BluegrassPreps - Western Kentucky Power Ranking - 10/2/16

Purple88

BluegrassPreps 2016 Western Kentucky Power Rankings – Week 6 Edition

Concerning the top story line for this week, Fall and Fall Breaks have arrived and for many of the top teams, the BYE week is upon us. Rest and recuperation are the most prescribed mandates for most teams and yourself. I went to the lake this weekend and it was a BLAST! I encourage you and yours to do the same and enjoy our great outdoors!

While players are headed to the couch, what about the coaching staffs? I would say the better coaching staffs take this time to relax a bit, but carry around film on the best team they have yet to play this season. As once it’s in your blood, you never really get away from football during the season!

Popcorn N Coke Top 10 Version – Week 6:

1. Bowling Green 5A (7-0): Win 61-0 at 5A Grayson County

2. Mayfield 2A (7-0): Win 49-7 at 2A Murray

3. Franklin Simpson 4A (7-0): Win 48-0 at 4A Warren Central

4. Greenwood 5A (6-1): Win 42-6 vs 5A Barren County

5. South Warren 4A (4-2): BYE

6. McCracken County 6A (5-2): Win 49-7 at 6A Ohio County

7. Owensboro Catholic (6-1): Win 43-0 vs 2A McLean County

8. Owensboro (4-2): Win 27-24 2OT at 5A Christian County

9. Christian County 5A (5-2): Loss 27-24 2OT vs 5A Owensboro

10. Hopkinsville 4A (5-1): Win 39-0 at 4A Madisonville - North Hopkins

Week 6 Western Kentucky Game of the Week Recap: 5A Owensboro (4-2) 27 at 5A Christian County (4-2) 24 in 2OTs – WILD Game but GREAT Game! This one had MANY different facets to it. It was raining, Keyron Catlett was OUTSTANDING! Owensboro’s OLine was also OUTSTANDING! Owensboro rushed for 278 yards and NO PASSING YARDS! Hey, if it works; it works. The Red Devil D gave up an aggregate of 18 rush yards and 65 pass yards (according to the KHSAA Owensboro reported data). Maybe the oddest thing that happened was a skunk was seen on the field just before the second half kick before he scampered off. Maybe that was an omen for the Colonels! HUGE Win for the Red Devils as they now have the upper hand in tough 5A District 1.

Week 7 Western Kentucky Game of the Week: 4A Allen County Scottsville (3-3) at 4A Franklin Simpson (7-0). Allen County won this game last year in Scottsville 21-20. And it was this win that really made me pay attention to them. They march into Shadetree Stadium a decided underdog on paper with 3 losses. However, the 3 losses are by a combined 18 points to good/decent teams. I wouldn’t call a District Matchup a trap game, but it just has that feel for Franklin, now with state recognition from beating the mighty South Warren Spartans. The one thing you can count on is that the Patriots will be ready to play even though it was reported that ACSs super-talented QB Chase Wilson was knocked out of the Warren East game with a knee injury. His status is still unclear. It seems that they were missing that 1 play or 1 drive to get over the hump in their other 3 games. Can they get over the hump here? Can Coach Preston maintain his team's focus? Will be interesting to see….

Honorable Mention: None

Meat & Potato’s Version Week 6 Top 10:

10) Hopkinsville (4A) – Pre-Season Rank (PR): 9; Last Week (LW): 9 - 2016 Record 5-1; District Record 1-0] Week 6 Results: Win 39-0 at 4A Madisonville-NH (1-6) You know it’s tough when you club the seal that is Madisonville-NH by a running clock to zero and fall in the Power Rankings. Such is life when the Red Devils make a statement! Keep taking care of business Tigers – It is what it is now. No time to change; only time to keep the hammer down! Week 7: vs. Logan County (0-6). Not much to say about a team that hasn’t won since October 12, 2012, except the Cupcake flavor this week is: SUPREME!

