Louisville Power Rankings - Sponsored by Get in the game with Game On WBKI Sat @ 8p

Bert

Thanks to our Sponsor WBKI TV Louisville The CW. Get in the game with Game On WBKI Saturdays @ 8p.

Tv station: WBKI TV

Twitter: @ItsGame_On

attachment.php?attachmentid=57367&d=1471376973

1. Trinity – It took three and a half quarters but then the Trinity offense got going. I think once Trinity got that first TD, most watching the game felt very, very good about Trinity’s chances. While not a stellar performance like last year, Trinity will remain number one. Next week Trinity will face a stronger Tennessee opponent in Brentwood Academy this time at home. This game will give some indication as to whether this Trinity team is as strong as State Championship teams of past or not.

2. Male – Hard to know how to take Male’s victory over Floyd Central, IN. It wasn’t as convincing as last year’s but still a solid win. For now, Male holds the #2 spot with some questions in the air. Will Ballard give Male a game? Too early to tell but this will be one that will keep Louisville Area fan’s attention.

3. St. Xavier – Not much to say about X since they were idle so, they stay #3 since none of the teams ranking a few above or below did anything to justify movement.

4. Dupont Manual – Manual was in the featured game of the week and they got the job done against also ranked Central, even if it was by one point. If the difference were larger, the argument could be made that the Crimsons should jump X but not with a 1 point victory. No rest for Manual next week as they play Fern Creek on the Tigers home turn. The Creekers want revenge for their sole regular season loss last year. This game is this coming week’s featured game.

5. Fern Creek – A 33 point win over Seneca doesn’t really say anything. Best just to wait till this coming Friday’s rematch with Manual to see how Fern Creek looks after last year’s break out season.

6. Central – Heart breaking loss for Central to lose to higher ranked Manual by a single point. Due to such a close game, Central will not be dropped. The Yellow Jackets don’t have time to sulk, they need to spend the week resharpening their stingers for their visit next week against the Hounds of Corbin H.S.

7. St. Francis DeSales – The Colts have held steady with a scrimmage win over Meade County and opening season win over Fairdale and therefore move up one spot in the rankings. Next Friday’s game will be a bit more of a challenge at Butler but the Colts should still come out victorious.

8. Central Hardin – Nice win by Central Hardin over Mercer County moving Central up one position. Next week’s game against Paducah Tilghman at home should be a stiffer test.

9. Christian Academy – I gave Christian Academy credit for generally starting the season strong but this year they took at 27 point loss to Simon Kenton. Simon Kenton is a strong enough team that this loss will not knock the Centurions out of the rankings but will knocked them down two.

10. Pleasure Ridge Park – With Elizabethtown falling out of the rankings, PRP snags the tenth ranking. Their victory over Valley really does not tell us much but next week’s over Meade County should be more telling. Meade has stumbled so far this year with a lopsided scrimmage loss to DeSales and a loss to Butler but is still a dangerous team for the Panthers.

Honorable Mention – these are the teams that just missed the Top Ten and are positioned to step up when those ranked stumble and fall out of the rankings

John Hardin – Despite losing, John Hardin will remain in the Honorable Mention category again this week. Their loss was to Bowling Green who would be favored against any team in Kentucky (regardless of class) not named Trinity or Male.

Ballard – The unknown of a new head coach left Ballard out of the rankings in the preseason. Will a solid win over Oldham County, the Bruins enter the Honorable Mention area. Next week Ballard faces what will probably be their second strongest opponent in Male. This game will show what the Bruins are made of.

North Hardin – Not too many years ago, a win over Boyle County would have been a season highlight, now there is quite a bit of uncertainty over the Rebels so it is a little too early to rank North Hardin but they deserve mention. Next week North faces a more known power in John Hardin and will shed light on just how good North is this season.

Waggener – Nice win over Iroquois and preseason hype gives Waggener some due attention

South Oldham – South Oldham handled Anderson County easily and will visit Doss next week.

Team on the Rise – No real suprises last weekend so this honor will go unawarded this week

Team on the Decline – Etown. OK, probably not the best prediction in the world, that blame falls on your humbled author of this ranking.

Featured Game of the Week - Manual versus Fern Creek

There will be a new addition to the Louisville Power Rankings. No, not a new team, instead Coach J will be a "consiglieri" to the rankings. I will still be putting the rankings together but before posting will shoot them to Coach J where he can take a look at and 1) Agree, 2) Disagree, 3) Fall on the ground laughing, 4) grab a bottle of bourbon in sheer bewilderment, etc..

And again, if you read this article and you disagree with it, speak up. These power rankings are to promote discussion. If everyone agrees, it will be pretty boring. If you feel your team was short changed, offer up points to support that assertion. If you feel another team is being treated too generously, same, get online with your reasons. In the next post I will include again which team Ram and Guru selected for the Louisville Area.

Louisville/Metro Area

Atherton

Ballard

Bardstown

Beth Haven

Bethlehem

Bullitt Central

Bullitt East

Butler

Campbellsville

Central

Central Hardin

Christian Academy of Louisville

Collins

DeSales

Doss

DuPont Manual

Eastern

Elizabethtown

Eminence

Evangel Christian

Fairdale

Fern Creek

Fort Knox

Green County

Henry County

Iroquois

Jeffersontown

John Hardin

Kentucky Country Day

Louisville Holy Cross

Male

Meade County

Moore

North Bullitt

North Hardin

North Oldham

Nelson County

Oldham County

Pleasure Ridge Park

Saint Xavier

Seneca

Shelby County

Shawnee

Southern

South Oldham

Spencer County

Thomas Nelson

Trimble County

Trinity

Valley

Waggener

Western

This is a very hard group to match up. I don't think Manual, FC and Central are that powerful. I see Central losing again this week.

Central has a challenging few weeks ahead so that will give us an idea of how good they are. Manual and Fern Creek play this Friday so that will cause some movement also.

How long before we see Waggener? No mention at this time. Best team nobody is talking about?

Waggener is in the honorable mention area (I missed bolding them accidentally). Their schedule isn't challenging enough in the recent weeks to be able to gauge how good they really are but they are being watched. I hope one of their games soon is covered by Coach J so he can see them live and access them as a coach would.

Thanks Bert! I went right past Waggener and missed it myself. Love seeing some of the recent non-traditional powers making a jump. Waggener was a powerhouse back in the Bob Redman days and Coach Wolfe did a solid job when he was the coach. Kids, Administrators, parents, teachers have to be excited with so much talk around town. I hope to catch the Central v Waggener game myself.

Great job with the list!!

:laugh:

Consiglieri. Love it!

Great job, Bert...and he said WAY too much about me. Bert is KILLING these write-ups. When/if I get back into HS coaching, can only hope I have stakeholders as passionate as he.