BluegrassPreps - Western Kentucky Power Ranking - 09/18/16

Purple88

BluegrassPreps 2016 Western Kentucky Power Rankings – Week 4 Edition

Concerning the top story line for this week, lightning made its presence felt across the state delaying and prematurely canceling games. While I understand the rule, I honestly feel it is time to revisit this rule to see if adjustments could be made. I am safety first as much as the next guy, but if prevailing technical science/Doppler radar can intervene with "common sense", I feel SOME modification to the rule could pay off with MANY resumptions of games that are currently canceled in a SAFE manner or played in Scott County :banana:. What about you?

Popcorn N Coke Top 10 Version – Week 4:

1. Bowling Green 5A (5-0): Win 60-0 vs 4A Warren Central

2. Mayfield 2A (5-0): Win 42-14 at 5A Graves County

3. Franklin Simpson 4A (5-0): Win 53-7 vs 2A Monroe County

4. South Warren 4A (4-1): Win 20-10 vs 6A North Hardin

5. Christian County 5A (4-1): Win 19-16 at 4A Hopkinsville

6. Greenwood 5A (4-1): Win 48-12 at 4A Logan County

7. McCracken County 6A (3-2): Loss 56-14 vs Pulaski Academy, Arkansas

8. Owensboro Catholic (4-1): Win 36-12 at 5A Owensboro Apollo

9. Hopkinsville 4A (4-1): Loss 19-16 vs 5A Christian County

10. Russellville 1A (5-0): Win 54-0 at 2A Todd County Central

Week 4 Western Kentucky Game of the Week Recap: 5A Christian County (4-1) 19 at Hopkinsville 4A (4-1) 16 – I think I was right about who should be in the Game of the Week this week, but completely wrong on what type of game it would be. These teams are known for their high flying offense and offensive players. Both have averaged nearly 40 points a game this season. Not Friday night, as both defensive squad showed up when they had to. Our good friends @chrisjung and @Solo11 reported Hopkinsville outgained Christian 329 yards to 145 yards and still lost. But tip your hat to Christian County as that’s a Big Win! Missed opportunity of Hoptown! Lot of Colonels' gear at Haddock’s Grocery Saturday morning I bet!

Week 5 Western Kentucky Game of the Week: 4A South Warren (4-1) at 4A Franklin Simpson (5-0). 4A Game of the Year? I think so between only 4A KY teams. AND District Ball is here sports fans! Games that REALLY matter, as playoff seeding implications begin taking shape. And what better way to kick it off than by having the 2 district favorites play. These team are separated by 22 miles along US 31W. But these 2 district rivals have only played in the 2015 season with South winning both of those in convincing fashion, but this is a new year with new teams. Franklin has played as well as anyone. If you’re sucking on lemons due to too much lightning or lucky passes, that’s your problem cause Franklin is very good this year. South Warren took an unexpected loss and significant injuries, but battled back like the defending champions they are. This sets up a dynamite battle come Friday night. If it weren’t my wedding anniversary, I would drive down to watch in person! Since I can’t go, I’ll leave you with this photo of the Frosty Freeze at 433 S Main in Franklin. In business for 60 years and still going! I’m sure those 2 guys in the photo are Wildcat Fans!

drive-thru-walkup.jpg

Honorable Mention: GREAT GAMES! Greenwood at Glasgow, OCATH at Butler County, Caldwell County at Paducah Tilghman, and Mayfield at Corbin

Meat & Potato’s Version Week 4 Top 10:

10) Russellville (1A) – Preseason Rank (PR): Top 15; Last Week (LW): 10 - 2016 Record 5-0; [District Record 0-0] Week 4 Results: Win: 54-0 over Poor Ole 2A Todd County Central (0-5). The past 2 teams you’ve played are 0 and 10. I am pulling for you to make it to BG this year, but should you not make it, this schedule is likely the reason IMO. Terrific offense and defense but really more of a scrimmage than game. Which approach is better: Thumping TCC by 54 or Beechwood getting shellacked by CovCath 44-10? Regardless, I see these 2 battling the day after Thanksgiving in NKY for the right to play for the 1A Championship. Week 5: Down Trending 2A Murray (1-4). When was the last time Murray was 1 and 4? ………2007