9) Christian County (5A) – PR: 5; LW: 4 - 2016 Record 5-2; [District Record 1-1] Week 6 Results: Loss: 27-24 2OT vs 5A Owensboro (4-2). I’m sure you’re not enthused at being dropped to #9, but if Keyron Catlett doesn’t play and a couple of calls are switched this game is a running clock. I thought the Colonel D played well and that’s the side of the ball I usually am concerned with. However, calling a spade a spade, I have been underwhelmed with the Colonel O this year. Moving Catlett around and getting him touches in various ways was very strategic, but it seems that he was the only Colonel the Red Devil D had to worry about. Regroup Colonels! Week 7: In Eagle Country vs 5A Owensboro Apollo (2-4). Christian County will be way too much for the Eagles in this one.

I just get the feeling that the Eagles are basically the Griswolds in European Vacation where Chevy Chase say “Look Kids: Big Ben – Parliament!” and just keep driving around and around. The riherd’s sports page begins their data with the 1998 season. The 12 seasons between 1998 and 2009, the Eagles had 8 season with at least a 500 record with a high water mark of 9 and 4 in 2001. In the 9 seasons between 2007 and 2015, every season has been 3 wins or less except for 2009 with 6 wins. What has changed at Apollo? Just not enough Jimmy’s and Joe’s? Maybe our good friend @ApolloFan98 knows!

8) Owensboro (5A) – PR: 7; LW: 12 - 2016 Record 4-2; [District Record 1-0] Week 6 Results: Win: 27-24 2OT at 5A Christian County (5-2). Red Devils have to be sky high after this win. Looking through this world with Red Devil glasses on, you would be hard to find one that wouldn't mention “questionable” calls in this game, but that really doesn’t matter. What matters is that you never quit and kept grinding the Colonels down and now own the lead in the district and the fast track to avoid BG one more week! Two Red Devils you might see later are SR Malik Munday who made key tackles and carried the rock for some tough yards to keep the sticks moving. Also SO CB Aireon Phillips make 2 key interceptions that kept the field tilted in the Red Devils favor! Week 7: in Marshalls' County at 5A Marshall County (3-3). I think Marshall County is a good story this season, but also think they took a step back last week vs Graves County. Not that they lost, but the 31-7 score did give me good vibes. Therefore, the Red Devils should have no worries this week.

7) Owensboro Catholic (2A) – PR: Top 15; LW: 8 - 2016 Record 6-1; [District Record 2-0] Week 6 Results: Win: 43-0 vs McLean County 2A (4-2). Complete mis-match in the one. Aces with over 500 yards on offense while McLean could only muster 55 yards total offense! Vonn Williams 24 carries for 172 yards and 2 TDs. Jacob Weston with 6 catches for 65 yards and LB Josh Sloan with 10 tackles for the Aces D! Week 7: at 2A Hancock County (3-4). The Hornets have played the Aces every year since 2007 and have played sporadically before that. The last Hornets win was in Lewisport back in 2009 (24-19). But the series in large part as been dominated by the Aces with more lop-sided wins than close games. The Hornets already have 2 more wins than all of last year. GREAT for them! I don’t see 3 more against the Aces!

6). McCracken County (6A) – PR: 4; LW: 7 - 2016 Record 5-2; [District Record 2-0] Week 6 Results: Win: 49 to 7 at 6A Ohio County 6A (2-5). A lot to a little! Cash Jones continues his top shelf play with 12 for 19 passing for 311 yards and 6 TDs in 2 quarters. Not much left to do in this one! Week 7: In Colonels County at Henderson County 6A (2-5). The road trip marches on as Coach Stonewall Jackson keeps pressing his Mustangs onward looking for a deathgrip on the District. No rest for the weary! Henderson County is an interesting team. The Colonels have a new coach, and one you know wants to be there. They play 5 teams right out of the gate that are all more seasoned than they are and they took the Ls for it. They remind me of Ft Thomas Highlands from a scheduling standpoint. Now they come into district play, which is overall as weak as a cup of chamomile tea, but have performed admirably. BUT the Mustangs are different. And I expect them to be way too much for the Colonels.

