NKY Power Rankings 10-11-16 - Sponsored by NKY Family & Cosmetic Dentistry

Thanks to Northern Kentucky Family & Cosmetic Dentistry -"Making Northern Kentucky Smile" for sponsoring our 2016 Northern Kentucky Power Rankings! We encourage everyone to patronize all of our sponsors, and you can visit Northern Kentucky Family & Cosmetic Dentistry at 2047 Centennial Boulevard in Independence, KY.

attachment.php?attachmentid=57023&d=1469624563

THE RANKINGS:

10) Highlands (5A) 1-6 – On Friday night the Bluebirds fans experienced something that they haven’t experienced in many decades: a guaranteed losing record in the regular season. That happened following a 20-40 loss at the hands of 5A Dixie Heights, which came as a surprise to many. The Birds defense allowed over 550 yards total offense to the Colonels, while their offense managed 275 yards of their own. QB Brady Gosney’s 223 yards and 3 TDs passing was one of the highlights for the Birds on Friday. Highlands will host 5A Covington Catholic on Friday Night, attempting to extend their 9 year winning-streak over the Colonels to 10 years

9) Newport Catholic (2A) 3-4 – Coming back from their bye week, New Cath showed that they had worked hard to make sure they could add another one in the “W” column for this season. The Breds’ schedule has been brutally hard for them, but they were able to come out of it stronger by putting up a 21-0 win over 2A district rival Holy Cross on Friday. QB Henschen passed for 147 yards and 1 TD in the victory, and senior LB Kole Carmack put on a tackling clinic with 14 solo tackles and another 3 assisted tackles. New Cath heads to Erlanger to take on 2A Lloyd Memorial on Friday.

8) Dixie Heights (5A) 4-3 – Dixie hasn’t exactly been on fire thus far this season, but it would certainly appear that they are working hard on getting hot when it matters. The Colonels made definite strides towards that on Friday when they managed to surprise many across the state by beating 5A Highlands in their first district matchup of the season, 40-20. This marked the first time since 2002 what Dixie beat Highlands on the football field, and the first ever career victory over the Birds for Dixie’s Coach Brossart. RB Jose Torres rushed for 230 yards and 2 touchdowns, while RB Cameron Barrett added on another 169 yards and 1 touchdown of his own. Dixie hosts 5A Grant County this week on Thursday night.

7) Beechwood (1A) 6-1 – When it came to Beechwood’s first game of the season against another 1A team, the Tigers came, they saw, and they conquered. That is likely to be the case through at least the first round of the 1A playoffs. This past Friday night brought on the 1A Bellevue Tigers, there wasn’t much challenge for the Tigers from Fort Mitchell. The score was 41-7 at the half, Beechwood tacked on another 14 points with their backups in the second half. The Beechies had over 500 yards total offense, and QB Brayden Burch was able to connect for 5 touchdowns in the air. This week brings on their next 1A district competitor, the Dayton Greendevils.

6) Campbell County (6A) 3-4 – There’s a definite space between the #5 and #6 spots in the Northern Kentucky Power Rankings, as evidenced by the fact that the #5 team beat the #6 team on Friday in a 44-0 shutout. The Camels struggled on Friday as they were blanked by Conner, barely getting over 200 yards total offense in the game. They continued their season-long struggle to get any significant movement with their run game, and they turned the ball over 3 times in the shutout loss. Their stiff competition continues this week when Campbell hosts the undefeated 6A Simon Kenton Pioneers.

5) Conner (6A) 6-1 – Last week I questioned Conner a bit. Although they were enjoying a 5-1 record, I couldn’t help but comment on the fact that they needed to show they were capable of beating 2A teams by more than 2 and 3 touchdowns if they wanted to make any noise in the 6A post-season. Well the Cougars definitely did that on Friday when they handed 6A Campbell County their first shutout loss in almost 2 years, pounding the Camels 44-0. Peyton VanHorn with a huge game defensively for Conner, with 9 solo tackles and 3 assisted tackes. QB Walker Beulow was 66% passing with 229 yards and 2 TDs thrown. The Cougars with have yet another game against a 6A challenger when they host Ryle on Friday.

4) Covington Catholic (5A) 5-2 – Cov Cath drove to Dry Ridge on Friday and did what they went there to do: play dominant football and beat their 5A district competition. The Colonels beat Grant County 56-7, with second stringers beginning to rotate in for playing time in the 1st quarter of the game. Sophomore RB Casey McGinness had 98 yards rushing and 2 TDs, while junior quarterback AJ Mayer passed for 146 yards and 3 TDs. There were 26 different players with tackles on the defensive side of things for the Colonels. This Friday is the biggest game of the regular season for the Colonels as they face their district foe and #1 rival: the Highlands Bluebirds. The game is in Fort Thomas.

