BluegrassPreps - Western Kentucky Power Ranking - 09/04/16

Purple88

BluegrassPreps 2016 Western Kentucky Power Rankings – Week 2 Edition

WHOA NELLIE!!! GOODBYE WEATHER – HELLO UPSETS!!! If you went camping this weekend, it was great from a weather perspective, but boy did you miss some great high school football. The biggest upsets in the state were in our neck of the woods and when I started to put these rankings together, (after #3) I almost had to play 52-card pickup and see where they landed. Let’s get to it!

AROUND THE STATE: Besides getting smoked by West Virginia 2-0, we schooled Ohio, Indiana and Virginia by a combined 7-1 record. Kentucky schools are doing really well this year against our neighboring states!

Week 2 Western Kentucky Game of the Week Recap: Well I got this one right as being the Game of the Week, as most of the State was peeking in to see our good friend @jcarter broadcast the final half of this game! Nice work JC!

South Warren 4A (2-1) 16 at Greenwood 5A (3-0) 17: First a quick shout out to our good friend @krokinbullfrog who was the only frog in the pond big enough to officially call this upset. Greenwood raced out to a 17-0 lead and held off a ferocious comeback attempt by a banged up Spartan club that choose to go for the 2 point conversion and the win instead of tying it up and going to OT. Gutsy, but obviously a double-edge sword. Great football game.

It is the Week 2 Edition and that means BG plays Owensboro. It is here that I feel compelled to remember a departed BGP Member. The game of the week this week will be known as the PurpleHaze Western Kentucky Game of the Week. I know of no other, who combined a love for playing the game, researching the history of the game and supporting all others who do the same as Michael “Bulldog” Drake (aka. PurpleHaze). He was a friend to BGP and to so many on this site and the entire Western part of the State.

Week 3 PurpleHaze Western Kentucky Game of the Week: Thanks to the Owensboro Catholic Aces (WOW – we’ll get to them below!) the BG vs Owensboro contest is not the best game in the west (probably the 3rd best actually) this week. That honor will to 2A Mayfield (3-0) at 6A McCracken County (3-0). This has become a real rivalry over in the Purchase Area. The 2016 season represents only the 4th varsity season for McCracken County, so they have played the Mayfield Cardinals 3 times, losing the inaugural game in 2014 by 1 point and winning the past 2 seasons by a total of 7 points and both in overtime. WOW! It will be hard to top that, but deserves to be this week’s game of the week!

Honorable Mention: Franklin-Simpson at Greenwood, Bowling Green at Owensboro and Allen County Scottsville at Glasgow.

Week 2 Top 10:

10) Russellville (1A) – Preseason Rank (PR): Top 15; Last Week (LW): 10 - 2016 Record 3-0; [District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Win: 50-42 shootout over 2A Butler County (2-1). The Panther rolled up 482 yards rushing with 3 guys over 100 yards and 6 TDs! Russellville only had 24 yards passing. King Rex Henderson accounted for ALL 6 of Butler County’s 6 TDs; rushing for 3 and passing for 3. But a King needs a court if he’s going a long way. Probably isn’t there. But the Panthers are playing very well right now. The Franklin-Simpson game will be really interesting. Week 3: At Hapless Cross-Town “Rival” 4A Logan County (0-3).

9) Owensboro Catholic (2A) – PR: Top 15; LW: Top 15 - 2016 Record 2-1; [District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Win: 34-29 over 5A Owensboro (2-1). WELCOME TO THE TOP 10 ACES! Boy when you make a splash, you really make one! OCATH is now 3 and 3 against the vaunted Red Devils in the last 6 games vs Owensboro with only the 2013 43-0 Red Devil win by a blowout. So yes this game is surprising, but give the Aces credit where it is due as they are always ready to play their cross-town rival. Thanks to our good friend @Nathaniel Bryan, who reports O Star Landon Board had 268 yards rushing and 2 TDs. For the Aces, QB Will Warren was huge with 17 for 26 and 159 yards and 4 TDs on the night. Stout RB Vonn Miller had 195 hard earned yards as well. HUGE WIN ACES! Congratulations! Now go represent the state: Week 3: At South Spencer, IN (1-2).

