Western Kentucky Power Ranking - 08/28/16

Purple88

BluegrassPreps 2016 Western Kentucky Power Rankings “ Week 1 Edition"

The top story line this week REMAINS the Weather, as lightning, heavy rain and heat indices forced significant delay, push backs and flat out cancellations across our half of the state and beyond. I suppose it is just that time of year that Mother Nature reminds us who is in control on certain nights. But a big shout out to all those (players, coaches, refs, concession stand workers, parents, and just great fans) who braved the weather and still brought you the news as it happened in the West!

AROUND THE STATE: On this second weekend of games, Kentucky teams played 11 out of state teams from 5 different States. We did well winning our overall battles in Ohio (3-1), West Virginia (1-0) and Tennessee (2-1), but losing to Indiana (0-2) and Virginia (0-1). Great job to all those teams who brought home the win and also for those that tried and improved. I applaud all these teams for challenging themselves in the early non-district season.

Week 2 Western Kentucky Game of the Week: (Disclaimer: I am not picking the BG vs St X game because St X is not a WKY team and the fact that this game needs no hype help.)

South Warren 4A (2-0) at Greenwood 5A (2-0): This is a matchup of Top 10 teams and will mark the first real test for South Warren. Greenwood comes into this game off an exciting back and forth win at gritty 4A Allen County-Scottsville.

Honorable Mention: MANY GREAT games AND Big Local Rivalries in the West this week worth mentioning: Paducah Tilghman at Mayfield; Owensboro at Owensboro Catholic; Barren County at Glasgow; Butler County at Russellville. How about that for a slate of games!

Week 1 Western Kentucky Game of the Week Recap: Christian County (5A) (1-1) 22 at Bowling Green (5A) (2-0) 42 - BG took the opening kickoff then gave it to their best player (SR RB Jamale Carothers) and he took the toss sweep to the house from 50 yards out and the Purples really never looked back. Many might blow off Christian County after this game and that would be a mistake. Their skill guys are VERY good, but they play the whole game and have to be more tired on most nights than teams that don't play both way guys (like BG). Kolbe Langhi is a terrific talent, but don't think the BG D allowed him to get comfortable last Friday night, as the Colonels only managed 202 yards for the game. Big game from the BG defense across the board. Christian County will be back though. If they are on your schedule don't sell them short for not winning at El Donaldson Stadium. Not many will do that this year.

Week 1 Top 10:

10) Russellville (1A) Preseason Rank (PR): Top 15; Last Week (LW): Top 15 - 2016 Record 2-0; District Record 0-0] Week 1 Results: Win: 41-6 over 3A Fort Campbell (0-2). WELCOME to the Top 10 Panthers! The Panthers rolled up 437 yards rushing at Ft Campbell led by SR FB Drew West with 160 yards and 1 TD. QB Jaylen McMurray struggled throwing the ball with 3 INTs, but if you think you're going to need to pass some in the playoffs, now is the time to try. And what better time to add the Panthers with their Week 2 high profile game approaching: Week 2: vs 2A Butler County (2-0). King Rex Henderson comes to Russellville for a Bethel Dipper "old fashioned" cheeseburger and a tussle with the Panthers! the-bethel-dipper-in.jpgWho ya got?

9) Greenwood (5A) PR: 10; LW: 10 - 2016 Record 2-0; District Record 0-0] Week 1 Results: Win: 35-27 over 4A Allen County Scottsville (0-2). The Gators were tested for sure by one of the best 0-2 teams in the State. Jackson Adams and Willie Reynolds both continue to tote the mail for the Gators. A game like this is a perfect setup for a real test next week at the Swamp. Can the Gators pull the upset? Week 2: Western Kentucky Game of the Week - vs 4A South Warren (2-0).

8) Hopkinsville (4A) PR: 9; LW: 8 - 2016 Record 2-0; District Record 0-0] Week 1 Results: Win: 44-14 over West Creek, TN (0-2). This team really good. Jalen Johnson continues his strong season passing for 175 yards and 4 TDs. Name of the week "Shorty" Cager caught 3 of those TD passes. Little went wrong for the Tigers last week and I expect that to continue until the Cage Match with Christian County September 16 at the Stadium of Champions. Week 2: At 3A Fort Campbell (0-2) (at Trigg County in the David Sadler Bowl).

