Bolus Rankings????

So Im online checking out some rankings for the upcoming season and I see Rick Bolus has state rankings of players Indiana, Ohio, Tennessee, and Kentucky. I have a couple of questions about some of these Kentucky rankings......

For one, who is this Evan McMahan kid from Carroll County? Hes listed as the "top sleeper" ranked ahead of guys like Wilson from Ballard, and top 10-12 overall senior. I've heard of sleepers but this is a "coma" because I've never heard of him.

Ethan Haynes from Florence Boone County as the top jr. overall??? Who?

And no mention of this freshman thats going to NCC or Beechwood (or golden state warriors, who knows) thats all over this site.

Someone enlighten me on these guys or is it just kids that went to his camp, paid their $, and had a nice couple of games?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Im online checking out some rankings for the upcoming season and I see Rick Bolus has state rankings of players Indiana, Ohio, Tennessee, and Kentucky. I have a couple of questions about some of these Kentucky rankings......

For one, who is this Evan McMahan kid from Carroll County? Hes listed as the "top sleeper" ranked ahead of guys like Wilson from Ballard, and top 10-12 overall senior. I've heard of sleepers but this is a "coma" because I've never heard of him.

Ethan Haynes from Florence Boone County as the top jr. overall??? Who?

And no mention of this freshman thats going to NCC or Beechwood (or golden state warriors, who knows) thats all over this site.

Someone enlighten me on these guys or is it just kids that went to his camp, paid their $, and had a nice couple of games?

I think you answered your own question with the bolded.

I would say Bolus can only rank who he sees.

I will tell you though, the Ethan Haynes kid could be special for Boone County. He may get stolen by the other fighting 9th teams.

He is a D2 ready recruit right now. 6'4" shooting guard with tremendous Athleticism.

McQueary needs to hang on to this kiddo.

Big money can be made in this game of rankings, AAU teams & tournaments, training, etc. Rick Bolus, Dave Bones, and Eddie Ford were, and to some extent still are, the originators in KY. Everybody's kid is the second coming of Michael Jordan........until they aren't and that creates demand for these services.

I would say Bolus can only rank who he sees.

I will tell you though, the Ethan Haynes kid could be special for Boone County. He may get stolen by the other fighting 9th teams.

He is a D2 ready recruit right now. 6'4" shooting guard with tremendous Athleticism.

McQueary needs to hang on to this kiddo.

Ethan definitely has the potential to be a great player. I will hold off judgement of him being D-2 ready right now until I see him play this year. Has to work on his outside shot. He may be able to play 2 guard in high school against inferior completion but not against high level summer ball competition.

No argument from me. I personally think they're all bogus. That's why they all vary so much. One might be able to generalize and say, this is the top 20 kids or so but to actually rank them is impossible to be accurate. I'm sure there are more rankings that are completely different than these 2.