3) Cooper (6A) 5-3 – At this point in the season, the #3 through #5 spots still sit in a virtual tie with one another. Cooper had a significantly better performance against 2A New Cath than 6A Conner did, and they had a significantly better performance against 6A Ryle than 5A Cov Cath did. However, Conner had slightly better performances against 6A Simon Kenton and 6A Campbell County than Cooper did. As it stands, in light of a very close game against NKY #2 Ryle on Friday, Cooper holds on to the #3 spot in Northern Kentucky. Jaguars’ quarterback Jarod Lonaker had another stellar performance on Friday, despite the Jags losing 42-49, when he threw for 301 yards and 4 TDs. A big game for DB Justin Schlarman as well on defense, with 6 solo tackles and an interception. Cooper hosts 6A Boone County in district action this week.

2) Ryle (6A) 7-0 – This is an example of one of the not-so-common occasions where a team wins a game, but still drops in the rankings. Ryle did win on Friday, and they won against a 6A district rival, and they won against a hometown rival when they beat Cooper 49-42. However, despite a fantastic performance from junior RB Jake Chisholm (218 yards and 3 TDs rushing), the Raiders didn’t manage to distance themselves from Cooper as well as Simon Kenton did in their 46-20 victory over the Jaguars. Ryle heads to Hebron to take on another district rival when they play 6A Conner on Friday.

1) Simon Kenton (6A) 7-0 – Simon Kenton makes their way back to the #1 spot in NKY. After questioning how the Pioneer defense stacked up against Ryle’s, I was proven wrong when 6A Ryle failed to handle the 6A Cooper Jags as well as Simon Kenton had four weeks ago. The Pioneers also absolutely stomped 6A Boone County, shutting the Rebels out for the first time this season in a 52-0 win by Simon Kenton. There were 6 different ‘Neers who scored touchdowns on Friday night, including two TD’s a piece for both Racke and Sergent. Simon Kenton plays this Friday on the road against 6A Campbell County.

Trending Up:

2A Newport Catholic (3-4) – A big win over 2A Holy Cross on Friday helps direct the Breds’ ship in the right direction, and shows that with the first half of the season behind them, they can still push teams around in 2A.

6A Simon Kenton (7-0) – Still undefeated, Simon Kenton moves back to the #1 spot in NKY after 6A Ryle fails to match up as well as the Pioneers did against shared 6A opponent Cooper.

Trending Down:

5A Highlands (1-6) – It’s been a very difficult schedule for the Bluebirds thus far this season, but the Birds have now guaranteed themselves their first losing regular season record in decades after losing 20-40 to the 5A Dixie Colonels.

4A Holmes (2-5) – The Bulldogs continue to slide backwards, showing that they have little effectiveness against teams with much of any talent. Holmes has managed a combined 20 points on offense in their five losing games, including a loss last week to 4A Bourbon County (3-4).

Player Of The Week:

Kole Carmack (Newport Catholic)

When a single player gets 14 solo tackles in a single game, then you should write that player’s name down. Here’s writing Kole Carmack’s name down.

Game Of The Week:

Covington Catholic (5A) vs. Highlands (5A)

This season marks a decade since Covington Catholic had their last win over Highlands – way back in the 2006 AAA playoffs. Cov Cath is currently 5-2, and Highlands is currently 1-6. Is this finally, FINALLY going to be the week when we see the Colonels beat the Birds??

I question the logic about Ryle's defense when comparing them to SK. SK had a better showing against Cooper, but Ryle had a better showing against Highlands. At this level, it is all about matchups. Time will tell by the end of the season who is the best in NKY.

Boone wins.

Boone can't score this season. They're averaging 10 points per game, while Highlands (despite losing 6 games) is still averaging 30 points per game.

So...can you explain your logic, or is this just an example of you hating on a team because they aren't Simon Kenton? Also, like Qb doc asked, what's the score of a hypothetical Boone County vs. Highlands game?

I think any given day, anyone can beat anyone. I am not against Highlands in any way, my only point is a team with 1 win ranked in the top 10 seems questionable. I was just saying if they can be ranked 10th, so could the other teams you listed.

I think any given day, anyone can beat anyone. I am not against Highlands in any way, my only point is a team with 1 win ranked in the top 10 seems questionable. I was just saying if they can be ranked 10th, so could the other teams you listed.

The power rankings are about which teams are stronger than the others - which teams can beat which.

So if on any given day anyone can beat anyone, then do you think Dayton (2-3) could beat Highlands (1-6) if they were to play tomorrow?

Care to take a shot at your top 10?

(I'm not looking to pick on you. I'm just interested to hear what other folks' interpretations of the power rankings are.)

So correct me if I'm reading your post incorrectly, but you are saying that amongst the teams in Northern Kentucky, you think Carroll County (2-5), Grant County (3-3), Owen County (3-4), Dayton (2-5), Pendleton County (2-5), and Ludlow (3-4) are all capable of beating Highlands?

Highlands would absolutely destroy any of the above teams.