7) Christian County (5A) PR: 5; LW: 4 - 2016 Record 1-1; [District Record 0-0] Week 1 Results: Loss: 42-22 at 5A Bowling Green (2-0). Well the Colonels found out how difficult it is to fall behind the Purples. Trailing 21-6 after 1Q and 34-6 at the half just can't get it done. Is it fair to drop Christian County down to 7? The primary reason I did is because I expected more from them. And I'm sure most Christian County insiders did too. But all is not lost Colonel fans. Your top 4 or 5 skill guys are as good as I've seen this regular season not in Purple. You now know exactly where the bar is set if you can earn another shot at the El in the Playoffs. With that kind of thinking, let's turn to focusing on the remaining schedule highlighted by a grudge match against Hopkinsville and HOME DISTRICT games vs Owensboro and Graves County. Lot to play for! Week 2: vs 6A Henderson County (0-2) I look for the Colonels to bounce back in a big way this week!

6) Franklin Simpson (4A) PR: 8; LW: 7 - 2016 Record 2-0; District Record 0-0] Week 1 Results: Win: 14-6 over 3A Caldwell County (0-2). It is a shame this game was weather shortened as it had the makings of a real shootout. Bottom line is Franklin drove over, scored 2 early TDs and held the Tigers to 6 early points before the weather took over and dictated the contest to end at halftime. It is what it is. Franklin is a very good rushing team and their defense appears to be very good as well this year. The game at Greenwood in 2 weeks will be interesting to compare to next week's Greenwood game. Week 2: vs 2A Metcalfe County (2-0).

5) Owensboro (5A) PR: 7; LW: 6 - 2016 Record 2-0; [District Record 0-0] Week 1 Results: Win: 42-28 over 4A Madisonville (0-2). According to our good friend @Nathaniel Bryan, Landon Board had another great game for the Red Devils with nearly 200 yards and a 93 yard kickoff return for a TD. Heralded Freshman Imonte Owsley had an 80 yard dash for a score. Remember that name sports fans as he will be a special one for sure. The defense continues to gel. This is a dangerous team. Week 2: At cross-town rival 2A Owensboro Catholic (1-1). Both teams have significant differences from last year, but what last year tells us is that this one should be pretty close as well. Very good talent for both playing Friday Night!

4) South Warren (4A) PR: 3; LW: 5 - 2016 Record 2-0; District Record 0-0] Week 1 Results: Win: 43-22 over 5A Owensboro Apollo (0-2). Well, I used this technique (Man Allegedly Disguises Himself as Elderly Man to Escape Police : People.com) to evade the South Warren Pitch-fork Mafia for dropping them to #5 last week. Maybe rebounding to #4 this week will suffice until they play their first comparable team this week and we can get a glimpse at this talented squad vs a more worthy opponent. If you don't get the Week 2 Edition you know what happened! SR QB Ryder Litten (scored all 6 South TDs this week) continues to be the consistent star for the Spartans this year. Defense is still very good and will have to continue to be as Greenwood will have some athletes to challenge South. Week 1: Western Kentucky Game of the Week at 5A Greenwood (2-0).

3) McCracken County (6A) PR: 4; LW: 3 - 2016 Record 2-0; [District Record 0-0] Week 1 Results: Win: 55 to 18 vs. 4A Warren Central (0-2). QB Cash Jones had 6 TD passes in the first quarter and a half. That's when Coach Jackson called off the dogs and took the starters out. Just hard to watch Warren Central have to play a schedule this difficult when their team has been degraded to this state. However, it shows tremendous courage to continue to try and keep playing. Mustangs are good, but how good? Jury is still out and will probably remain that way until the Mayfield Cardinals come calling on the 9th of September. Next up: Week 2: vs 4A Madisonville North Hopkins (0-2).

