week 10 Western Kentucky Game of the Week: There are several games that could be in this spot and deserve recognition in their own right. However, to me, one game stands out MOST: 9-0 4A Franklin Simpson at 9-0 1A Russellville. These teams have traversed the hurdles, both up and down, of a long grinding season to arrive at Week 10 undefeated and looking to maintain momentum going into the post season. Both squads are set up to engage in long playoff campaigns. And both could win a State Championship! Franklin Simpson has maintained a solid ground game, but really UPPED The ANTE by implementing a very respectable passing game that has gotten virtually every opponents defense to commit less defenders to the box and that has allowed them to be VERY difficult to stop. Russellville is a ground and pound team by all accounts. Passing is not their forte. However, don’t underestimate this team as they have terrific athletes. The issue in this game for me is will the 2-way Russellville players be over-matched in the 4th quarter of this game? If the answer is no, then they have a good shot to win especially if they get out of the gate quickly. When they try to run against Franklin’s D, the Panther’s District Cupcake Buffet will be OVER!!!

Honorable Mention: Bowling Green at McCracken County, Caldwell County at Mayfield, North Hardin at Owensboro Catholic, Christian County vs John Hardin, Glasgow at Elizabethtown

Meat & Potato’s Version Week 9 Top 10:

10) Hopkinsville (4A) – PR: 9; LW: 10 - 2016 Record 8-1; [District Record 4-0] Week 9 Results: Win 62-6 vs 4A Hopkins County Central (4-5) Tigers intercepted the Storm 3 times in the first quarter where they built a running clock lead. Impressive! Shorty Cager is playing lights out right now with 5 touches producing 3 TDs! RB Jatorion Dillard is also becoming a running force for Hoptown. Hopkinsville wiped the floor with their district 198-6 :eek:! WOW! Week 10: at 5A Marshall County (5-4). I have spoken positively about this Marshall County squad this season and I stand by that. However, it is clear they are in the fledgling stages of building a nice program in Benton. Plus, you got a HUGE win last Friday at Owensboro Apollo! The Marshalls earned a date vs BG in Round 1 of the playoffs. Most will scoff at that, but I think it is HUGE for Marshall to get a taste of what playoff football is about (albeit on the losing side, but you have to crawl before you can run!). Now back to the Hoptown Network: My only criticism of this Hopkinsville squad has been their schedule, although I do like them opening with Graves County and love the Grudge Match with Christian County each year, but OVERALL their District is down, especially compared to the district they are matched with in Region 1. That being said, although your record is a nice and shiny at 8 and 1, when South Warren comes calling in Week 2, it will be a VERY difficult contest and you haven’t played one since Christian County on September 16th. Still a very good, UNDERVALUED team, but also largely unknown as far as how good this Tiger squad is.

9) Christian County (5A) – PR: 5; LW: 9 - 2016 Record 7-2; [District Record 3-1] Week 9 Results: BYE. Christian County has played a solid schedule this season and their losses are to Bowling Green and Owensboro, both strong squads. Their offense has likely not performed as smoothly as they would have liked, but weather and opponent defenses are likely the cause for that. However, the Colonel defense is really coming on and playing as well as they have all season. Just in time for the playoffs!!! Week 10: vs. 4A John Hardin (6-3). Christian drove to Etown for a season ending battle with the Bulldogs last season and lost 38 to 26; but think this is a great opponent for both teams to prepare each for a good post-season run! Keyron Catlett is a senior and a VERY special player. I look for the Colonels to pull out all the stops to extend this season for him and their team as long as they can! Good Luck!!!

