The Very Late Louisville Area Power Rankings

Bert

My apologies on the tardiness of this report. A family member having a heart procedure threw my week into a loop. But, here it is

Thanks to our Sponsor WBKI TV Louisville The CW. Get in the game with Game On WBKI Saturdays @ 8p.

Tv station: WBKI TV

Twitter: @ItsGame_On

WBKI Game On.jpg

1. Trinity – Trinity rocked Lexington power Lafayette to hold on to the number one spot. Next week Trinity takes on the #2 defending State Champions, the Male Bulldogs. While Male has beaten Trinity four straight the last four meetings, those in the know have to believe Trinity enters this game as the favorite. Trinity versus Male will be the feature game of the week.

2. Male – As assumed, the Bulldogs of Fairdale didn’t provide much of a fight for the Bulldogs of Male. Next week is a game that has probably been in the back of the players mind since the preseason. They have had Trinity’s number in the recent years but they have to understand they are up against a different team of Shamrocks this year.

3. Dupont Manual – After an unexciting win over Seneca, Manual will have to earn their new #3 position against the impressive Ballard Bruins. Manual will be favored but should be a close game that is not guaranteed for the Crimsons. A few weeks later, Manual will really be tested as the #3 as they visit the former #3, St. X.

4. St. Xavier – St. X’s thumping of Bowling Green last year gave the Tigers hope for another victory but the Purples are just too powerful this season. Due to the strength of Bowling Green, X will only drop one. In all fairness to X, the Purples would pound just about anyone in KY who isn’t Trinity.

5. Central Hardin – Central Hardin knocks off Bullitt East 50-19 and earns their ascension to #5. Next week and the following are a little more of a challenge as Central will face South Warren and John Hardin respectively.

6. Louisville Christian Academy – Nice win for the Centurions over formerly ranked Central. The next two weeks should be easier for LCA playing Oldham County and North Oldham.

7. Pleasure Ridge Park – Dominating performance by the Panthers over Doss 45-7. The rest of the season will be brutal: John Hardin, Trinity, St. Xavier, Male, Butler, Manual and Central. I can’t imagine any other team in the state will have as difficult of a path in the regular season.

8. Fern Creek – Easy win over Moore. Next week will be Butler which should be a little tougher test for the Tigers.

9. Ballard – Great win for Ballard over DeSales. This victory surges the Bruins into the Rankings. Next week will be Western in what should be an easy victory leading to a great matchup with Manual.

10. St. Francis DeSales – Heartbreaker of a loss for DeSales against Ballard who had been playing so well so far in the season. Next week DeSales refocuses on fellow Catholic Southend school, Holy Cross.

Honorable Mention – these are the teams that just missed the Top Ten and are positioned to step up when those ranked stumble and fall out of the rankings

North Hardin – I hate dropping a team that wins but Ballard’s victory over DeSales justified their bump up.

South Oldham – South Oldham keeps winning but against very weak opponents keeping South just out of the rankings

John Hardin – John Hardin gets back to winning by stomping Warren Central but Warren Central is not much completion so John Hardin still hangs on by a thread. To make a run for the rankings again, they face stronger opponents in PRP, Central Hardin and Meade County consecutively.

Team on the Rise – The Ballard Bruins take the award with a solid win over always strong DeSales.

Team on the Decline – I hate to brand Central the team on the decline but the back to back losses and dropping out of the rankings make the Yellow Jackets the best candidate.

Featured Game of the WeekTrinity Versus Male

Nobody is going to beat T. I hate saying that cause I wasn't everyone to beat them. CH does deserve that spot and S Old deserves top 10. Better add Collins and Shelby Co. to list of teams to watch.

Whether a team deserves to be in the Top 10 of a group like this can't solely be based on record. Must look at the quality of their wins...

Can't disagree about South Oldham being deserving, but they just haven't had a win over a quality opponent in the category of the teams ranked (I'd have said the win vs. Doss did that, but then PRP dismantled Doss so the win over Doss lost some luster).

Shelby's loss against Garrard in game one then two blowout wins against winless teams doesn't merit them getting mention (yet) either.

I think Collins has a good team again, but they have two relatively close wins against very average teams (Eastern and Bullitt East) who were both blown out in games against teams in the top 10.

Every year around Louisville there are usually 3 distinct tiers: a top tier with usually 2 or 3 teams--1 of whom will likely win it all, a 2nd tier that is at the level of the top teams in the other classes, and a big gap between the 2nd tier and the next group down -- those are teams that wouldn't beat the best of 5A, 4A, 3A, (and even this year, 2A). To me, the only teams mentioned in any Top 10 should be those in the top TWO tiers (and by the way, I think South Oldham, Shelby, and Collins are good enough teams to eventually be in tier 2, but nothing about their resume so far bears that out).

I can understand some points about a teams resume. My question off of that point would be -- what is it about Fern Creeks resume that makes them top ten? Two easy wins against not very good teams and getting shut out vs Manual. What makes them better than North Hardin using that standard?

I can understand some points about a teams resume. My question off of that point would be -- what is it about Fern Creeks resume that makes them top ten? Two easy wins against not very good teams and getting shut out vs Manual. What makes them better than North Hardin using that standard?

I think you make a really good point.

Rationale is probably that FC ended up going much farther last year (state semi-finals compared to NH blowout loss in 2nd round), so their initial ranking was higher. Couple that with their one loss being to a team ranked in the top 4 (Manual) and I think that's why they started out much higher which would then lead to them still being higher than an initially-unranked NH.

Just the nature of early season polls (and why I don't even think there should be a pre-season poll in any sport -- teams are almost always "new teams" compared to what they were the year before).

I think you make a really good point.

Rationale is probably that FC ended up going much farther last year (state semi-finals compared to NH blowout loss in 2nd round), so their initial ranking was higher. Couple that with their one loss being to a team ranked in the top 4 (Manual) and I think that's why they started out much higher which would then lead to them still being higher than an initially-unranked NH.

Just the nature of early season polls (and why I don't even think there should be a pre-season poll in any sport -- teams are almost always "new teams" compared to what they were the year before).

I agree with you about pre-season polls -- they should not mean a thing. Last year was last year and in HS ball lots of things change. The thing about Fern Creek is only 74 yds total offense vs Manual. Central put up 20 points on Manual. Don't know much about the rest of FC's schedule and how much they will be challenged but that is the one school to me that is a head scratcher. Without Kinslow how much of a passing game do they have vs good competition? Are they one dimensional? TIme will tell.

I agree...North beat a good (don't let Caldwell's record fool you, they've played 3 solid ballclubs) Caldwell team that was ranked #4 in 3a (that I think would beat DeSales) and is still top 6, and a solid John Hardin squad. Not sure how Ballard beating a good 2a school warrants them or DeSales being above NH. Not sold on Central Hardin, CAL, PRP, or Creek above NH, either. But all will be settled over the next few weeks as DeSales hosts NH and CH & NH play for district seeding. Those will be 2 great games to watch on paper. Wish I could see those! Being in NKY has some great games for me to watch also, though!