BluegrassPreps - Western Kentucky Power Ranking - 09/11/16

Purple88

BluegrassPreps 2016 Western Kentucky Power Rankings – Week 3 Edition

Concerning the top story line for this week, it is that time in the season where I admit I am pretty dog-gone long-winded on these rankings and I realize folks have very busy lives and don’t have time every week to get through all the items listed in this thread, so we’ll audible formations into a “Popcorn N Coke Version” and “Meat & Potato’s Version” so you can get what you want and move on in the time available to you.

Popcorn N Coke Top 10 Version – Week 3:

1. Bowling Green 5A (4-0): Win 47-0 vs 5A Owensboro

2. Mayfield 2A (4-0): Win 46-41 at 6A McCracken County

3. Franklin Simpson 4A (4-0): Win 24-20 at 5A Greenwood

4. South Warren 4A (3-1): Win 27-20 OT at 6A Central Hardin

5. McCracken County 6A (3-1): Loss 46-41 vs 2A Mayfield

6. Greenwood 5A (3-1): Loss 24-20 vs 4A Franklin Simpson

7. Christian County 5A (3-1): Win 44-3 at 3A Fort Campbell

8. Hopkinsville 4A (4-0): Win 43-7 vs 2A Murray

9. Owensboro Catholic (3-1): Win 51-21 at South Spencer, Indiana

10. Russellville 1A (4-0): Win 54-14 at 4A Logan County

Week 3 PurpleHaze Western Kentucky Game of the Week Recap: 2A Mayfield (4-0) 46 at 6A McCracken County (3-1) 41 – The Mayfield Cardinals came to Paducah Friday night ready to play football; roaring to a 25-0 lead – Hitting on all cylinders; running the ball and Landon Arnett outstandingly passing the ball. McCracken County on the other hand just couldn’t get traction early and with a reported 138 yards in penalties on the night is not a good characteristic on how to beat Mayfield. But give the Mustangs credit for not quitting and as the humid night wore on, the Mustangs did mount an impressive comeback. One of the most consistent rivalries I know of if you just look at the scores. As we expected another terrific game!

Week 4 Western Kentucky Game of the Week: 5A Christian County (3-1) at 4A Hopkinsville (4-0). Well the hits keep on coming in regards to the Games of the Week. I’ve been looking forward to this one ever since I saw the schedules. Not much meat on the bone for Hopkinsville after this game, so I’d say they come in ready to play. And I’m sure Christian doesn’t need any motivation to be ready for this one either. As much as the Purchase Area was looking forward to the Mayfield v McCracken County game; the entire central core of the Western part of the State has had this grudge match circled heck every single year. Think it doesn’t matter? Just go over to Haddock’s grocery on E 9th this Saturday and see if the winning team isn’t represented well in gear worn by their patrons. I loved this old photo of Haddock’s from the Kentucky New’s Era archives that I just had to share! The game should be a great one! Haddocks Grocery.jpg

Honorable Mention: Mayfield at Graves County and North Hardin at South Warren.

Meat & Potato’s Version Week 3 Top 10:

10) Russellville (1A) – Preseason Rank (PR): Top 15; Last Week (LW): 10 - 2016 Record 4-0; [District Record 0-0] Week 3 Results: Win: 54-14 over 4A Logan County (0-4). The Panthers appear to have called off the dogs early in this one as they were very balanced this week with 108 rushing yards and a surprising 123 pass yards. MJ Jones had 3 carries for 85 yards and a TD. QB Jaylan McMurray was 4 for 4 passing for 100 yards and 2 TDs. Good time for the Panthers to practice passing for later on in the year. Logan, I thought you’d have a chance in 2 weeks v Hopkins County Central, but they are playing really well this year. Think @Racer89 was correct in thinking their real shot might be Todd County Central at the end of the year. Week 4: At Hapless 2A Todd County Central (0-4).