8) Hopkinsville (4A) – PR: 9; LW: 8 - 2016 Record 3-0; District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Win: 41-0 over Fort Campbell (0-3). This game was played as part of the Superior Truck Beds & Equipment – David Sadler Bowl. When the name of the bowl game is more interesting than the game itself, you know you’re in trouble. Bless their hearts, the Falcons go to the next whipping post against Christian County next week. Jalen Johnson continues his strong season passing 5 more TDs. Week 3: Home vs 2A Murray (1-2). Is it September 16 yet?

7) Christian County (5A) – PR: 5; LW: 7 - 2016 Record 2-1; [District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Win: 41-7 vs 6A Henderson County (0-3). Nice, efficient bounce-back Colonels! QB Kolbe Langhi was 6 for 9 with 204 yards and 3 TDs. RB Trequan Taylor went for 156 yards and 3 TDs as well. Not much not to like for Colonel fans in this one. Well Christian County Colonels that is; Henderson County is really struggling. But this is the first year with a new coach and he will clearly need time to turn things around in the land of John James Audubon! Week 3: At 3A Fort Campbell (0-3) Is it September 16th yet?

6) South Warren (4A) – PR: 3; LW: 4 - 2016 Record 2-1; [District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Loss: 17-16 vs 5A Greenwood (3-0). Well Spartan fans this was a tough one for sure, but honestly from an injury standpoint more than anything. Because injured QB Ryder Litten and injured Mr. Everything CJ Hayes along with DLine Jacob Lacey are your big stars. Add a serious injury to Chris Hickman (SR Oline/Dline) and it sucks. I honestly hate the injury part of football, but it is an inherent risk all the young men know and take. I first and foremost hope all 3 can rebound soon as there is still SO MUCH to play for. Spartan fans this wasn’t a district game and it wasn’t a playoff game as those are much more important that this game. I admit losing to a cross-town rival is tough though. But you have to LOVE the grit and effort from your team when faced with significant adversity. CJ Hayes went down (at the half) and then Litten (with 2 minutes to go in the 3rd Q) and you were down (17-7 at that point) and your younger guys stepped up, especially the defense. You realize Greenwood scored their LAST point with 11:55 to go in the 2nd Quarter. The defense held for basically 3 quarters. The schedule is not kind the next 3 weeks. Week 3: at 6A Central Hardin (3-0). And the Bruins are playing good ball right now.

5) Greenwood (5A) – PR: 10; LW: 10 - 2016 Record 3-0; District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Win: 17-16 over 4A South Warren (2-1). Would have loved to have been a fly on the Gators field house wall after last Friday’s Program Significant Win! Coach Seabolt and his fine team earned this one by running out to a 17-0 lead in about one quarter of time and then held on and made the plays down the stretch including a HUGE hold on the 2pt conversion attempt in the 4th Quarter. Have the Gators had a bigger victory? That could be debated, but definitely not in the regular season. The Gators rushed for 111 yards and 83 passing yards. Jackson Adams continues to be a rising star not only off US 231 but across the state as well. Bring on the Next Big Opponent: Week 3: vs 4A Franklin Simpson (3-0). Both teams are rollin and will come in Sky High! Get your seat at the Swamp early sports fans.

4). Franklin Simpson (4A) – PR: 8; LW – 6 - 2016 Record 3-0; [District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Win: 55-6 over 2A Metcalfe County (2-1). Well the Jimmy Church band (played for the homecoming party at the field after the game) got to warm up early as the Wildcats took care of business in a big way for Homecoming (isn’t it early for Homecoming? Not dogging it, but just seems early for me). If @FSfan and @fastaslightin would have combined forces on their prediction, they would have been exactly right. Good luck Hornets the rest of the way! Sorry Wildcat fans, I don’t have stats this week. But how about Week 3: at 5A Greenwood (3-0) - Now the Wildcats plan for a short trip up I-65 for a date with a Greenwood squad coming off their best regular season win in their history. Shapes up to be 1 heck of a game. Hit Roosters before the game for a Great Pre-game meal and is close to the stadium! You won’t be sorry!

