Duke 2016/2017 v Kentucky 2014/2015

Walter

Was talking college basketball earlier with a buddy and we started comparing the two rosters and which was better. Interested to hear everyone else's thoughts who are actually a fan of the two teams. Obviously both teams are/were absolutely loaded:

Duke 2016/2017- 8 top 30 players (10 top 40)

Freshmen:

6'10 Harry Giles 5* #2

6'8 Jayson Tatum 5* #4

6'3 Frank Jackson 5* #13

6'11 Marques Bolden 5* #15

6'10 Javin DeLaurier 4* #39

Sophomore:

6'10 Chase Jeter 5* #15

6'5 Luke Kennard 5* #21

Junior:

6'5 Grayson Allen 4* #25

Senior:

6'5 Matt Jones 4* #37 (2013)

6'9 Amile Jefferson 4* #30 (2012)

Also have 6'9 junior Sean Obi in the front court who didn't do much at Duke last year but averaged 11 and 9 a game at Rice his freshman year.

Kentucky 2014/15- 9 top 25 players (10 top 43)

Junior:

6'8 Alex Poythress 5* #7

6'11 Willie Cauley-Stein 4* #43

Sophomore:

6'5 Andrew Harrison 5* #5

6'5 Aaron Harrison 5* #6

6'10 Dakari Johnson 5* #10

6'9 Marcus Lee 5* #18

(Left Willis/Hawkins out because neither were significant contributors)

Freshmen:

7'1 Karl Anthony-Towns 5* #5

6'9 Trey Lyles 5* #10

5'9 Tyler Ulis 5* #19

6'6 Devin Booker 5* #22

Thoughts? One thing we discussed is the strength of each class, as a kid might be rated higher/lower in a different class. EX: 2016 class was absolutely loaded, along with 2014.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it will be hard for a lot of us to discuss this, at this point. Most of us, even avid college basketball fans couldn't tell you much about the Duke Freshmen and how good they'll be at this level. On paper they are a great team, would love to see them and Kentucky face each other in the Champions Classic.

Could be a great conversations in 6 months.

Giles is out another 6 weeks following his 3rd knee surgery. What are the odds he actually suits up for Duke this year?

According to the video below, it looks like he has been working out and playing all summer so I'm going to assume this was just a precautionary procedure to make sure everything is fine with the knee before the season starts.

Also saw this quote from Coach K in Duke Chronicle:

“We’re very pleased with the outcome of today’s procedure,” Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski said in a release. “This is the right step for Harry at the moment as it will help him be 100 percent going forward. Harry has done a tremendous job in rehabilitation over the last year and I’m sure he’ll continue to do the same after this procedure.”

According to the video below, it looks like he has been working out and playing all summer so I'm going to assume this was just a precautionary procedure to make sure everything is fine with the knee before the season starts.

I love when people say it's a "precautionary" procedure or "preventative" surgery. The unfortunate reality is that this young man has had 3 knee surgeries in the last 3 years, and that ain't good. If I'm him, I'd consider rehabbing until 2017.

I love when people say it's a "precautionary" procedure or "preventative" surgery. The unfortunate reality is that this young man has had 3 knee surgeries in the last 3 years, and that ain't good. If I'm him, I'd consider rehabbing until 2017.

It's definitely something to keep an eye on.

My thoughts exactly. I hope the best for the young man, but he needs to think more about his future than this season.