9) Owensboro Catholic (2A) – PR: Top 15; LW: 9 - 2016 Record 3-1; [District Record 0-0] Week 3 Results: Win: 51-21 over South Spencer, Indiana (1-3). Momentum is a great thing especially in High School Football. I just get the feeling the Aces are running downhill right now! Stats or discussion for the ACES this week are few and far between, but I bet our good friend @Rambo4343 can give us a breakdown below. Coach Edge has this team moving in the right direction! Way to represent the state ACES! Week 4: At Cross-town Rival 5A Owensboro Apollo (2-2). This sets up to be an interesting game, where just last week I didn’t think it would. The Eagles pulled off a really nice upset IMO by stopping King Rex in Butler County 33-29. Was it a hangover from the Russellville game for Butler County or are the Eagles putting the pieces together? I’d say we’ll find out Friday night.

8) Hopkinsville (4A) – PR: 9; LW: 8 - 2016 Record 4-0; District Record 0-0] Week 3 Results: Win: 43-7 over Murray 2A (1-3). Murray really struggling this year. They travel to Marshall County next week before 2 unwinnable games (Russellville and Mayfield) for them. Setting up for a long season for the Murray Tigers. Hopkinsville has it in cruise control. Our good friend @DragonFire reports the Tigers haven’t scored less than 41 points in any game this season. How about this week? Week 4: Western Kentucky Game of the Week: vs 5A Christian County (3-1) at the Stadium of Champions in Hopkinsville. I would say this will be a shootout with who has the ball last winning?

7) Christian County (5A) – PR: 5; LW: 7 - 2016 Record 3-1; [District Record 0-0] Week 3 Results: Win: 44-3 at 3A Fort Campbell (0-4). Well Falcons the schedule eases up considerably and you’ve earned it. Good luck the rest of this season! The Colonels did exactly what they needed to do going into a big game – take care of business early and no injuries I’m aware of. Coach Lovelace could have ordered many more points, but called the dogs off. Now they focus on a really big one! Week 4: Western Kentucky Game of the Week: at 4A Hopkinsville (4-0) at the Stadium of Champions in Hopkinsville. Since the 1997 Season, Christian County leads the series with Hoptown 11-7 with 11 of those games decided within 2 TDs. Get to your seat early for this one sports fans! I’m predicting an OT game!

6). Greenwood (5A) – PR: 10; LW: 5 - 2016 Record 3-1; District Record 0-0] Week 3 Results: Loss: 24-20 vs 4A Franklin Simpson (4-0). Up to the mountain top one week and knocked off your horse the next; such is life in a challenging High School Football season! Jackson Adams leads the Gators again this week with 124 yards on the ground on 14 carries and 1 TD. The Gators as a team gained 250 yards rushing and 33 in the air. RB Willie Reynolds did not dress for this game and according to Twitter accounts has left the Greenwood program. If this is the case, I am truly sad for it and hope only the best for Mr. Reynolds. No shame in losing to this Franklin team. I think @macdon and I could help in your game next week v Logan County, but I’m really interested in your September 23 road trip to a really good 2A Glasgow Scottie Team! Week 4: at Poor Ole” 4A Logan County (0-4). Is it time for just a JV season or 2 and then hit the reset button? Probably not that easy to do, but the losses hit like body blows now.

5) McCracken County (6A) – PR: 4; LW: 3 - 2016 Record 3-1; [District Record 0-0] PurpleHaze Western Kentucky Game of the Week - Week 3 Results: Loss: 46 to 41 vs. 2A Mayfield (4-0). No shame in losing to the Moniker Busters aka. Mayfield Cardinals! Seemed from afar that it took the Mustangs awhile to get into the game, likely due to a hard charging Cardinal squad. By the time Superstar Trajan Bright was knocked out of the game most would say the game was heading closer to a running clock (at 25 to 0) than a 5 point game. But give the Mustangs credit as they did not give up and kept coming and made big plays late in the game. Cash Jones played well, but Mayfield made him earn every yard going 18-34 for 247 yards and 3 TDs. Ethan Schaaf and Abijah Williams each had 10 tackles for the Mustang D. That’s big as both are listed as offensive players on the riherd’s roster page! Week 4: vs Pulaski Academy, Arkansas (1-1). The Pulaski Academy Bruins are an interesting bunch. They opened the season with a 56-21 win against Page High School in Sand Spring Oklahoma. Last week they traveled to Salt Lake City, Utah with $100 bills fallin out of their pockets and lost to East High School 37-23. They now head to Paducah to try and lasso the Mustangs. They are ranked #4 in Arkansas and #151 in the Nation according to MaxPreps. I think I can solidly say I am really pulling for McCracken to right the ship by sending the Bruins back to Arkansas with a losing record. Go Mustangs!