5) South Warren (4A) – PR: 3; LW: 5 - 2016 Record 4-2; [District Record 0-1] Week 6 Results: BYE. I can’t think of another team that could likely benefit more from a bye week than the Spartans. Hopefully the many walking wounded will be back next week. Week 7: vs 4A Warren East (2-5). The Raiders have certainly played better the last several games compared to the first couple games, but this is another level that I just don’t think they can get to. I would think Coach Smith would take a very conservative approach concerning his valuable troops that might need another week to get healthy!

4). Greenwood (5A) – PR: 10; LW: 6 - 2016 Record 6-1; [District Record 1-0] Week 6 Results: Win: 42-6 vs 5A Barren County (0-7). Gators take care of a Bad Trojan team with 266 yards gained vs 190 yards for the Trojans! Solid win and I’m not aware of any significant injuries for the Gators. Week 7: BYE. Gator faithful head to the off week in great shape. Very easily could have been undefeated, but still no shame losing to Franklin Simpson. I would assume Coach Seabolt (Who has done a Flat Out Great Job this season!) and staff would be locked in the Gator Compound with a bucket of Charles Chips popcorn, a case of Jolt Cola and a stack of BG tapes trying to break the Hammurabi Code that is the Bowling Green Purples! Good Luck!

3) Franklin Simpson (4A) – PR: 8; LW – 3 - 2016 Record 7-0; [District Record 2-0] Week 6 Results: Win: 48-0 over 4A Warren Central (0-7). It is what it is. Central is going through an unprecedented season. Hang in there Dragons! No stats available for this one, but was what you would expect from this meeting this season. Week 7: Western Kentucky Game of the Week vs 4A Allen County Scottsville (4-3). I’m sure Coach Preston has not forgotten that District loss last season in Scottsville! But this is a different Franklin squad. In Franklin, I like the Wildcats handily in this one!

2) Mayfield (2A) – PR: 2; LW: 2 - 2016 Record 7-0; [District Record 1-0] - Week 6 Results: Win: 49-7 at 2A Murray (1-6). I wonder if our good friend @Toothpick has finished off his pot of Yeller Chicken Soup yet! I’m sure getting a running clock on your rival, especially one where no love is lost, is a Great Feeling & Great Win! Landon Arnette is playing as well as any quaterback right now and just keeps on keeping on with over 300 yards in the air! That’s more than Murray got on the night as a team! Plus as our good friend @rookie57 pointed out that the Mayfield WR corps seem to really be coming on right now. Bad news for 2A! Week 7: BYE. Great time to get Trajan Bright back to 100%. 7 down and 8 to go; Rest up Cardinals! You will need it cause as I understand it – you will be doing more traveling this post-season as opposed to last!

1) Bowling Green (5A) – PR: 1; LW: 1 - 2016 Record 7-0; [District Record 7-0] Week 6 Results: Win: 61-0 over 5A Grayson County (1-6). BG outgained Grayson 470 to 103. BG runs 26 offensive play and scores 9 TDs. BG gets 59 players in the game. You get the gist! Jamale Carothers had the highlight taking a handoff 99 yards for 1 of 2 TDs on the night and passes the GREAT Nacarius Fant (who leads the Nation with 2 punt returns for TDs this season for WKU) for second place on the BGHS all-time scoring list. Carothers is now 67 points behind the under-rated Avery Hibbit for first place on the all-time list. Will he get it Sports Fans? I say yes he will. It got so Nintendo-ish that Coach Wallace let 4 different Purples kick off including SR OLineman Chaz Tooley! Week 7: BYE. The Purples head to the Bye Week right where you would script it 7 and 0 and pretty healthy. Rest up for what I hope is an 8 game run to WKU. Purple Fans, if you have not seen this team IN PERSON, you need to make an effort to do so. Yes, BG has had much recent success, but this team truly is special. Please make an attempt to come out and see them in person. I suggest at the El on October 21st vs Greenwood. The district will be on the line!

Week 6 Players of the Week: (I am going to try to pick different guys for this list to try and provide more hardworking young men a chance to get highlighted than to keep going to the same ones over and over. Also, I do not get all the stats by the time this edition goes out, so please add to the list and thank you for it!)