9) Hopkinsville (4A) – PR: 9; LW: 8 - 2016 Record 4-1; District Record 0-0] Week 4 Results: Loss: 19-16 vs 5A Christian County (4-1). Not sure any loss will hurt more than this one Tigers. This is your rival; kids transfer back and forth in this “free agent” age. Just think you will say “woulda, coulda, shoulda” for a long time on this one. You outgained County by 184 yards and were even in turnovers! Moving on… Week 5: BYE. Just don’t like this set up Tiger fans. Sets up complacency. Rest up and heal up and go to Haddock’s Grocery and load up on all those cupcake ingredients you’re going to be eating over the next 6 weeks!

8) Owensboro Catholic (2A) – PR: Top 15; LW: 9 - 2016 Record 4-1; [District Record 0-0] Week 4 Results: Win: 36-12 at Owensboro Apollo 5A (2-3). 4 in a row for the Aces! Dispatched a team that just went on the road and beat your biggest District Rival. OH, and by the way here they are! Week 5: In Bear Country at 2A Butler County (3-2). I just don’t think the Bears can handle the Aces but this is King Rex Henderson’s Senior Year and he will likely play his best game Friday night. If the Aces were to play Mayfield right now (WITHOUT Bright) in Owensboro, I think it’d be a tight game. LONG way to go though! Food for thought.

7) McCracken County (6A) – PR: 4; LW: 5 - 2016 Record 3-2; [District Record 0-0] Week 4 Results: Loss: 56 to 14 vs. Pulaski Academy, Arkansas (2-1). No shame in losing to a team ranked around #100 in the country, but I have to think the Mustangs wanted to show a little better on the field and scoreboard. Stats are not posted yet and maybe that’s a good thing. Just put it behind you Mustangs as that game doesn’t mean anything (but don’t give that film to the Purples – burn it!) Week 5: at Daviess County (3-2). Get Fired Up for District Ball Mustangs! This will likely be their toughest district challenge and on the road. Do the Panthers really have a chance against McCracken County? You tell me!

6). Greenwood (5A) – PR: 10; LW: 6 - 2016 Record 4-1; District Record 0-0] Week 4 Results: Win: 48-12 at Poor Ole 4A Logan County (0-5). What is football chicken soup? Any time your feelin low after a tough loss (lost last week at home 24-20 to Franklin Simpson); just schedule Logan County. It’s worked for a long time. Don’t worry Cougars, we’re pulling for you to get your first win either next week or last game of the season – Good Luck! Super talented QB Jackson Adams 160 yards on the ground and 4TDs. Solid! Week 5: In Scottie Country at Stout 2A Glasgow (4-0). Great measuring stick game for both teams! Should be the Scotties toughest challenge the rest of the year and the Gators last significant test before heading to El Donaldson Stadium for a District Showdown October 21st.

5) Christian County (5A) – PR: 5; LW: 7 - 2016 Record 4-1; [District Record 0-0] Week 4 Results: Win: 19-16 at 4A Hopkinsville (4-1). I’m sure Coach Lovelace could care less if it’s 2-0, 19-16, or 45-35 as long as he wins. Big Win for the Colonels! Catlett with 1 catch and a total of 32 yards passing on the game is not what I call lighting it up. The Colonels must find a way to improve this if they want to go deep in the playoffs. But this is September and not November so plenty of time to work through the kinks of a long season! Week 5: at surprising 5A Marshall County (4-1). The Colonels march on to open District ball on the road at a Marshall County team only beaten by the vaunted Mayfield Cardinals. Think Christian should have far too many weapons than the Marshalls can handle, but you better be ready to play. If you put up 145 total yards again, the Marshalls should be able to stay in the game.