4). South Warren (4A) – PR: 3; LW: 6 - 2016 Record 3-1; [District Record 0-0] Week 3 Results: Win: 27-20 OT at 6A Central Hardin (3-1). Nice rebound Spartans! I will argue that this is the best win for you in 2 seasons not counting the State Championship Game. Mostly because you were punched in the mouth at Greenwood and were really tested in this game. Several of your better players still played likely not 100% and you had to go into OT to get the win against a larger opponent. One thing is for sure, is that your defense is playing well and you still have Ryder Litten and Kayron Namvong on offense. Formidable squad! Week 4: vs 6A North Hardin (4-0). The Hardin County slug-fest continues for the Spartans. Can the Spartans get more troops healed by this Friday? I like South big in this game. Which leads us to a BIG game on the 23rd just down the road at Franklin-Simpson!

3) Franklin Simpson (4A) – PR: 8; LW – 4 - 2016 Record 4-0; [District Record 0-0] Week 3 Results: Win: 24-20 over 5A Greenwood (3-1). Congratulations @coachpreston and the Wildcats for a terrific road win! According to our good friend @FSfan, Franklin Simpson is 4 and 0 for the first time since 1994! According to our good friend @macdon, RB Saul Brady and QB Jackson Caudill carried most of the load for the Wildcats offense. Also according to our good friend @FSWILDCATFAN on his first post notes ILB Cade Harvey had a big game for the Wildcat D. Finally a BIG shout out to my favorite kicker in the West Ms Maddie Alexander who was perfect on XPs and kicked a BIG 26 yard FG! BIG points! I stopped and looked over the Wildcats season schedule and it is one of the absolute best I have seen taking where their team is and providing challenging games and incorporating confidence building games around them and your challenging district games! At #3, you’ve gained 5 spots and lead all clubs in your ascent up these Power Rankings! Week 4: vs 2A Monroe County (2-2) – There’s a BIG Game on the Horizon!!! Get Ready Wildcat Fans – District Ball is coming!

2) Mayfield (2A) – PR: 2; LW: 2 - 2016 Record 4-0; [District Record 0-0] PurpleHaze Western Kentucky Game of the Week - Week 3 Results: Win: 46-41 over 6A McCracken County (3-1). Were the Cardinals ready or were the Cardinals ready! WOW! Racing to a 25-0 lead! The game likely changed when ultra-talented RB Trajan Bright went out mid-2nd Quarter with a dislocated elbow. First and foremost, hope the young man makes it back on the field very soon! Prior to this, the game was lop-sided. But the Mustangs didn’t quit to their credit and battled back in the heat and made a game of it. Thankfully for the Cardinals, Landon Arnett and company showed up and continued to gobble up 408 yards in offense. Interesting accompanying stat is that McCracken had 410 yards on the game. Pretty darn close! I’d think Coach Morris has a tough call next week from the standpoint of do I play Trajan Bright or not. He will say he’s fine, but do you chance it against a physical Graves County club? You tell me Cardinal fans. Next up: Week 4: At 5A Cross-Block Rival (they are pretty close to each other from a location standpoint if I’m not mistaken) Graves County 5A (3-1). The Eagles are on a bit of a roll after stalling against Hoptown the first game of the year, but think Mayfield is just too sound a club honestly.

