NKY Power Rankings 10-19-16 - Sponsored by NKY Family & Cosmetic Dentistry

Thanks to Northern Kentucky Family & Cosmetic Dentistry -"Making Northern Kentucky Smile" for sponsoring our 2016 Northern Kentucky Power Rankings! We encourage everyone to patronize all of our sponsors, and you can visit Northern Kentucky Family & Cosmetic Dentistry at 2047 Centennial Boulevard in Independence, KY.

attachment.php?attachmentid=57023&d=1469624563

THE RANKINGS:

10) Highlands (5A) 1-7 – The hardships continued for the Bluebirds this past Friday, this time with a decade-long win streak over district rival Cov Cath being snapped by the 5A Colonels in Ft. Thomas. Highlands lost on Friday 26-63. Despite 421 total yards by Highlands’ offense, including 264 yards and 2 TDs passing by QB Gosney, the Birds’ defense was still no match for Cov Cath’s offense with their 595 total yards. Highlands will shoot for their second win this season against 5A Grant County in their final district matchup.

9) Newport Catholic (2A) 4-4 – The Breds are digging themselves back out of the hole they found themselves in after running into a meat grinder of a first half to their regular season. New Cath beat 2A Lloyd this past Friday 28-18 in Erlanger. Despite Lloyd’s victory in the competition for total offensive yards, the Breds were able to pull off the win. QB Henschen passed for 128 yards and rushed for 2 TDs, while RB Kelly added 2 more TDs on the ground. Senior LB Kole Carmack followed up last week’s 14 tackle performance with another 12 solo tackles this week. New Cath will take on 2A Newport this Friday.

8) Campbell County (6A) 3-4 – It was another loss for the Camels this past Friday, as 6A Simon Kenton visited Claryville and beat Campbell County 50-20. QB Austin Hoeh passed for 129 yards and 1 TD, while RB Andrew Helton ran for 111 yards and 2 TDs. Although Campbell County and Dixie have both lost to Simon Kenton, Conner and Cooper, and both teams have beaten Highlands, it was Dixie’s superior performance against Highlands last week, and the fewer yards allowed against Simon Kenton and Cooper that gives the Colonels the edge over Campbell County. The Camels head to 6A Boone County this Friday.

7) Dixie Heights (5A) 5-3 – There isn’t much to really establish position between 5A Dixie and 1A Beechwood. For now, much of my ranking is based on Dixie’s struggle in the passing department, but we’ll have a much better gauge this week after the Colonels take on 5A Cov Cath in district play. Nonetheless, Dixie was looking solid this past Friday in their romp over 5A Grant County, beating the Braves 39-0 in Edgewood. They were only able to muster 16 yards passing, but their rushing game was on point with a total 424 yards on the ground. RB Torres had 137 yards and 2 TDs rushing, while RB Austin Rice added another 114 yards and 1 TD rushing.

6) Beechwood (1A) 7-1 – Beechwood’s district competition hasn’t provided much challenge in recent years, and that continued to hold true this past Friday as the Tigers beat the 1A Ludlow Panthers 48-6 in Ludlow. The mood was set by James Davis’ 75 yard touchdown return on opening kickoff, and continued with 2 TDs by Aiden Justice, another TD by Davis, 2 TDs by John Odom, and one more by Garrett Ratliff. Ludlow had their sole touchdown in the 4th quarter against Beechwood’s backups. The Tigers have their final regular season district game this week against 1A Dayton.

5) Conner (6A) 6-2 – The Cougars had their second loss of the season this past weekend, at the hands of 6A Ryle. Conner had a respectable offensive showing, with 397 total yards of offense, but it wasn’t enough to beat Ryle’s 478 yards in the 28-42 loss. QB Walker Beulow still had a commanding 273 yards passing, and Peyton VanHorn had an incredible 17 tackles on the defensive side of things. Conner takes on 6A district rival Cooper this Friday on the road.

4) Cooper (6A) 6-3 – The Jags became the 8th team this season to send 6A Boone County to the locker rooms with a loss, beating the Rebels 41-13. RB Jackson rushed for 87yds and 1TD while QB Lonaker put on a show with his 257yds and 4TDs passing, but there’s no doubt that the show of the game was a 33 yard reception made by WR Dante Hendrix on a one-handed diving catch. The catch was featured as the #1 play on ESPN’s Top 10 Plays that night, and you can check out the catch

. Cooper has a big district game this Friday against 6A Conner.