8) Owensboro (5A) – PR: 7; LW: 8 - 2016 Record 6-2; [District Record 3-0] Week 9 Results: Win: 35-6 vs 5A Graves County (5-4). My only info is from the Graves County stats page. Owensboro rushed for 206 yards and passed for 52; while Graves County rushed for 121 and passed for 103. That sounds pretty close to me. Plus the score was 7-0 Red Devils at the half. Congrats on winning the District Red Devils :thumb:! Week 10: vs 6A Henderson County (3-6). Hendo travels east on the Audubon Parkway for a date with the Red Devils. First year Colonel Coach Boston has had a tough inaugural campaign, but his opponents have been pretty tough. Last week’s highly contested battle with Daviess County ended in a 42 to 40 Colonel victory and secured the #2 district seed for Henderson. Honestly, I think that’s as high as they could go this season. Colonel Fans tell me if you expected more from this team!!! Hey you get the gate for your first round match with Dupont Manual, who will be too much for you to handle I’m afraid (I was at the Male v Manual game and the Crimsons looked darn good!). Against the Red Devils, it’s not good Colonel Fans, as I expect Owensboro to control the line of scrimmage and run effectively to control this game. The Owensboro D has improved since they played the Aces and Purples so you’ll have to deal with that as well. Best of Luck!!!

7) Owensboro Catholic (2A) – PR: Top 15; LW: 7 - 2016 Record 8-1; [District Record 4-0] Week 9 Results: BYE. The Aces have been a machine since their opening game against Evansville Mater Dei (who is now 6 and 4). Through 9 games, RB Vonn Williams has rushed 187 times for 1,414 yards and 14 TDs. QB Will Warren has completed 120 of 186 passes for 1,578 yards and 22 TDs vs 6 INTs. The WR Trio of Tre Green, Weston Jacob, and Nick Mills each have over 25 catches for approximately 1,200 yards and 18 TDs. Christopher McKay and Josh Sloan each have over 70 tackles on the season for the ACES who keep filling the stat sheets up! Week 10: vs 6A North Hardin (6-3). Last season the Aces had to pay the Trojans to play them and got their money’s worth in a 47-27 win. This is North’s second year stipend! North Hardin has had a fine season with losses to strong 4A South Warren, Desales and Central Hardin, while defeating Boyle County, John Hardin, and Caldwell County. This sets up to be an interesting matchup. 2A has had the most eye-popping wins against higher classification opponents this season and I think this ends up being another one. I likely would not have picked that at the beginning of the season, but Coach Edge has earned my respect with molding this group of young men that didn’t play all that much last year (due to the talented SR-laden roster he had last season) into a playoff contender. And if I am correct, the Region 1 title runs through West Parrish Avenue (Owensboro) as long as the Aces keep standing. This is a team that can make a Deep Run!

6). McCracken County (6A) – PR: 4; LW: 6 - 2016 Record 7-2; [District Record 4-0] Week 9 Results: Win: 55 to 20 vs 6A Muhlenberg County (6-3). The All-Mustang Bowl goes to McCracken County. McCracken was led by QB Cash Jones who you might see later on! Also RB TaeShawn Allen had a big game running for a TD and catching passes for 2 more. The running clock started in the 2nd Quarter. The McCracken D limited very talented QB/RB Hunter Combs from a big game and that was all she wrote! Week 10: vs 5A Bowling Green (9-0) The Purples will make the trip over to Paducah for a good matchup with the Mustangs. Last year, McCracken turned the ball over early and that really cost them, as to beat BG this year you need to stay ahead of the chains and stay up on the scoreboard from the beginning of the game. Mustangs have some athletes that can give BG problems as BG really hasn’t faced a good passing team since Christian County WAY back on August 26th. Cash Jones will need his best effort in this game with his playmakers (McCracken County has some excellent WRs) making plays when they get the chances. Oh and throw some easy passes right out of the gate! Thought you forced some VERY difficult routes/throws in on that 1st possession. Must get Cash in rhythm early! I wouldn’t throw out the possibility of a trick play here or there, as to just line up and beat the Purple D straight up is a tough task as they have given up 7 points in the last 6 games combined. You need to REVE IT UP Mustangs as this game won’t define your season, but the Home Playoff matchup with a fine PRP squad likely will!