1) Bowling Green (5A) – PR: 1; LW: 1 - 2016 Record 4-0; [District Record 0-0] Week 3 Results: Win: 47-0 over 5A Owensboro (2-2). Purple fans, BG had 10 penalties, 1 missed field goal and their first INT on the year. Other than that I can’t find 1 negative. Owensboro was in the game and fought very hard in a 1st quarter, which ended 7-0 BG. O had the ball at about their 30 to start the 2nd quarter. Vito Tisdale broke off his man, cut under the slot receiver, stabbed the ball and made one well timed cut and basically took his Pick 6 untouched to make it 14-0 and the Purples never looked back. Make no mistake, BG beat a good ball club. Owensboro has good athletes. This marks the first shutout for O since the Purples game back in 2011. Sitting in the stands, I found myself thinking it may not have been one of Clark Payne’s best games, but the young man was almost 65% on his passes for 334 yards and 2 TDs. The defense played lights out. Dalen Cofer is a force. He will be very difficult to replace next season. Outstanding effort! The schedule softens for the Purples and a chance to get some injuries healed and likely some of the younger guys some time against the other teams starters. I really feel this is a key advantage BG has built over most teams. When BG is up (running clock) they get their #2s and #3s in (last night had #4 RB in due to injuries) for valuable series against mostly other teams 1s. They don’t care if they get scored on as it gives the coaches great film to teach the younger Purples with. Week 4: At Old Foe 4A Warren Central (0-4). Much has been said about the Dragons on BGP recently. I value this rivalry and respect the heck out of the effort of every single kid wearing a Central Uniform this year. This is their “Unforgetables” Team.

Week 3 Players of the Week: (First, thanks to our good friend @Nathaniel Bryan for scouring the state to provide some of this information; Second, I am going to pick different guys for this list to try and provide more hardworking young men a chance to get highlighted than to keep going to the same ones over and over. Third, I do not get all the stats by the time this edition goes out, so please add to the list and thank you for it!)

1) Desi Austin – QB – Glasgow – 17-26 for 228 and 3 TDs – Ben Hughes WR caught 7 passes for 108 yards and 2 TDs vs Allen County-Scottsville!

2) Adam Bouchard – QB – Daviess County – 11-20 for 250 yards and 3 TDs – Marquel Tinsley caught 3 of those TDs vs Hancock County!

3) Landon Arnett – QB – Mayfield – 19-33 for 254 yards and 2 TDs vs McCracken County.

4) Dalton Ferrell – QB – Paducah Tilghman – 17-26 279 yards and 4 TDs vs Graves County.

Week 3 “Big Droppers”

Butler County (2A) – Down – Hard to find anything wrong with King Rex Henderson as the young man gives everything he’s got for his team, but this week’s home loss to a less than stellar, but dangerous Owensboro Apollo team leaves me thinking this team cannot defeat Owensboro Catholic this year at any point. I could be wrong, but the King will certainly need more from his troops than last Friday night’s showing to handle the Aces.

McCracken County (6A) – Down – I struggled with this pick, but ultimately came down to a team that needs to have aspirations to eventually play with the big boys of Jefferson County. In order to do that, you need to be ready to play games like Mayfield. Coming out of the game 0 to 25 didn’t show that to me and therefore you are here in this category. Still MUCH to play for, but a renewed focus will be necessary as district battles are right around the corner.

Week 3 “Big Risers”

Franklin Simpson (4A) – Up – No one has risen as much as the Wildcats this season. On the road at arguably one of the hottest 5A schools in the state (with some inner issues, which isn’t your problem), and go down 3 points with several minutes to go in the 4th quarter. Then mount the best drive of the season. BIG! Season changing BIG! As we approach district play is anyone hotter in 4A than Franklin Simpson? You tell me.

Glasgow (2A) – Up – Coach Jeff Garmon Sr has a fine football team. His Scotties battled tooth and nail with a gritty 4A Allen County Scottsville club and came out on top. QB Dessi Austin is one of the best QBs in the state no one knows about. Big Win!

11 Thru 15

Thought we’d start to dabble down in this neck of the woods a bit this week!

11. Glasgow (2A) – PR: Top 15; LW: 12 – 2016 Record: 3-0 Due to cancellation of Casey County Game. Battled AC-Scottsville for the win last week and keep the momentum rolling. Now comes a tough test next week as they travel to North Bowling Green to face the Warren East Raiders (1-3) fresh off their first win of the year against Edmonson County.

12. Owensboro (5A) – PR: 7; LW: 11 - 2016 Record 2-2; [District Record 0-0] Week 3 Results: Loss: 47-0 vs 5A Bowling Green (4-0). Just wasn’t meant to be Red Devils. I thought you played really well in that first quarter and honestly your defense did play very well. I look for that to continue. On offense though it is a work in progress when you met a team that won’t get blown off the ball by your huge Oline. Board is good but BG keyed on him most of the night. Got to see Imonte Owsley play a few plays! I see the quickness. Next year is his breakout year. I’m not sure what to tell you about the passing game, but it must get better to get people out of the box to help the running game. Plenty to play for still Red Devils. I’d say Daviess County gets pounded next week BIG!