1) Keyron Catlett – WR, RB, Returner, Anything you need! – Christian County – I have no stats for Mr. Catlett at this time, but listened to this game and he was getting the ball most of the night and got all 3 Colonel TDs. Played his tail off!

2) Daniel Caudill – RB/LB – Edmonson County – 8 tackles; 39 carries for 250 yards and 4 TDs vs Adair County!

3) Malik Munday – LB/RB – Owensboro – 11 tackles; 11 carries for 38 yards;

Aireon Phillips – CB – 2 INTs vs Christian County!

4) Alex Rhodes – SO FB & LB – Greenwood – 12 tackles and 4 carries for 20 yards and 3 TDs vs Barren County!

Week 6 “Big Droppers”

Christian County (5A) – Down – I realize you played a quality team here, but the fact is your offense simply couldn’t get it done and this time, unlike last week, it ends up costing you big time as you will likely have to travel to BG in Week 2 of the playoffs. Christian County has many terrific athletes on the offensive side of the ball. I just get a feeling that something is holding them back from gelling. Call it a hunch. Is it as simple as making some adjustments or is it just not meant to be? You tell me!

Adair County (4A) – Down – You honestly just felt this coming as I just couldn’t put my finger on how good this team is and likely still can’t. Edmonson County was a 2 and 4 team that is as middle of the road as you can get. Now you go into the Bye week with a trip to Etown on the horizon. Poor timing IMO. Best way to move on from a loss is to play the next week and earn a quick W. Now you’re going to sit on that loss and should Etown get up on you early, you have to wonder how the Indians will respond. We shall see Sports Fans! .

Week 6 “Big Risers”

Owensboro (5A) – Up – After the Aces to the left of you and Purples to the right, the Red Devils have got it stuck in the Veer with you! And their personnel would appear to be loving it. With the Beefcake OLine, plowing everything from Frederica Street to Hopkinsville, the Red Devils are turning into the team many thought they could be this year. “Could” set up a very entertaining rematch of last year’s Week 2 Playoff matchup against the Greenwood Gators. That would be a “who can fool who” the most match of Veer-Happy Squads! Lots of good stuff ahead Red Devil Fans! My only worry for you is your 2-way players. Will they be a problem later in the year? We shall see!

Greenwood (5A) – Up – Had a few options here and chose the Gators! Jackson Adams is a really special player! It appears from a distance that the Willie Reynolds experiment has come and gone and both have moved on. Besides the loss to Franklin and the win at Allen County Scottsville, no team this season has scored more than 16 points on the Gators D. This is significant and another reason I feel this Gator team will be a very tough out in the Playoffs!

11 Thru 15

11. Russellville (1A) – Preseason Rank (PR): Top 15; Last Week (LW): 10 - 2016 Record 7-0; [District Record 1-0] Week 6 Results: Win: 62-0 at 1A Fulton County (0-6). Boy, it’s a sour pill to swallow when you blank a team by 62 and drop in the rankings, but that is where the Panthers find themselves this week. Kinda like eating celery, which requires more energy to consume it than you get from it. That’s what it’s like playin Poor Ole Fulton County. Week 7: BYE. 7 Up & 7 Down for the Panthers! And with a BYE week upon them, the need for focus would seem to be at a premium with your long-term glasses on. As the district path is a walk through the tulips, but on the 28th Franklin Simpson will march 30 minutes up KY Route 100 with Black-eyed Susans in hand!!!

12. Glasgow (2A) – PR: Top 15; LW: 14 – 2016 Record: 5-1: Win 56-6 against the Dragons of Green County. Really like this Scottie team! Think they can make a run in the playoffs!

13. Caldwell County (3A) – Fresh off a 45-20 win at 3A District Rival Paducah Tilghman, the Tigers dismiss a usually stubborn Union County squad 49-20 for their 4th straight win! Tigers are rollin!

14. Edmonson County (3A) – WOW NELLIE! No one ever said Edmonson County was an easy place to get a road win! But I must admit at being stunned when I saw this score. I know of Daniel Caudill and his big numbers and am happy for him and Coach Nathan Smith and staff! Biggest win for Edmonson County in some time!