5) Greenwood (5A) – PR: 10; LW: 4 - 2016 Record 7-2; [District Record 2-1] Week 9 Results: Loss: 50-0 at 5A Bowling Green (9-0). When you average over 200 yards on the ground and only get 63 (BG #) or 80 (GW #) and running the ball is your game, then you know it’s going to be a long night. Star QB Jackson Adams slipped on the first play from scrimmage and the Purples defense seemed to smother him and the rest of the Greenwood offense for the rest of the night. RB/Returner Malcolm Johnson had a few nice returns and edge runs to get 3 first downs total on the night. But never fear Gator fans, you won’t see a D that good again unless you survive to come back to the El with the Regional Championship on the line in Week 3 of the Playoffs! Lot of football to go! Week 10: vs 4A Warren Central (0-9). This will be a no-contest game, but I am glad these schools play. As Warren Central has been a historically strong program and I’m hopeful they can return (with new, refreshing, well guided administrative support – Maybe we could recommend they drink a FRESCA before they go into their meetings to make positive changes for the Dragons!!!) Greenwood will need to keep an eye towards not getting their better players injured as a tough, physical Graves County squad will play you tough in the first round. But it’s a home game, so I really like the Gator’s chances in that one!!!

4). South Warren (4A) – PR: 3; LW: 5 - 2016 Record 7-2; [District Record 3-1] Week 9 Results: Win: 51-6 vs 4A Warren Central (0-9). QB Cody Eblen, WR CJ Hayes and RB Kayron Namvong all had big nights for the Spartans according to our good friend @jcarter! However, I don’t have any stats for them at this time. Plus I didn’t hear Ryder Litten’s name 1 time. Not sure if he was hurt or not. What is his outlook Spartan Fans? However, he is still the key to the Gators long term playoff run this season IMO. Week 10: at Pope John Paul II, TN (5-4). Spartans prepare to roll out of state to finish off the regular season. The Pope has played pretty darn well this year only losing to Tennessee Bluebloods – Brentwood Academy, Ensworth, McCallie and Montgomery Bell. South should be too much for the Pontiff to handle as well. But watch that spiked holy water on the sidelines as anything is possible vs TN teams! South seems to be skimming right below the radar at the moment and come Week 2 when they roll into Hoptown it will be 1 of the best 4A games in the State that week! Don’t count this team out, especially if Ryder Litten is healthy!

3) Franklin Simpson (4A) – PR: 8; LW – 3 - 2016 Record 9-0; [District Record 4-0] Week 9 Results: Win: 41-18 at 4A Warren East (3-7). Warren East may be the best 3 and 7 team in the entire state. QB Chauncey Greer is a very undervalued athlete. I can’t help but wonder where this team might be with an engaged, focused Willie Reynolds carrying the pigskin for the Raiders! Such is life in high school football when the green grass of August turns Bermuda Brown in October/November! This Wildcat team is playing awfully well right now, especially the defense. As for the offense, our good friend @macdon reported the Wildcats dominated time of possession and racked up 419 yards of total offense on the night! Well done! Western Kentucky Game of the Week - Week 10: at 1A Russellville (9-0). The Grand Old Rivalry is here! Knowledgeable Wildcats fans: how many times, if ever, have these two met as undefeated teams? BIG game here! I think Russellville needs the game more than Franklin, but think Franklin is deeper than the Panthers and their defensive pressure will be more than the Panthers have seen all year. BUT it will be good for both teams to tune up for deep playoff runs! Get the family roadster fired up Wildcat fans and pack Rhea Stadium! Your team has earned that this season. Rise up!!!

2) Mayfield (2A) – PR: 2; LW: 2 - 2016 Record 9-0; [District Record 3-0] - Week 9 Results: Win: 57-0 vs 2A Webster County (2-7). Cardinals earn the running clock with 11 minutes to go in the 2nd Quarter! Cardinals put a 50 Burger (50-0) :eek: on the Trojans in the first half!!! Our good friend @Toothpick reported Mayfield at 1 stretch of the first half had 6 TDs on 10 offensive plays and that the starting offense only played 12 plays- WOW! Our good friend @twenty4seven, reported Webster County’s total yardage for the first half was a minus 4 yards – Yowzzzzaa!!!!! Basically a scrimmage for Big Red heading into a tough game next week! Week 10: vs 3A Caldwell County (6-3). GREAT GAME here in Mayfield next week Cardinal fans. Come out to War Memorial Stadium and support your team! Caldwell County has kinda been forgotten across the state after their very difficult start. I’m not insinuating your coaching staff won’t have the Cardinals ready, just that it would be wise for them not to overlook the Tigers, who still have excellent skill players and an improving defense. Wish both teams luck and no injuries!!! Lot of football still to go for both!