3) Covington Catholic (5A) 6-2 – The Colonels finally got a decade-old monkey off of their backs on Friday, beating the 5A Highlands Bluebirds in Ft. Thomas 63-26. Despite the strength of their passing game this season, Cov Cath controlled this game by keeping things primarily on the ground with RB McGinness rushing for 237 yards and 2 TDs, and QB Mayer rushing for 168 yards and 4 TDs. Mayer also threw for 93 yards and 1 TD. Linebacker Alex Shelton dominated the defensive game with 11 solo tackles. The Colonels have their final district matchup of the regular season this Friday when they host 5A Dixie Heights.

2) Ryle (6A) 8-0 – The Raiders continued their undefeated run this season with a 42-28 victory over 6A district rival Conner on Friday. Jackson High logged 7 tackles, and Josh Sandmann and Justin Selby both had 6 tackles to lead the defensive front. On the offensive side of the ball, Tanner Morgan passed for 228 yards and 3 TDs, while rushing for 1 more TD. Also in the rushing department, Jake Chisholm carried 26 times for 223 yards and 2 TDs. Ryle hosts Simon Kenton this Friday in what will be one of the most anticipated games in the state this week.

1) Simon Kenton (6A) 8-0 – Simon Kenton continued their roll over Northern Kentucky competition on Friday by beating the 6A Campbell County Camels 50-20 on Friday. QB Racke threw for 121 yards and 2 TDs, and backup QB Shearer threw for 122 yards of his own. On the defensive side of the ball, Brian Carter had 7 solo tackles, while Brayden Trattles chalked up 5 solo tackles and a pick-6. The ‘Neers have their biggest game of the season this week against NKY #3 Ryle.

Trending Up:

5A Covington Catholic (6-2) – The Colonels finally managed to take down Highlands on Friday in a 63-26 victory over the Birds. It’s the most points ever scored on Highlands by Cov Cath, and the Colonels are gunning for their first regular season district championship in since 2006.

2A Newport Catholic (4-4) – New Cath puts up their second win in a row to improve to .500 with their 28-18 win over Lloyd Memorial. The Breds are 2-0 in district competition.

Trending Down:

5A Highlands (1-7) – Highlands continued with their regular season woes, this time losing 26-63 to 5A rival Covington Catholic this past Friday.

4A Scott (1-7) – Scott dropped another one on Friday in their 14-17 loss to 4A Bourbon County.

Player Of The Week:

Peyton VanHorn (Conner)

17 solo tackles. Just…wow!

Game Of The Week:

Ryle (6A) vs. Simon Kenton (6A)

The only two teams to have occupied the #1 spot in Northern Kentucky in the last two years, and the only two undefeated teams in Northern Kentucky football are going head to head this week for their district bragging rights.

Last week I almost posted a comment questioning Highlands at number 10. I thought they belonged in that 6/7 range because of their tough schedule. After the CCH game, I will admit that you were right and I was wrong

I'd be really interested to see how they would do against New Cath in an actual game this season.

I am assuming the blue birds make this list because they wear the name "Highlands" on their jersey. No other reason, even schedule, could be logically explained. They are down there with the Holmes, Scotts, Daytons, Bellevues, and Boones of NKY. Same for Campbell County after seeing them play. I think that both of these atrocious teams could easily be replaced with Lloyd and Holy Cross. The little guys, other than Beechwood and Newcath get no love on BGP.

I am assuming the blue birds make this list because they wear the name "Highlands" on their jersey. No other reason, even schedule, could be logically explained. They are down there with the Holmes, Scotts, Daytons, Bellevues, and Boones of NKY. Same for Campbell County after seeing them play. I think that both of these atrocious teams could easily be replaced with Lloyd and Holy Cross. The little guys, other than Beechwood and Newcath get no love on BGP.

So you think Lloyd and Holy Cross would both beat Highlands if they played this season?

So you think Lloyd and Holy Cross would both beat Highlands if they played this season?

If I say yes it turns into an argument. If I say no then I've countered my argument. The simple fact of the matter is that they don't play each other so we'll never know. The other simple fact of the matter is that the blue birds are not even competitive and may (MAY) even be last in their district after this weekend. Lloyd and HC are competitive and haven't had the total season long breakdown that has happened to the blue birds. Do these 2 beat the blue birds? Who knows. Are they both better teams than the blue birds given all factors? Absolutely.

And I take it that you take no umbrage to me saying that Lloyd and HC should be on there before Campbell. Campbell has played pretty much the same schedule as the blue birds. Is there a closet blue bird fan in Park Hills? LOL!!!