15. Adair County (3A) – PR: Top 15; LW: 13 – 2016 Record: 6-1. Indians come up on the short end of the stick in Brownsville on Friday night 27-19. Well Indian fans you are now at the cross roads! You got your first loss on the season mostly unexpectedly and now have a bye week before traveling to arguably your toughest game on your schedule (at Etown). How will you handle it? We shall see!

Others Receiving Votes: Graves County, Allen County Scottsville, Paducah Tilghman, Muhlenberg County, Monroe County, Metcalfe County, McLean County

“Broke Their Maiden” – In horse racing, when you break your maiden, you win your first race. Well this category is for teams that don’t get as much love, but did get their first victory of the season here and I think that’s significant:

IT’S LONLEY AT THE TRACK THIS WEEK!

THE FORMIDABLE 4: Adair County and Muhlenberg County hit the road of hard knocks, but have to wash the cars of the 4 remaining gladiators on their way out!

You know either Franklin or Russellville will be forced out of this group as they play each other the last game of the regular season! Will any others join them?

Team (% likely to remain undefeated all season) (biggest challengers remaining)

(In alphabetical order):

Bowling Green (95%) (Greenwood and McCracken County)

Franklin Simpson (65%) (Allen County Scottsville, and Russellville)

Mayfield (85%) (Caldwell County)

Russellville (50%) (Franklin Simpson)

THE SULLEN 6: We’re still as sullen, beat up, ripped jerseys as ever! These 6 wondering gypsys remain winless on the season!

Team (% likely to get a win this season) (best chance at a win remaining)

(In alphabetical order):

Barren County (35%) (Grayson County and Edmonson County)

Caverna (25%) (Fort Knox)

Fulton County (5%) (Merge with Fulton City Please, Forest Fire)

Logan County (50%) (Todd County Central)

Todd County Central (50%) (Logan County)

Warren Central (5%) (Warren East)

Two observations:

I noticed Butler County has fallen off the face of the planet and is nowhere in the top 15. I wonder how much Rex Henderson's stock has fallen.

Also, can anyone make the claim of the Oct. 28 "titanic" struggle between Logan County and Todd Central to be named "the Western Kentucky Toilet Bowl?"

Two observations:

I noticed Butler County has fallen off the face of the planet and is nowhere in the top 15. I wonder how much Rex Henderson's stock has fallen.

Also, can anyone make the claim of the Oct. 28 "titanic" struggle between Logan County and Todd Central to be named "the Western Kentucky Toilet Bowl?"

Racer,

These are very good points!

1. Concerning Butler County, they currently sit at 4 and 3 and just waxed District mate Hancock County 41-0. They lost by 2 TDs at home to OCath. No shame there as they are #7 in the polls and going up! With that said, no way BC is Top 10. But Top 15, the only teams I see them competing with is Edmonson County (who they already beat this year) and Adair County. Would you put them here?

2. That is funny on the toilet bowl! I'm pulling for Logan in that one as their streak is longer. That is some dedication for high school kids to have to put in that much effort and to never get a win. Tough in this day and age!

Please excuse my ignorance, but could someone please educate me on what is included in aggregate stats.

Tiger,

You are only ignorant if you don't know and don't seek to find the answer!!!

For me, I think the term "aggregate stats" or really "aggregate" means total or combined. So total stats or combined stats.

I used the term aggregate above when talking about Owensboro's D and the Christian County offensive numbers that were available at that time.

So I was really combining the rushing and passing yards or presenting them and calling it the "aggregate" numbers. But basically just the combined total of all offensive (rushing and passing), defensive (yards allowed), and special teams (return yards) and those scores for the total stats.

It is funny as the Christian County stats are now up and they report 192 yards rushing and 116 yards passing, which makes much more since to me. So actually Christian County outgained O by 10 yards. If they outgained County by 250 yards as was first reported I don't think it would have been a double OT game.

Sorry for the long-windedness, but hope this helps with the question!

Are you a Hopkinsville Tiger Fan or another Tiger Fan?

Tiger,

You are only ignorant if you don't know and don't seek to find the answer!!!