4). South Warren (4A) – PR: 3; LW: 4 - 2016 Record 4-1; [District Record 0-0] Week 4 Results: Win: 20-10 vs 6A North Hardin (4-1). Another gritty win Spartans! I think this makes you better, especially in 4A, except for injured players as far as the eye can see. With adversity (injuries) you either face it, pull together as a team and overcome it or you just don’t. No stats ready, sorry. Week 5: Western Kentucky Game of the Week (And 4A Game of the Year) In Wildcat Country At 4A Franklin Simpson (5-0). Does the District come down to this game? The first district game? We know AC-Scottsville is capable, but likely a rung below these 2 on paper. Lot on the line this Friday night! Who actually plays this week from the walking Spartan wounded? I expect most to play. Will be a good one! Make ‘em throw Spartans; Make ‘em throw!

3) Franklin Simpson (4A) – PR: 8; LW – 3 - 2016 Record 5-0; [District Record 0-0] Week 4 Results: Win: 53-7 over 2A Monroe County (2-3). No problems this week Wildcat fans! Plenty of time to try anything you’d like to work on prior to the South Warren game. Brady and Robey carry the load in basically the first quarter and that was all that was needed. Week 5: Western Kentucky Game of the Week vs 4A South Warren (4-1) – Big Game Wildcat Fans! To Be The Man; You have to Beat The Man! Yes, the potential matchup in the playoffs is overall more important, but from a confidence standpoint this one is just as important IMO, as you can lead/win the District and dictate home field for the playoffs. Lot on the line this Friday night! Plan on all the Spartan injured to play and you won’t be surprised. If you let QB Ryder Litten beat you – shame on you. You have to put a solid spy or 2 on him ALL Night!

2) Mayfield (2A) – PR: 2; LW: 2 - 2016 Record 5-0; [District Record 0-0] - Week 4 Results: Win: 42-14 over 5A Graves County (3-2). Even with Trajan Bright out, the Cardinals roll on! According to our good friend @Cardinals44, Mayfield won the total yardage battle 455 to 248 over Graves. QB Landon Arnette rose to the occasion with fellow superstar RB Trajan Bright on the sideline. Next up: Week 5: 3A Corbin (5-0) At Lindsey Wilson College in Columbia, Kentucky. QUALITY OPPONENT, Cardinal fans! Love the idea of playing a top school from the east end of the state and meeting in the middle to play. Hope you’ve saved your gas card points for this trip CARD NATION as I know you travel as well as any team in the state! And your team will need you in this one! #1 on the Trip Advisors list for restaurants in Columbia is Circle R Drive INN (712 Russell Road – Country Cooking) or #3 is Anderson’s Pizzeria (1411 Campbellsville Road)! Good Luck!

1) Bowling Green (5A) – PR: 1; LW: 1 - 2016 Record 5-0; [District Record 0-0] Week 4 Results: Win: 60-0 over 4A Warren Central (0-5). I know most of you will find this hard to believe fans, but I was figuratively speechless after watching this game. Warren Central is a program that just 3 or 4 years ago was arguably the 2nd best program in all of 5A! JUST 3 or 4 years ago! I could not and can not believe how low Warren Central was on Friday night. These words I ran across sum up my feelings: “Envy creates such a desire for another's house that you forget to take care of your own home. Wake up, be accountable, and do your job! “. Jamale Carothers with 2 TDs before being called off in the 1st Quarter passed Blue Tisdale for 3rd place on BGs All Time Scoring List 13 points behind the GREAT Nacarius Fant! Week 5: Homecoming vs 6A Central Hardin (3-2). Good program here and Homecoming festivities cause the Purples to come out of the gate slowly, but once the faucet is turned on it’s over.

Week 2 Players of the Week: (I did not get many stats for this edition at all. So please add to the list and thank you for it!)

1) Landon Arnett – QB – Mayfield – 21-31 for 353 and 5 TDs vs 5A Graves County. I know I had Landon last week, but just seemed exemplary to me!

2) Mason Green – QB – Marshall County – 207 yards and 2 TDs vs Murray!

3) Chase Melton – QB – Adair County – 12-16 for 153 yards and 2 TDs vs Russell County.