3) McCracken County (6A) – PR: 4; LW: 3 - 2016 Record 3-0; [District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Win: 72 to 7 vs. 4A Madisonville North Hopkins (0-3). Holy Hemlock Batman! That is a BUNCH of points! Let’s talk both ends of the scale. To the negative – you have crushed a mid-tier 3A school and 2 bottom tier 4A schools. To the positive, Coach Jackson has his team working as a fine tuned unit with Cash Jones playing as well as anytime in his career. Add outstanding WRs and a seemingly solid D and you have the makings of a Region Winning club. Now march on to the first real test of the season. Week 3: PurpleHaze Western Kentucky Game of the Week vs 2A Mayfield (3-0). This has been a great series which the Mustangs lead 2-1. On paper, this game sets up for another classic. Mustangs have the home field and more troops on the sideline. Will that be enough? We shall see!

2) Mayfield (2A) – PR: 2; LW: 2 - 2016 Record 3-0; [District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Win: 48-26 over Old Foe 3A Paducah Tilghman (0-3). I’d like to apologize for not making this the Westsider Western Kentucky Game of the Week last week due to being the 103 Annual Meeting between these clubs and honoring a significant voice for Real Western Kentucky football. But I pledge to from this point forward (as I just thought about it!) Trajan Bright you are a Mr. Football candidate with 27 carries and 316 yards and 3 TDs. Will be interesting to see how McCracken County keys on Bright next week. Add Kyle Hurt this week with 2 rushing TDs and a 20 yard INT return for a TD as an outstanding effort against the Blue Tornado’s. Next up: PurpleHaze Western Kentucky Game of the Week - Week 3: At 6A McCracken County (3-0). I would think Coach Morris and company want to win this one pretty bad as it has become a pretty big rivalry in the area. Heck anyone that can keep it close with Mayfield is doing something. I predict another close game and I’d say OT is about 50-50.

1) Bowling Green (5A) – PR: 1; LW: 1 - 2016 Record 3-0; [District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Win: 31-10 over 6A St Xavier (1-1). Purple fans, I present you 2 golden chalices. One with ice cold spring water, a sobering reminder, as St X didn’t play with their D1 QB or star WR, who ran 2 kicks back on you last year. Think if Clark Payne and Deangelo Wilson didn’t play in this game. But then again, Not My Problem, and with the second golden chalice, I present Purple Kool-Aid to toast a VERY good win, as the X D (wave after wave of players and all) were in-tact and while they played very well could not stop the Purple O-Train led by SR RB Jamale Carothers and SR WR Luke Brown. Defensively, Dalen Cofer, Justice Dingle and J’son Beason each recorded on average 10 tackles. Add speedy Devan Jackson’s 2 key first half punt blocks and your 3 and 0 lookin to head up the Ole Green River Parkway next week. Week 3: At 5A Owensboro (2-1). PurpleHaze always told me “You are always down 7-0 anytime you go to Rash Stadium” and I think he’s right. To dismiss Owensboro after a less than stellar game last week would be a mistake. Luckily for BG, this isn’t Coach Wallace or Coach Spader’s first rodeo at Rash! Come out to Old Hickory Barbeque before the game and say hello! I hope the waitress’ wear Purple shirts again this year!

Old Hickory.jpg

Week 2 Players of the Week: (First, thanks to our good friend @Nathaniel Bryan for scouring the state to provide some of this information; Second, I am going to pick different guys for this list to try and provide more hardworking young men a chance to get highlighted than to keep going to the same ones over and over. Third, I do not get all the stats by the time this edition goes out, so please add to the list and thank you for it!)

1) Trajan Bright – RB – Mayfield – 316 yards and 3 TDs vs Paducah Tilghman!

2) Will Warren – QB – Owensboro Catholic – 159 yards passing and 4 TDs vs Owensboro!

3) Rex Henderson – QB – Butler County – rushed for 99 yards and 3 TDs and passed for 249 yards and 3 TDs vs Russellville.