1) Bowling Green (5A) – PR: 1; LW: 1 - 2016 Record 9-0; [District Record 3-0] Week 9 Results: Win: 50-0 vs 5A Greenwood County (7-2). Were the Purples ready or were the Purples ready!!! WOW! I felt a great effort coming after a rusty Post Fall Break effort over in Trojan land the week before. Plus, I think there was quite a bit of chatter between these 2 leading up to this game. BG with the win earns their 25th District Championship all-time and their 25th straight win over Greenwood. Clark Payne and Deangelo Wilson likely played their best games on Friday. You might see them later. Luke Brown made an unbelievable circus catch for a deep TD and I haven’t even mentioned Jamale Carothers who had 2 TDs. Plus the BG Defense is currently playing at the highest level they have played on all season. 7 points yielded in 6 games – Rollin & Confident! Week 10: at 6A McCracken County (7-2) The Mustangs need this game more than the Purples. McCracken County needs to show up and make this thing a game for at least a half and give sustained effort for 4 Quarters. If they can do that, I like their chances to compete vs PRP. If they get blown around like a tumbleweed in the Old West, it will be very difficult to regroup and sustain momentum going into Week 1 of the playoffs IMO. Cash Jones will need his offensive line to come up HUGE for McCracken to keep the BG pass rush off and move the chains for the Mustangs. Not sure what the Mustang D strategy will be. I look for BG to try to establish the run early and if they do Goodnight Irene, because it will be classic play action all night. So, if I’m Coach Jackson, I load the box and try to limit the BG run game and hope for the best. Should be a good game for a while though and with turnovers anything can happen!!!

Week 9 Players of the Week: (At this time of the season, I’m going with the guys who are getting it done and the guys whose stats I have. Plain and simple. Also, I do not get many stats at all by the time this edition goes out, so please add to the list and thank you for it!)

1) Clark Payne – QB – Bowling Green – 13 of 15 for 335 yards and 4 TDs 0 INTs in 1 half of football vs Greenwood!

Deangelo Wilson – WR – Bowling Green – 7 catches for 203 yards & 2 TDs. With these yards, Deangelo Wilson became only the 2nd WR in Purples History (The Great Nacarius Fant - 4,400 yards) with over 2,000 yards receiving! Congratulations!!!

2) Cash Jones – QB – McCracken County – According to our good friend @McPressbox, Cash was 14-19 for 319 yards and 6 TDs with 1 INT. Plus 1 rushing TD vs Muhlenberg County!

3) Johnny Drumgole – RB/WR/DB – Russellville – 3 rushes for 142 yards & 2 TDs; 1 reception for 39 yards and a TD vs Crittenden County!

4) Desi Austin – QB – Glasgow – 248 yards passing and 4 TDs vs Metcalfe County.

Glasgow WRs – Murphy & Hughes with 15 total catches; 200 yards & 3 TDs!

Week 9 “Big Droppers”

Greenwood (5A) – Down – Gators are not here because they lost. Gators are here because they did not put up 100 yards total offense and did not score any points on the night! I expected BG to win this game - yes, at around 42-14 or so. But to only earn about 80 rushing yards and to get the running clock wound up with 4 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter was simply surprising to me. Chin up Gators! Still lot’s to play for, as I like your chances up until a 50-50 game at Rash Stadium Week 2 of the playoffs. Win that game and you take a step forward!!!

Owensboro Apollo (5A) – Down – I had to dig for this one Sports Fans. Our teams are doing so well that no one on the Top 15 Board dropped a game to earn this category this week (a good thing right!). Marshall County (5-4) drove to Owensboro Apollo (2-7) and won 42-35 to earn the #4 Seed in 5A District 1, while Apollo will not be participating in post season play this year. Yes, Marshall will lose Round 1, but to have the resolve to go on the road, hold your team together and fight for a hard fought victory is impressive! For Apollo it is VERY discouraging with no real bright side in sight. Better luck next year Eagles!