Week 1 “Big Droppers”

Hopkinsville (4A) – Down – As our good friend @DragonFire said, “tie the turnover battle, gain 2.5x more yards, have fewer penalties, and still lose? Heck, they only punted twice!” Seriously, how does that happen! Probably won’t be challenged at all until the 2nd week of the playoffs. While you’re almost guaranteed to get there Tiger fans, you have to be nervous considering you are 1 and 1 in games that should have challenged you.

Murray (2A) – Down – I knew Murray would take a step back this year and said so in the Preseason, but did not predict a downward trend to this degree. Teams Murray have played are larger than them, but they are the same teams they’ve always played. Perhaps, the #s of the larger schools have caught up with them this year. Plus, I think Marshall County is on the upswing and a 5A school, but 42-3 is flat stomped. .

Week 1 “Big Risers”

Christian County (5A) – Up – Unfavorable stats, questionable penalties, several turnovers, sluggish offense: you know what, WHO CARES, as you beat your rival, you retain bragging rights and you move into District play on a roll! This is good because you draw the Darkhouse (Marshall County) in the toughest district in 5A right out of the gate.

Greenwood (5A) at Glasgow (2A) – Up – Both these programs have historically been very good (2009 Final 4 - Greenwood) to Championship Level (reached the 2A Championship game 3 times - Glasgow), but I think both have taken BIG strides forward this season. Greenwood beat a team (South Warren) that they have lost to by at least 35 points the past 3 years. Glasgow – I think the Jimmy’s & Joes are better (QB Dessi Austin and LB Stephen Franklin – are VERY GOOD to name 2) and Coach Garmon and staff are doing a flat out GREAT job! Who wins this game? Greenwood would be the favorite just on a 5A vs 2A standpoint, but don’t count out the Scotties especially if their DLine can hold up!

11 Thru 15

Thought we’d continue to dabble down in this neck of the woods this week!

11. Glasgow (2A) – PR: Top 15; LW: 11 – 2016 Record: 4-0: Win 34-28 against a determined Warren East squad clearly playing better now than the beginning of the season. No Stats, but look for the Scotties to be pumped for this Greenwood game as it is likely that last game of the season they enter as the underdog.

12. Owensboro (5A) – PR: 7; LW: 11 - 2016 Record 3-2; [District Record 0-0] Week 4 Results: Win: 36-6 vs 6A Daviess County (3-2). Red Devils outgain the Panthers 128 to 49 yards on the ground, but were outgained 128 to 29 in the air. Red Devils get back to .500 against local schools. The special teams must have been terrific for the Red Devils as the total yardage was pretty even in this one. Next week is a BYE week, but I would suspect Coach Fallin and company would travel to Marshall County to see 2 District foes before their District opener in Hopkinsville in 2 weeks. I’m unaware if Owensboro has significant injuries this season, but plenty of time now to heal!

13. Adair County (3A) – PR: Top 15; LW: 13 – 2016 Record: 5-0. Indians with another good win over scrappy rival 4A Russell County 50-27. Still how good are they? But is that all I got? @ACfan4 thinks so. Should be the clear favorite at home vs a very decent 1A Kentucky Country Day squad. Good luck!

14. Muhlenberg County (6A) – PR: Top 20; LW: 15. Mustangs are feeling good marching into District play after winning 42-3 at 2A Hancock County. They travel to the Land of John James Audubon to take on the winless Henderson County Colonels. Last year, Henderson beat Muhlenberg 35-12 in Greenville. I’m pickin the Stangs in this one!

15. Tie: Paducah Tilghman (3A) and Caldwell County (3A) – These District Rivals have had disappointing seasons thus far by their standards. Both played some tough teams early and came up on the short end. But I think both will be better off for it. First game of their District matchups will likely determine the District Championship. So a lot is on the line this Friday in Paducah. After reviewing the Riherd’s page this is only the 2nd meeting between these 2 after Caldwell took last year’s game 46-27. Who ya got?