13. Adair County (3A) – PR: Top 15; LW: 13 – 2016 Record: 4-0. Indians with a good win over a scrappy 2A Metcalfe County squad. But how good are they? They play rival 4A Russell County (2-2) next week. Good luck!

14. Graves County (5A) – PR: Top 15; LW: 14. Exciting win 43-42 vs Paducah Tilghman, but sounds like a lot of disagreement in the threads. I won’t go into that or discount the win. Survive and advance Eagles! Next week vs Mayfield. You will jump high if you can get this one!

15. Muhlenberg County (6A) - PR: Top 20; LW: Top 20. 4 and 0 Sports Fans! The Mustangs haven’t been 4 and 0 since before 2009 (the limit of the riherds database for them). Great story when a program that has taken a LOT of losses in the past 5 or 6 years starts to build a program. Way to go Mustangs! Beat previously undefeated McLean County 34-32 and now head to Lewisport hotter than a $3 bill ready to battle the Hornets of Hancock County!

Others Receiving Votes: Allen County Scottsville, Monroe County, Caldwell County, Metcalfe County, Edmonson County, McLean County

Edited by Purple88
gremlins

Another great job!!

Thanks Fast!

Saw in a nearby thread that you project other teams can't put 8 in the box anymore. I assume that is due to the Franklin passing game/threat. How In your option has Franklin modified their passing attack this year?

Thanks Fast!

Saw in a nearby thread that you project other teams can't put 8 in the box anymore. I assume that is due to the Franklin passing game/threat. How In your option has Franklin modified their passing attack this year?

88: I was fortunate to able to see their game with GW Friday night. I've watched this team for a couple of years now and I really like them.

How has there game progressed.

Greenwood game for instance, the two minute offense is what took them over the top. FS has some skilled receivers and with a little more work on their timing these guys will be scary. You have to respect their run game with Brady, Robey. Brady went crazy against a strong GW defense and if he hadn't Robey would have, but now if you put 8 in the box to stop them they will line up as receivers and catch a pass that your not expecting. Tay Jones and Hunter Janes are some skilled receivers that never quit.... (GW game for instances) they are in the right place at the right time. If that's not enough they will line up to pass and if the receivers are covered Jackson Caudill will take off for 20 yards. They can do that now because of the beef up front.

Cole Kirby, Jordan Bass, Nick Hudson, Mitch Estes, Dillion Wallace don't like it when you hit their little buddies.

88 FS is for real this year.

88: I was fortunate to able to see their game with GW Friday night. I've watched this team for a couple of years now and I really like them.

How has there game progressed.

Greenwood game for instance, the two minute offense is what took them over the top. FS has some skilled receivers and with a little more work on their timing these guys will be scary. You have to respect their run game with Brady, Robey. Brady went crazy against a strong GW defense and if he hadn't Robey would have, but now if you put 8 in the box to stop them they will line up as receivers and catch a pass that your not expecting. Tay Jones and Hunter Janes are some skilled receivers that never quit.... (GW game for instances) they are in the right place at the right time. If that's not enough they will line up to pass and if the receivers are covered Jackson Caudill will take off for 20 yards. They can do that now because of the beef up front.

Cole Kirby, Jordan Bass, Nick Hudson, Mitch Estes, Dillion Wallace don't like it when you hit their little buddies.

88 FS is for real this year.

Fast, I believe that. I don't honestly know if I believed it at the first of the year because I really didn't have a good feel for the team 1 way or the other. But to go to Caldwell and win (yes half game and etc., but you won) and to go to Greenwood at their zenith and win when you came back and had to have a drive to win and got it. That is really big to me.

Now looking toward the South Warren game, the info you mentioned above is the type of modifications that can challenge a still very good South defense. You HAVE to give them more to worry about than the run game or it's over. Will be a great one in Franklin on the 23rd.