For me, I think the term "aggregate stats" or really "aggregate" means total or combined. So total stats or combined stats.

I used the term aggregate above when talking about Owensboro's D and the Christian County offensive numbers that were available at that time.

So I was really combining the rushing and passing yards or presenting them and calling it the "aggregate" numbers. But basically just the combined total of all offensive (rushing and passing), defensive (yards allowed), and special teams (return yards) and those scores for the total stats.

It is funny as the Christian County stats are now up and they report 192 yards rushing and 116 yards passing, which makes much more since to me. So actually Christian County outgained O by 10 yards. If they outgained County by 250 yards as was first reported I don't think it would have been a double OT game.

Sorry for the long-windedness, but hope this helps with the question!

Are you a Hopkinsville Tiger Fan or another Tiger Fan?

Thank you purple88. I am a Hopkinsville Alum and a Christian County Homer I guess you could say. I have a brother who coaches and two nephews that play at county so you could my alliance it's twisted lol. Love your posts each week!

Keyron Catlett had 22 carries for 162 yards and 6 catches for 87 yards. Actually Christian outgain Owensboro in total yards but didn't perform as expected.

Thanks Trap!

I appreciate this! I knew something just wasn't adding up with the numbers I saw.

Christian County still has a lot to play for and you never know how things will play out.

Thank you purple88. I am a Hopkinsville Alum and a Christian County Homer I guess you could say. I have a brother who coaches and two nephews that play at county so you could my alliance it's twisted lol. Love your posts each week!

This is Great Big Tiger!!! We need Christian County/Hoptown insight on this board!!

Thanks for your input!

Two observations:

Butler Co could very easily be 6-1 but they just can't seem to win the big one. They lost by 1 score to Russellville at Russellvile and had OC tied 28-28 in the 4th. Both of these are respectable loses. The real head scratcher is losing to Apollo at home. Not sure if they were looking ahead or what but lost to Apollo by 5 when I heard Apollo scored a TD on play in the 4th quarter where they had 12 guys on the field.

Butler should finish 2nd in the district and not saying they will give Mayfield a game but they will have a better showing than they did last year against them.

Butler has a lot of holes to fix .

1)Need to find a running back.hint Blake Graham BIG STRONG KID that knows how to play the position.

2)They have there best defenders in the secondary .Henderson and Graham should be D ends both are big and quick would give teams fits trying to get outside.also Hunt would have his hand in the dirt kid would be hard for any interior linemen to handle.

Butler Co could very easily be 6-1 but they just can't seem to win the big one. They lost by 1 score to Russellville at Russellvile and had OC tied 28-28 in the 4th. Both of these are respectable loses. The real head scratcher is losing to Apollo at home. Not sure if they were looking ahead or what but lost to Apollo by 5 when I heard Apollo scored a TD on play in the 4th quarter where they had 12 guys on the field.

Butler should finish 2nd in the district and not saying they will give Mayfield a game but they will have a better showing than they did last year against them.

Butler has a lot of holes to fix .

1)Need to find a running back.hint Blake Graham BIG STRONG KID that knows how to play the position.

2)They have there best defenders in the secondary .Henderson and Graham should be D ends both are big and quick would give teams fits trying to get outside.also Hunt would have his hand in the dirt kid would be hard for any interior linemen to handle.

Butler County is an interesting team for sure! And honestly, I have kinda left them off the train these last 2 weeks really inadvertently, but that was by their own doing really. As the Apollo game (similar to UK's loss to Southern Mississippi) kinda turned me off for them. But they are still a solid team.

I guess my question is are they better right now than Edmonson County (who they already beat earlier in the season, BUT just had one of the biggest upsets in the West this whole season) and Adair County? Because outside of that they aren't inside the Top 13 to me. They do deserve to be mentioned as they accomplish or under achieve still though.

Spin has some very good insight into some very constructive things that would definitely appear to to help the Bears. Will they make any adjustments? Too little, too late??? Mayfield on the horizon so it doesn't matter? I think Henderson deserves to right to go for it and go out fighting with the best chances they have to win games.