Tim Tebow to Try Professional Baseball

Tim Tebow to try professional baseball - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Former Heisman Trophy winner and NFL quarterback Tim Tebow has his eyes on a different job - Major League Baseball player.

Tebow's agents, Jimmy Sexton and Nick Khan, told ESPN that he would be holding a workout for MLB teams later in the month, according to a report Tuesday. They said the former football player and current ESPN college football analyst had been training for the past year to play baseball.

"Tim's athletic ability, his work ethic, his leadership and his competitiveness were evident in football and will show in baseball," Sexton told reporter Adam Schefter. "Knowing Tim's passion and desire, we won't be surprised by anything he accomplishes."

Tebow, 29, hasn't played baseball since 2005 but was an All-State player in high school. He told ESPN of his intentions but pledged to fulfill his obligations as an analyst.

All 30 MLB teams will be invited to the workout, but the report did not state if any had accepted.

In an Associated Press interview published July 27, Tebow did not mention his baseball plans and would not answer whether he considers himself a retired football player.

"I think I consider myself someone that is so blessed to do what I love to do and to be around the game of college football and to be able to be part of something that was so much a part of my life since I was a little boy," he said to the AP. "But also I've got a lot of different things going on right now."

If successful, he would join a rare club of two-sport professional athletes, including Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, Brian Jordan and Michael Jordan.

The Florida QB won the Heisman Trophy in 2007 and helped the Gators to two national championships. A first round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, his best season came in 2011 with the Denver Broncos, when he started 11 games and led the team to a playoff victory. He hasn't been on an active NFL roster since 2012.

His second autobiography, Shaken: Discovering Your True Identity in the Midst of Life's Storms, is scheduled to release in October.

Copyright 2016 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim Tebow, Major League Baseball player: The long road to making it happen

Tebow, 28, hasn’t played competitive baseball since batting .494 as a junior in high school in 2004. He then went on to win a Heisman Trophy and two national titles as the University of Florida before a brief pro career as a quarterback and a more enduring stint as a TV personality/Internet person of interest.