2) Mayfield (2A) PR: 2; LW: 2 - 2016 Record 2-0; District Record 0-0] Week 1 Results: Win: 48-7 over 5A Marshall County (0-1). According to our good friend @Toothpick, who manned the War Memorial Stadium fort for a reported 7 hours and 20 minutes of weather impacted fun. That kind of dedication deserves to be rewarded, so here is Toothpick's report from the field early Saturday morning "In a steady rain Mayfield managed 3 fumbles and 2 int's though one of the picks was a result of the conditions. Mayfield had 423 yard of offense and Marshall County a little over 200. MF QB Arnett threw 3 TD's and Trajon Bright rushed for 2, one a 54ish yard run. Bright saw limited action in the second half due to a large lead and the wet conditions." Next up: Week 2: At Home vs. 3A Paducah Tilghman (0-2). Tilghman is still a dangerous team and although 0-2 I am impressed with how they showed up ready to play at 6A Central Hardin and competed very well. They have good athletes, but ultimately not here; just too much to overcome.

1) Bowling Green (5A) PR: 1; LW: 1 - 2016 Record 2-0; District Record 0-0] Week 1 Results: Win: 42-22 over 5A Christian County (1-1). The stars (Carothers, Payne, Wilson, and Kenner) were very good, but I want to give recognition to areas that don't get as much love, namely the offensive line (including TE Garrett Strickler who recorded his first TD reception last week), the defensive secondary, and SR DE Dalen Cofer. Look at the blocking on the first TD by Carothers - Textbook: BGHS 42 Christian Co. 22 - Bowling Green High highlights - Hudl The defensive secondary played really well. I saw DB Austin Echols really engage on tackles and SR Tyler Stahl lead on the field and get the Purples first INT of the year. Finally, Dalen Cofer was his typical disruptive force on the DLine and recorded 7 tackles. Next up: Week 2: Vs 6A St Xavier (1-0). St X gave the Purples their only defeat in 2015. Can the Purples rebound this year at home? Come out to the El and find out. It will be a great atmosphere and night of football.

Week 1 Players of the Week: (First, thanks to our good friend @Nathaniel Bryan for scouring the state to provide some of this information; Second, I am going to pick different guys for this list to try and provide more hardworking young men a chance to get highlighted than to keep going to the same ones over and over. Third, I do not get all the stats by the time this edition goes out; for instance I don't have any stats for Mayfield other than what Toothpick reported, so please add to the list and thank you for it!)

1) Hunter Combs - QB - Muhlenberg County - 5 TDs total (3 passing & 2 rushing)!

2) Kyle Slate DB Hopkins County Central 3 INTs vs Crittenden County.

3) Vonn Williams RB Owensboro Catholic rushed for 275 yards and 3 TDs vs Daviess County.

4) Heath Simmons QB Ohio County 26 for 36 for 340 yards and 2 TDs vs Muhlenberg County.

5) Clark Payne QB Bowling Green 20 for 27 for 273 yards and 4 TDs vs Christian County.

Week 1 Big Droppers

Christian County (5A) Down An opportunity missed for sure. Did I expect Christian County to win at BG NO, but I did expect them to push BG into the second half. My question now is how will the Colonels rebound and use this game? I think we found out soon. Much still to play for. Who is the favorite to win 5A District 1?

Glasgow (2A) Down What could derail a 60 point freight train coming out of Week 0? Mother Nature derailed the Glasgow vs Casey County game this week and it will not be rescheduled. When you are rolling you don't want to get off the field. Next week is a big one for the Scotties with the cross-town rival Barren County Trojans coming to call.

Week 1 Big Risers

Hopkins County Central (4A) Up With the 24-19 win over Crittenden County, this is the first time the Storm has been 2 and 0 since 2003! Congratulations!

McLean County (2A) Up BIG win over neighbor 6A Ohio County 52-35! Gobbled up over 525 yards rushing. Starts the year 2 and 0 for the first time since 2008! Congratulations!

Calloway County (4A) Up With the 13-2 win over rival neighbor Murray, starts off the season 2 and 0 for the first time since 2008 and beats Murray for the first time since 2008! Way to go Lakers!

Best 0 and 2 Teams in the State!

Caldwell County (3A) PR: 6; LW: 9 - 2016 Record 0-2; Week 1: Loss: 14-6 vs 4A Franklin Simpson (2-0). Well Tiger fans, I know it stinks to be 0 and 2, but it's really 0 and 1.5, as you only played a half last week due to the rain. And as good as Franklin is neither of you is a match for the weather and you have to deal with how the chips fall. Still believe in you guys as there are others in 3A West that aren't playing near the competition you are. I think it pays off. Good luck at N Hardin.