Week 9 “Big Risers”

Trigg County (3A) – Up – THIS is what I love about High School Football! A team that hadn’t won a game since beating lowly 2A Todd County Central (0-9) WAY Back on September 9, 2016 comes together on Senior Night in Cadiz and pulls together and fights a gritty Union County team with a very decent 5 and 4 record and gets the Win and I believe earns a playoff birth because of it (I’m not 100% sure of the point system, but if it only includes district teams – Trigg is in!)! I don’t have stats for this one, but bet our All-Name Team member SR QB Tyreke “Taco” Wilson had a great game in this one! Congrats Wildcats!!!

Adair County (3A) – Up – After posting 5 straight wins to open the season, the Indians found themselves on an unwanted 2 game losing streak. What’s more? If this past Friday’s game would have continued the trend, Adair would have found themselves on the road for the first round of the playoffs! But Adair took care of Hart County easily at home 43-6 to get some momentum back. Now the Indians head over to Liberty to face their very solid rivals - the Casey County Rebels sitting at 7 and 1 on the year after losing last week to Top Shelf Corbin 35-7. Important game for Momentum going into the playoff not to mention bragging rights for the Indians! Good Luck!

11 Thru 15

11. Russellville (1A) – Preseason Rank (PR): Top 15; Last Week (LW): 11 - 2016 Record 9-0; [District Record 3-0] Week 9 Results: Win: 49-7 vs 1A Crittenden County (4-5). Russellville took care of business against a very average Rockets team by gaining 386 yards on the ground and only 39 passing. Crittenden gained only 44 on the ground and 176 in the air. Cupcake Row is officially OVER!!! On to the Real Games for the Panthers! Western Kentucky Game of the Week - Week 10: vs 4A Franklin Simpson (9-0). Put on your goblin suit Panther Fans and come out and support your team. They will need you this game! But it’s a terrific test to really see where the Panthers are this year. Honestly, other than a pretty good Butler County team we just don’t know a whole lot about what to expect when this year’s Panther group gets tested. That will change this coming Friday night as Franklin has one of their best teams in over 20 years!!! Get Fired Up & Rise Up Panthers!!!!!

12. Glasgow (2A) – PR: Top 15; LW: 12 – 2016 Record: 7-1: Win 40-0 at Metcalfe County (6-3). The 2A District 3 Championship was on the line last Friday night in Edmonton! The fantastic Lighthouse Restaurant's (in Edmonton) patrons have been looking forward to this one all season as the uppity Scotties came for battle. QB Desi Austin is playing as well as anyone this year as you saw above! Happy for Coach Garmon winning his first District Championship!!! Week 10: at 3A Elizabethtown (6-3). Terrific opponent for the Scotties to continue to ramp up for the Playoffs!! Scotties have had a very good season and hope to surprise some of the 2A Bluebloods from 2A District 4 (Boyle County, LexCath, etc.). Go Scotties!!!

13. Caldwell County (3A) – PR: 9; LW: 13 – 2016 Record: 6-3: Tigers on the BYE week and they’ve certainly earned it while running off 6 straight wins after a tough first 3 games to the season. Now you face a familiar Wall of Granite known as the Mayfield Cardinals. Last season’s contest ended in a 25-24 Mayfield win in an outright Classic Game!! The last Tiger victory in this series goes back to the 2013 48-41 Gunfight at the OK Corral Game in Princeton! I predict another great battle that goes down to the wire! Wish both teams the best of luck and of course no injuries leading into the playoffs.

14. Butler County (2A) – PR: Top 15; LW: 14 – 2016 Record 6-3: Win: 56-26 vs Poor Ole 2A Todd County Central (0-9). The Bears mauled the hapless Rebels in Elkton! No Stats, but King Rex was I’m sure spectacular for the Bears! Week 10 at (2-7) 6A Ohio County. Very winnable game here for the Bears, in fact if they don’t win this game I’d say it’s a sizeable upset as Ohio County just seems to be flapping in the wind like Donald Trump’s hairdo!!! Bears looking to keep building momentum…!!!

