Bluegrasspreps' Eastern Kentucky Power Rankings 10-9

ATLCat

1. Johnson Central Golden Eagles (4A, 7-0)- Greenup was no issue for Matney's bunch who seem to look better and better each week. With lowly Rowan County next expect JC to heal some wounds.

2. Belfry Pirates (3A, 6-1)- Speaking of teams healing up, Belfry did just that against Lawrence County but still rolled with ease. The Pirates host a foe from outside Cleveland and may get their legs stretched a bit this week.

3. Corbin Redhounds (3A, 6-1)- Corbin took the week off and now gear up for Bell County. In the past few years this would be "Must See" football, but instead a running clock can be expected.

4. Pulaski County Maroons (5A, 6-1)- Lincoln County was no match for the Maroons and Pulaski now gets to celebrate a bit as they return their QB from injury. South Laurel will be a nice adjustment game as he gets back into the groove.

5. Southwestern Warriors (5A, 5-2)- Southwestern made short work of South Laurel and now draws Lincoln County as their final prep before the big one. The Warrior offense has regained form after the Corbin defeat it appears.

6. Rockcastle County Rockets (4A, 6-1)- The Rockets were not exactly sharp against Russell County a week removed from their huge win. Clay County will give them an easy chance to get the kinks out before their next big game on the schedule.

7. Paintsville Tigers (1A, 8-0)- After vanquishing Fairview there remains one more District game and boy is it a big one. First Paintsville finds a week of rest and relaxation.

8. Raceland Rams (1A, 7-0)- Raceland only has Fairview standing in the way of potentially the biggest 1A Clash of the year.

9. Wayne County Cardinals (4A, 6-2)- The Cardinals aren't exactly playing stellar football but they found enough cushion to hold on to in order to take down Knox Central. Wayne should be able to focus on fundamentals the next two weeks to prepare for a playoff push, all while doing some scoreboard watching and hoping for a three way tie.

10. Ashland Tomcats (4A, 5-2)- The Tomcats eek ahead of three loss Knox Central riding a five game win streak with their only KY loss coming very narrowly over #8 Raceland. The Tomcats have a tune up week against Greenup to set up their renewal of their rivalry with Matney's crew.

The Next 5:

11. Knox Central Panthers (4A, 4-3-1)- The Panthers gave Wayne all they wanted but fell short in their come back bid. Knoc has to find a way to defeat Rockcastle later this season to keep their hopes of a First Round playoff game at home alive.

12. Pikeville Panthers (1A, 5-2)- Pikeville is playing out the rest of the regular season and she be 9-2 before getting tested again in Round 2.

13. Whitley County Colonels (5A, 6-1)- The Colonels are now riding a six game win streak entering a mammoth District showdown.

14. Somerset Briar Jumpers (2A, 4-3)- The Jumpers have taken some quality losses to good teams and have a nice win over Hazard under their belt. They would trade all that for a win this weekend against LCA.

15. Hazard Bulldogs (1A, 6-2)- Hazard still has their Championship pulse kicking but know the playoff path will be a very difficult one.

Player of the Week

RB Nathan Keathley, Betsy Layne

In a special edition of the EKY Player of the Week it goes to the Betsy Layne Junior who ran one time for 56 yards and his team's lone TD in a loss to Allen Central. Keathley also added the two point conversion for extra emphasis.

Keathley is a special needs student who when he was born was thought that he would never walk or speak. Well shows what those Doctors know! Keathley not only is walking but he is scoring TD's! A special shout-out to the Allen Central and Betsy Layne staffs for how they handled the situation as they let a young man make a highlight that many will remember for years.

Game of the Week

Whitley County Colonels at Harlan County Black Bears- Class 5A District 8, and more importantly home field advantage throughout the playoffs, will be decided at Coal Miners' Memorial Stadium. Whitley enters red hot and winners of six in a row, but the Black Bears are one of the best 2-5 teams you will find having played a murderous schedule.

I have to disagree with your assessment of #6 Rockcastle. We were as sharp as we have been all year. Your basing your statement off of the final score of 40-28. Ask anyone who was there it was 40-0 at halftime with a running clock with 2-3 minutes left before halftime and Russell county had negative total yards for the half. Seniors were benched and never seen even one snap the entire second half even when the score was 40-28 we just kept subbing in JV and freshman players. Same thing will happen this week with Clay county. Doesn't matter tho all that matters is everyone stayed healthy another week and we got the W.

Edited by RoCkMaN28

Pretty good list. I too think Russell should be on the list and right around the 10-12 range would be fair.

Not sure the top two teams shouldn't be flipped but that will work its way out through the season.

EKY football is quickly becoming the "Haves" vs the "Have Nots". With the 6 class system there are few teams that can push the top teams in most EKY districts but over all classes there are some good teams playing some good football.

Not sure I see JC over Belfry. It's closer than I would have anticipated at the beginning of the season but JC really took it on the chin last year against nearly the same Belfry team.

Thankfully, in a couple of weeks we will have an answer. If both teams play with their complete roster, it should make for one heck of a game. I just wish this game was in the earlier part of the schedule so sitting players wasn't as much of a possibility.

Not sure I see JC over Belfry. It's closer than I would have anticipated at the beginning of the season but JC really took it on the chin last year against nearly the same Belfry team.

Thankfully, in a couple of weeks we will have an answer. If both teams play with their complete roster, it should make for one heck of a game. I just wish this game was in the earlier part of the schedule so sitting players wasn't as much of a possibility.

That Capital win is the difference right now.

Capital may very well be the #1 overall team in WV and Johnson Central beat them like a rented mule.

I understand that. But I look at Belfrys game with Knox Cath a lil different. I understand it was a loss but following the game in the update threads, it just seemed Belfry couldn't get out of its own way with turnovers, penalities, etc. A 25 point loss to a Top 50 nationally ranked in the road when you arguable didn't play your best game, qualifies Belfry for a quality loss to me that does more than any win JC has.