Allen County Scottsville (4A) PR: Top 15 2016 Record 0-2: Loss: 35-27 to 5A Greenwood (2-0). Back and forth game against a good Greenwood club and had the ball down to the reported 11 yard line, but just couldn't make the tying play. Very good effort. If you play ACS, they are no easy out.

Edited by Purple88
gremlins

Wow! You do it again P88. Amazing work that I dont think anyone else in the state has the desire, knowledge or detail to do. Great work!

Not slighting the other matchups across the state but, "It's X week." Looking forward in Purples matchup vs the Tigers. In the first 2 games during the first half ( when Purples starters are in) they have scored on 12 of their 13 possessions. Pretty impressive. If a team can stay within 36 points of them throughout entire game, keeping the starters in they will score 60+ points a game.

Purples simply collapsed last season for 2 quarters and it cost them the game (1 of 3 losses since November of 2010).

St X scoring 42 straight points last week makes this game interesting. Add to the fact that its St X were talking about and it gets REAL interesting.

None the less, P88, you do a superb job. Great work!

@backinblack2000, Cash Jones is a teriffic player and I mentioned the TDs in the Mustangs section, but I don't think his competition this week was worthy to put him on this list (apologies Dragonfire). If he does this against Mayfield, I will construct a whole category for him though.

Absolutely purp!! I understand that, and you do a great job !! It's a shame that WC is in the position they are now. I would have loved to see the mustangs play SW instead...win or lose it would have been much more beneficial for both squads. As far as the MF game I sure hope cash throws 6 first half td's but I doubt it....it's been 3 of the best hs games I've ever seen the last 3 years so looking forward to this one....but first we have to take care of Madisonville. Hopefully by the end of the year we can give BG a better shot

Absolutely purp!! I understand that, and you do a great job !! It's a shame that WC is in the position they are now. I would have loved to see the mustangs play SW instead...win or lose it would have been much more beneficial for both squads. As far as the MF game I sure hope cash throws 6 first half td's but I doubt it....it's been 3 of the best hs games I've ever seen the last 3 years so looking forward to this one....but first we have to take care of Madisonville. Hopefully by the end of the year we can give BG a better shot

Black,

I totally agree about the Warren Central situation. And don't be surprised if you do not get a call from South Warren NEXT year looking through play.

Concerning McCracken Co, they are a really intriguing team. Cash Jones is a terrific player as I've said. Add the WRs and you have a dynamic offense. Your defense also has talented players led by players on your dline, but they really haven't been tested yet. But time will solve that with a marquee game against Mayfield. Looking forward to it.

I am thinking of coming to the McCracken Co v BG game. It will depend on my home team and other logistics as I'd like to see your stadium.

Black,

I totally agree about the Warren Central situation. And don't be surprised if you do not get a call from South Warren NEXT year looking through play.

Concerning McCracken Co, they are a really intriguing team. Cash Jones is a terrific player as I've said. Add the WRs and you have a dynamic offense. Your defense also has talented players led by players on your dline, but they really haven't been tested yet. But time will solve that with a marquee game against Mayfield. Looking forward to it.

I am thinking of coming to the McCracken Co v BG game. It will depend on my home team and other logistics as I'd like to see your stadium.

Sounds great man! Hope u can make it.....I'm sure there is lots of politics behind this answer but why doesn't BG & SW play??? Seems like that would answer alot of questions concerning WKY power rankings !!

Sounds great man! Hope u can make it.....I'm sure there is lots of politics behind this answer but why doesn't BG & SW play??? Seems like that would answer alot of questions concerning WKY power rankings !!

There are conflicting reports as to why they didn't play, but because of redistricting next year, South Warren will be in the same 5A district as Bowling Green and will play at least one game a year. Problem solved!

Buddy, if I had a penny for every time I was asked this question, I would build the worlds biggest coin tower!

Each side says something different. Like Adoptee said it will all end next year. I really do think both missed a chance to make the entire state stop and take notice the past 2 or 3 seasons.

At the end of the day, I'd say both are still the favorites in their respective classes and will be tough to unseat!

Party on!:dancingpa