15. Paducah Tilghman (3A) – PR: Top 15; LW: 15 – 2016 Record: 4-5. Blue Tornados blow the wings off the Falcons in Paducah 55-3. It’s the second week in a row the Blue Tornados have been spot on in dominating their opponent and now command the #2 district spot! Week 10: at (3-6) 2A Murray. Very winnable game against a down Murray squad. Tilghman continues to pick up momentum here at the end of the season. This Blue Tornado team is like the Third Wright Brother…. If they ever put it together and get if off the ground, who knows where it can fly!!!!! But it’ll certainly be fun to watch sitting safely from our PC tarmacs!!!!!!

Others Receiving Votes: Graves County, Adair County, Muhlenberg County, Allen County Scottsville, Metcalfe County, McLean County, and Edmonson County

THE FORMIDABLE 4: STILL STANDING & GETTING BETTER! The Big 4 Laid The Hammer Down Again - winning 50-0, 57-0, 41-18, and 49-7, respectively! You know the showdown this week between Franklin and Russellville will force 1 of these guys out of this group! Will BG or Mayfield join them?

Team (% likely to remain undefeated all season) (biggest challengers remaining)

(In alphabetical order):

Bowling Green (95%) (McCracken County)

Franklin Simpson (65%) (Russellville)

Mayfield (85%) (Caldwell County)

Russellville (50%) (Franklin Simpson)

“Broke Their Maiden” – In horse racing, when you break your maiden, you win your first race. Well this category is for teams that don’t get as much love, but did get their first victory of the season here and I think that’s significant:

Giddy Up Barren County Trojans!!! HUGE 19-18 Pillow Fight Victory over your district rival Grayson County Cougars! I am honestly happy for these young men who have sacrificed significant time and effort to participate in the game we love! Best of luck the rest of the way & next season Trojans!!!!

THE FORGOTTEN 5: These 5 are likely punched out like Glass Joe in Mike Tyson Punchout!!! It’s been a long season and to not get 1 win has to weigh these programs down like the anchor of the Titanic. BUT, either Logan County or Todd County Central will jump out of the frying pan this Friday Night! I have to admit I’m pulling for Logan County in this one due to the length of their losing streak! Best of luck!!!

Team (% likely to get a win this season) (best chance at a win remaining)

(In alphabetical order):

Caverna (0%) - Better luck next year Colonels!

Fulton County (0%) Just no winnable games for them! I really feel for the Pilots!

Logan County (50%) (Todd County Central) The Tidy Bowl Game is HERE vs Todd County Central! Rise Up Cougars!

Todd County Central (50%) (Logan County) The Tidy Bowl Game is HERE vs Logan County! Rise Up Rebels!

Warren Central (0%) A ticked off Greenwood team hosts the Dragons on Senior Night in the Swamp. NOT GOOD! But, still respect the heck out of you for competing all season! Better luck next year!

Edited by Purple88

Great write up @Purple88! Look forward to your write up each week. Just curious, what do you think Greenwoods record would be if they played lets say the purples schedule?

Apples to oranges? IF Greenwood had BG's athletes........the record would be similar. Greenwood has a good schedule for the type of kids they have.

BG was making headway in scheduling teams like McCallie and Blackmon, but has since regressed in playing teams like Monroe and JH.

It made sense to play Warren Central back in 2011, not anymore. When you become a powerhouse, you must act like a powerhouse. Right now Wallace is just padding the win column.

Apples to oranges? IF Greenwood had BG's athletes........the record would be similar. Greenwood has a good schedule for the type of kids they have.

BG was making headway in scheduling teams like McCallie and Blackmon, but has since regressed in playing teams like Monroe and JH.

It made sense to play Warren Central back in 2011, not anymore. When you become a powerhouse, you must act like a powerhouse. Right now Wallace is just padding the win column.