Others Receiving Votes: Graves County, Allen County Scottsville, Monroe County, Metcalfe County, Edmonson County, McLean County

“Broke Their Maiden” – In horse racing, when you break your maiden, you win your first race. Well this category is for teams that don’t get as much love, but did get their first victory of the season here and I think that’s significant:

Fort Campbell beat Fort Knox 42-0 for their first win of the season. Congratulations Falcons!

THE MAGNIFICENT 7: These 7 teams remain unbeaten this season!

Team (% likely to remain undefeated all season) (biggest challengers remaining)

(In alphabetical order):

Adair County (75%) (Elizabethtown and Casey County)

Bowling Green (95%) (Greenwood and McCracken County)

Franklin Simpson (40%) (South Warren, Allen County Scottsville, and Russellville)

Glasgow (30%) (Greenwood, Elizabethtown and Metcalfe County)

Mayfield (65%) (Corbin and Caldwell County)

Muhlenberg County (25%) (McCracken County, Daviess County)

Russellville (50%) (Franklin Simpson)

THE MODEST 7: These 7 teams remain winless on the season!

Team (% likely to get a win this season) (best chance at a win remaining)

(In alphabetical order):

Barren County (50%) (Warren East, Grayson County, Edmonson County)

Caverna (30%) (Fort Knox)

Fulton County (10%) (Merge with Fulton City, Lottery, Alchemy, Anything - Go Pilots!)

Henderson County (60%) (Ohio County, Muhlenberg County, Daviess County)

Logan County (40%) (Hopkins County Central and Todd County Central)

Todd County Central (40%) (Logan County)

Warren Central (10%) (Warren East)

I bet you all the money you want that the stangs don't beat Henderson this week.

They don't play stangs have a bye cols play Ohio. Lol

Cols, you are right they don't play this week. Those dates started crossing for me obviously. Best of luck to the Colonels this week! I hope they get their first win against Ohio County and look to make it 2 in a row against Muhlenberg. I just think the Muhlenberg story is a good one and cheer for the long time underdog when I can.

Thank you for putting this together each week :thumb:

No biggie, but Caldwell and Tilghman have actually met 17 times, with Tilghman leading the all-time series 12-4-1. However, last year was their first meeting since 1973, which was Caldwell's last trip to Tilghman.

Caldwell-Tilghman should be the best 2-3 team vs. 1-4 team game in the state this week! :)

Hoptown would have won except for the 3 terrible call that were not called

Must be talking about the numerous high low blocks against County defenders that weren't called, or the number of times Hoptown had linemen down field, or the fact the WR's kept covering each other up only to go out for a pass...IJS Hoptown loss. Maybe it's because Hoptown gave up a 95 yd kick return for a TD then rufused to kick the ball deep and instead chose to kick the ball out of bounds...field position is critical in a tight game...

Purple88 i dont think you are the first to spy on Litten ! but you may not have to injuries are everywhere on this team old ones and new ones .as many as 10 could not see the field .

Spin,

You are right, I am not the first, but I'm not talking about a conventional spy, I'm talking about something different like a zone read type spy. You put the typical Middle LB as a spy and he doesn't have a chance to stay with Litten. To change things substantially, YOU have to change from what others expect you to do!

I truly hate all injuries! But expect whomever is on the field for South to play as hard as they can till the end. That's all you can do!

Thank you for putting this together each week :thumb:

No biggie, but Caldwell and Tilghman have actually met 17 times, with Tilghman leading the all-time series 12-4-1. However, last year was their first meeting since 1973, which was Caldwell's last trip to Tilghman.

Caldwell-Tilghman should be the best 2-3 team vs. 1-4 team game in the state this week! :)

Ptown, I love stuff like this! Thanks for sharing this.

I realize it would be a HUGE undertaking, but I wish there was a way to extend the riherd's page back further in time. I suppose you could only do it school by school though.

Concerning your information, the thing that stuck out to me was that Caldwell only has 4 wins out of 17. But I do know Tilghman has been a powerhouse in the past. Should be a great game!

Are you going to the game Ptown?