Skipping school for games and tournaments

Is this becoming the norm for top tier teams/clubs in all sports? Are sports now more important than an education? My child's team is being sent to a tournament 9 hours away during the school year, and when questioned, the response is that the older kids just skip school. I refuse to take my kid out of school for a non-school affiliated event.

Don't high schools now have rules against missing school for games?

Really, how many days are missed for the HS basketball tournament, now the football finals, wrestling now only misses one school day.

To answer your question yes many schools do have rules that say that, and every year they get broken for this and that.

Parents pull kids out of school for vacations all the time. I have no real issue with a kid missing a day or two for a sports event. I've only pulled my kids once for a non school sports event, which was when my youngest went to a national wrestling tournament back in middle school, although he may be going to another national event this year.

Is this becoming the norm for top tier teams/clubs in all sports? Are sports now more important than an education? My child's team is being sent to a tournament 9 hours away during the school year, and when questioned, the response is that the older kids just skip school. I refuse to take my kid out of school for a non-school affiliated event.

If that's how you feel then more power to you. You are more then welcome to die on that hill if you so choose.

I get your thinking. However, you may find that there are valid reasons to take your kid out of school for a day. You and your bride will get to make that decision. I do believe parents can expand their child's world even if it means they miss class. Each student is different and blanket rules are tough. The younger the child the easier IMO for it is to miss class for some sort of activity - sports or educational.

I get your thinking. However, you may find that there are valid reasons to take your kid out of school for a day. You and your bride will get to make that decision. I do believe parents can expand their child's world even if it means they miss class. Each student is different and blanket rules are tough. The younger the child the easier IMO for it is to miss class for some sort of activity - sports or educational.

I guess it goes along with how I was raised. The only time you skipped school was if you were sick or there was a death in the family. There were no vacations during the school year as that was what summer break was for. I know many others on the team share the same feelings, but I didn't realize how much of a norm it is anymore. I was talking to a guy yesterday, and his buddy's son missed around 40 days of school last year for baseball tournaments.

I guess it goes along with how I was raised. The only time you skipped school was if you were sick or there was a death in the family. There were no vacations during the school year as that was what summer break was for. I know many others on the team share the same feelings, but I didn't realize how much of a norm it is anymore. I was talking to a guy yesterday, and his buddy's son missed around 40 days of school last year for baseball tournaments.

That's not something I'd be on board with. A couple days...no problem. 40 days...no way.

What? Yikes.

I'd also this of your situation: 9 hours away?

That's not something I'd be on board with. A couple days...no problem. 40 days...no way.

I would agree with you, but two years ago I had a kid that missed 50+ days a of school from August to December. Not for athletics or anything, thats just what he missed.

Honestly all depends on the kid and the parents. If the kid can keep up with school work and the athletic parts, and has parent support on that, Im all for it.

40 is extreme though, but I can see it as well.