Good Lord!!!

Yea the coaches in this state are just calling him begging to play Bowling Green. Give me a Break Bernie Sanders.

Good Lord!!!

Yea the coaches in this state are just calling him begging to play Bowling Green. Give me a Break Bernie Sanders.

I'm more of a 'weekend at bernies' kind of guy, but Grandpa Bernie isn't so bad.

But you've proved my point. Very few teams in the state of Kentucky can compete with BG right now, in the last few years, or in the near future.

Want to be THE powerhouse you keep bragging about (14-15 running clocks), up your competition.

Stop talking about everyone else's schedule. South has heard about it from the Purples for the last few years, now they're starting on Greenwood.

Great write up @Purple88! Look forward to your write up each week. Just curious, what do you think Greenwoods record would be if they played lets say the purples schedule?

Thanks Big Tiger!

Your question is interesting and I will respond by how I think Greenwood would have done against BG's schedule "AT THAT POINT" in the season. Meaning some teams have clearly changed (improved mostly) since the time BG played them.

Aug 20, 16 John Hardin - John Hardin doesn't have a great offensive line and didn't play very disciplined against BG. I like Greenwood in this game. Win

Aug 26, 16 Christian County home - Toughest game to pick right here. I think it's a very close game and since it would be at the Swamp would likely pick Greenwood, but just barely as Christian County has improved greatly from that point. Win

Sep 2, 16 St. Xavier home No Contest. St X way too much for the Gators. Loss

Sep 9, 16 Owensboro away - 2nd toughest game to pick because at this time Owensboro was still throwing the ball. This is a close game and because it's at Rash I would go with the Red Devils. Loss

Sep 16, 16 Warren Central away No contest as you will see this Friday. Win

Sep 23, 16 Central Hardin Third toughest game to pick. South beat CHardin and Greenwood beat South, but it's not that simple. The way south plays is better suited to beat CHardin IMO as CHardin has very good lines and I think GW would have trouble with that. Loss.

October 28 at McCracken County - Think McCracken's ability to pass is the difference here. Loss

So for these 8 games, I say Greenwood would win 3 and lose 5. Maybe I'm too tough on them as the Owensboro, Christian County, Central Hardin and McCracken County games "COULD" be debated.

McCallie was a great series and I'd like to see it back on the schedule.

Blackmon, although being 1 of the best games I've ever seen live, was a nightmare from a safety/security standpoint.

Monroe asked to be the backup when South didn't or couldn't fill that spot.

John Hardin is a good 4A squad who has played BG in some classic games. These games are planned years in advance of know exactly how good teams will be.

Warren Central is BGs most consistent rival for decades. NO ONE could foresee their cliff-dive demise. Not all their fault and certainly not BGs. District games are district games assigned by KHSAA and South will be there next year along with Greenwood.

I admit the schedule is not like the 2013 schedule and would like to see it return to that, but you make it sound like scheduling is a clear, easy exercise. It clearly is not. Coach Wallace has earned the right to direct that. It's pretty easy to cast stones behind a computer screen.

I'm more of a 'weekend at bernies' kind of guy, but Grandpa Bernie isn't so bad.

But you've proved my point. Very few teams in the state of Kentucky can compete with BG right now, in the last few years, or in the near future.

Want to be THE powerhouse you keep bragging about (14-15 running clocks), up your competition.

Stop talking about everyone else's schedule. South has heard about it from the Purples for the last few years, now they're starting on Greenwood.

You proved my point. Its hard for them to schedule. Thanks. Don't party too much on the beach house.

Just going my words vs your words I'm not sure I'm going to make any ground with you here Grandpa Bernie, but unless BG was playing Trinity, St X, Brentwood Academy, Male, McCallie, and Archbishop Moeller then they aren't playing a good schedule. I don't agree. Although I would like to play more of those teams. Remember BG is a PUBLIC school and can't do ANYTHING they want. They could schedule one of those long distance games but that's about it, plus a home game v 1.

South's schedule will start to change in 2017 now that they will play BG.

I have no problem with Greenwood's schedule.