4) Tanner Dawson – P – Greenwood – Kept his cool when snap went over his head in 2nd half of South Warren game and managed to get the ball from near his goal line to about midfield. Big swing for the Gators right there!

Week 1 “Big Droppers”

South Warren (4A) – Down – Fought valiantly in the face of adversity (injuries, penalties, and etc.), but no denying who the favorite was in this game, as South has beaten Greenwood by an average of 5 TDs every game since they have been playing. The season is not over South fans, but now is the time to see what you’re made of as a very difficult stretch in your season awaits in the next 3 games!

Owensboro (5A) – Down – OCath is a very respectable team to me and most that insinuate they know Western Kentucky football, but as our good friend @devils58 said referring to why you should be surprised OCATH won “Because Catholic won with half the athletic ability”. I tend to think it’s more of a numbers thing as our good friend @zoneblitz2 reported that the Aces were without at least 1 injured player and just plugged the next kid in he made plays. If OCATH can make Owensboro 1 dimensional, it does not bode well considering BG rolls up the Green River Parkway next Friday night.

Week 1 “Big Risers”

Greenwood (5A) – Up – Not sure what more I can say to congratulate Greenwood than to set the stage of SHOULD they be fortunate enough to squeak by Franklin Simpson with a win, they should travel down Scottsville Road on October 21 with the District Championship on the line with 2 potentially undefeated teams looking for their first ever win against the Purples. Would be a nice bookend piece for GW with a victory against BG and South in the same season. Aim high Gators! Aim High!

Owensboro Catholic (2A) – Up – Coach John Edge and his players have clearly risen to the occasion early this season. Rollin is an understatement. Looking at their schedule, I would say they will be favorites in every remaining game except MAYBE North Hardin, which they get in Owensboro. Congratulations on the Big Win!

11 Thru 15

Thought we’d start to dabble down in this neck of the woods a bit this week!

11. Owensboro (5A) – PR: 7; LW: 6 - 2016 Record 2-1; [District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Loss: 34-29 vs 2A OCATH (2-1). I didn’t have a great feeling letting you drop from 6 to 11, but such is life and plenty of time to rebound. When you hear things from our good friend @Irish Cat like OCATH converts on 4th and 27, OCATH recovers the onside kick; Roughing the kicker on Owensboro; and OCATH goes 90 yards on the kickoff; it is setting up for a long night for the Red Devils. But Landon Board is a top shelf back and anytime he is on your team you have a shot. IMO for O to have a real shot vs BG; O must give it to Landon Board for more times than his 2015 effort against BG (37 carries in a game BG won 17-14 at BG) and break the All-Time Owensboro Rush Attempts per single game record currently held by Maurice White (42 carries vs Montgomery County in 1986). This would manage the clock and keep the Purple O on the sideline.

12. Glasgow (2A) – PR: Top 15; LW: Top 15 – 2016 Record: 2-0 Due to cancellation of Casey County Game. Last week blasted longtime foe Barren County 5A 49-12. Best Scotties team in some time, but they will be challenged this week as the Patriots from Allen County Scottsville 4A (1-2) come calling. Terrific contest here!

13. Adair County (3A) – PR: Top 15; LW: Top 15 – 2016 Record: 3-0. Indians travel to a good Metcalfe County squad who are mending their wounds from their first loss of the season. But the game is in Edmonton, so I give the Hornets a slight chance at the upset.

14. Graves County (5A) – PR: Top 15; LW: Top 15. After a disappointing opener, the Eagles have rolled in their last 2 games vs lesser opponents. This week they travel to Paducah to take on the Blue Tornado’s. Which version of them will they get?

15. Allen County-Scottsville (4A) – PR: Top 15; LW: Top 20. One of the toughest 1-2 teams you will find. Travel to Glasgow this week to take on the red-hot Scotties.

Others Receiving Votes: Metcalfe County, Edmonson County, Muhlenberg County, McLean County, Monroe County, Caldwell County

Western Kentucky Note: I just couldn’t let this one pass without mentioning it: According to our good friend @macdon, Franklin-Simpson place kicker Maddie Alexander was named Homecoming Queen this past Friday Night. Ms Maddie Alexander runs cross country, plays soccer, softball, football and is a straight A student. She choose to carry her helmet under her arm in lieu of roses as she crossed the field. Awesome!

Everyone is talking about FS and South Warren in 4A district 2, but we had better keep an eye on Allen Co.-Scottsville. They only lost to Greenwood by a touchdown last week and laid a whooping on Monroe Co. this week. They are throwing the ball a lot. Whoever wins the FS-SW game doesn't have the district wrapped up until they contend with AC-S.

Maddie Alexander being crowned homecoming queen at FS is one of the neatest things I have ever seen in high school football. After being announced as the queen, she stopped long enough to have a couple of pictures taken, then raced across the field in her dress and nice shoes, helmet in hand, to the field house to suit up for the game. About 15 minutes later, she stepped on the field to kick the first of seven extra points she made that night. Makes me proud to be an FSfan.

Everyone is talking about FS and South Warren in 4A district 2, but we had better keep an eye on Allen Co.-Scottsville. They only lost to Greenwood by a touchdown last week and laid a whooping on Monroe Co. this week. They are throwing the ball a lot. Whoever wins the FS-SW game doesn't have the district wrapped up until they contend with AC-S.

Maddie Alexander being crowned homecoming queen at FS is one of the neatest things I have ever seen in high school football. After being announced as the queen, she stopped long enough to have a couple of pictures taken, then raced across the field in her dress and nice shoes, helmet in hand, to the field house to suit up for the game. About 15 minutes later, she stepped on the field to kick the first of seven extra points she made that night. Makes me proud to be an FSfan.

Those "nice" shoes were made for running. Black high top Chucks with sparkles. The girl came prepared.

FS, Terrific post, especially about Maddie Alexander. She is special!

Concerning ACS, I agree with you. They are one of my sleeper teams. If they could go into Glasgow and get a win. IMO, they have a real shot at district especially is South and FS has injury issues.

Great game this week vs Greenwood!

BluegrassPreps 2016 Western Kentucky Power Rankings – Week 2 Edition

2) Mayfield (2A) – PR: 2; LW: 2 - 2016 Record 3-0; [District Record 0-0] Week 2 Results: Win: 48-26 over Old Foe 3A Paducah Tilghman (0-3). I’d like to apologize for not making this the Westsider Western Kentucky Game of the Week last week due to being the 103 Annual Meeting between these clubs and honoring a significant voice for Real Western Kentucky football.

[B]Western Kentucky Note: I just couldn’t let this one pass without mentioning it: According to our good friend @macdon, Franklin-Simpson place kicker Maddie Alexander was named Homecoming Queen this past Friday Night. Ms Maddie Alexander runs cross country, plays soccer, softball, football and is a straight A student. She choose to carry her helmet under her arm in lieu of roses as she crossed the field. Awesome!

[/b]

Well done!

It's good to see Owensboro Catholic back in the Top 10.

Rambo, they were not too far out to begin with,but certainly earned their way in. I'm m enjoying learning of some of their new players. I know more about the QB and RB, tell me about another guy that has great potential on this team. Thx

Here are the starting sophmores. There are also a couple of freshmen that play or start. I may not have all them.

Noah Todd is 6'2 215 DE (Soph) that started last year. 41 Tackles 3 sacks, 2 INT's

Sam Harrington 6'1 190 WR, OLB (Soph). He also kicks.

Nick Mills 6'0 172 WR and KR (Soph). He returned a 90yd vs. Owensboro last week.

Jayden Hall 6'5 260 starting LG (Soph)

Josh Sloan 5'10 180 LB came in when their starting LB went out 1st qtr vs. OHS. 10 tackles vs. OHS per KHSAA stats.

Sterling Hardesty 5'10 175 RB-LB contributes valuable minutes to give Williams a break.

Noah Edlen DT 6'0 220 (Freshman) 10 Tackles in starting last two games. 1 sack

Hagan Edge 5'9 155 (Freshmen) RB-DB.

There are several other sophmores that play key backup roles