How will this impact high school soccer?

Cincinnati United Soccer Club and Kings Hammer Soccer Club, two of the top 3 clubs in the greater Cincinnati area announced a partnership this week to run the girls' U.S. Soccer Development Academy Program in Cincinnati under the name "Cincinnati Development Academy". The program is a year round program and the first season will be the fall of 2017 under US Soccer. US Soccer's announcement of the initial clubs competing in the program are as follows:

U.S. Soccer Announces First 25 Clubs for Girls' Development Academy - U.S. Soccer

Will this be a game changer for girls high school soccer in the region?

• 2 weeks later...

Good question. Are you operating under the assumption, these ladies will no longer have the option of playing for their H.S.? Not clear to me that is U.S. soccer's way of thinking.

If the new program is taking 2000-3000 girls out of H.S. soccer programs in the U.S., I question if this makes sense. The top 100 in the country I understand, however the reality is most of the girls will never play for the national team. It would be sad if the the opportunity to play with their friends and win a state championship is taken away from these girls, all for a scenario that is not very likely.

Good question. Are you operating under the assumption, these ladies will no longer have the option of playing for their H.S.? Not clear to me that is U.S. soccer's way of thinking.

If the new program is taking 2000-3000 girls out of H.S. soccer programs in the U.S., I question if this makes sense. The top 100 in the country I understand, however the reality is most of the girls will never play for the national team. It would be sad if the the opportunity to play with their friends and win a state championship is taken away from these girls, all for a scenario that is not very likely.

I am not operating out of that assumption as that is indeed the way it is structured.

That's disappointing. I'm admittedly biased towards the high school experience. While I recognize the training & competition will be much better, I would have thought the Development Academy could have been possible working within the framework of the traditional 8-9 month club season.

To answer your question: Yes, I would expect most mid-high DI caliber players will no longer play H.S. and the effect will be drastic. Anticipate 15-20 girls in NKY will be impacted. As we know, about half of those go to one school.

I think it's inferred that the girls on this team would not play High School as the training and games are all in the fall.

The CUP players (Gold and Black) are very strong and already encouraged to not play H.S. - so you are really looking at the KHA girls and I would guess generally KHA girls would make up the minority of that combined team.

Of those KHA players - figure about half would be from Kentucky schools so maybe 2 or 3 KY girls per grade.

Note that three combined age groups: U-14/15, U-16/17 and U-18/19. Very few in the that first group (Generally grades 7,8 & 9) would be playing varsity anyway. So the older 2 teams would pull directly from the H.S. teams.

Edited by Cfuddy

I think it's inferred that the girls on this team would not play High School as the training and games are all in the fall.

If they follow the same schedule as the boys do, it is not just in the fall, their season is about 10 months long.

This isn't new, heck, Maddie Kim didn't play at Notre Dame and is going to college on a soccer scholarship to MTSU.

If you wanted to bypass high school and play club, then you are right, this isn't new. OE has for years had a fall club team that played a schedule. Historically based upon my observation the range of talent on those teams was WIDE. Not to mention since the option wasn't widely used by all of OE's top players locally I was always curious as to how widely it was accepted by the clubs in other geographies they were playing.

IMO, this is very different. The OE fall option was just that an option. You could be on the top OE team the rest of the year, but in the fall you would be on this assembled team (I could use the term "thrown together"), which pulled from all HS aged OE teams.

This new OE/Cup team is going to be year around and this is the only route to being on the top team. Both clubs will still have their individual top teams, but these will be diluted in some form from what they look like now. Of course this all assumes there is buy in of the top kids to this new structure, which was why I started the thread to ask - will there be buy in for this new structure and what will be the impact on HS soccer.

and you gave an example of a kid who went that route; however, what is different is now if you want to play on the top team for Kings/Cup

It will pull out a few additional TOP tier girls each year - 4 or 5, maybe 6 in NKY? Overall quality of girls HS soccer in NKY will still be on an upswing, IMO, as the technical ability, speed of play, and understanding of the game by the AVERAGE girls player has increased A LOT over the past 5-10 years.

A bigger issue, I think, is that the Development Academies don't address one of the biggest structural impediments to improving our national teams (men's side in particular), which is... college soccer. Even if the DAs identify and develop the best players through age 17 or 18, the best US players are still choosing college soccer and waiting to give pro a shot until after college. For 4 years of what should be some of the most intense training a soccer player gets, DI players are limited in the off-season to 8 hours per week total training with countable coaches of which only 2 hours are allowed to be skills based training (i.e., with a ball) and even then only in groups of 4 or less. In most other countries top players are either playing year-round on a top Club's U-20 squad or playing on a lower tier Club team (e.g., 3rd division) against men. As good as our college programs may be, they are structured for student-athletes and purposefully limit player development to facilitate academic development. Playing soccer in college is a lot of work on top of the academics, but it is not the all-in commitment/effort of a pro player.

As long as US youth soccer primarily serves the demographic who can pay-to-play then we'll continue to see college soccer be the primary goal of players/parents. And this demographic will (understandably) hedge their bets by playing at the next level in a context that gets them a college degree and (maybe) an outside shot at getting paid-to-play.

There are fixes that would better coordinate college soccer with professional clubs and national teams. There are financial models on player development that might incentivize youth Clubs to develop players outside of the pay-to-play model (like youth Clubs getting a share of player transfer fees -- see Yedlin and Bradley-related lawsuits). In the mean time the DAs are just another talent-aggregation device that feeds our best players into the college ranks. That may be good enough for most, but I'm not satisfied until the US (MNT specifically) is a playing soccer at a higher level.

Will this be a game changer for girls high school soccer in the region?

Yes ... but I don't think its a "monumental" game changer ... especially in the short run.

If the DA pulls 40 quality HS aged varsity players from the "Tri-State Region," the level of play is affected. But keep in mind the pool of kids includes those already playing club year round, and that 40 kids is a pretty small percentage of the entire "Tri-State Region" player pool. Its also likely the pool of players extends to Lexington, Louisville, Indy, Columbus, etc.

More importantly, I don't think it reduces the HS soccer experience for the rest of the players. Arguably it opens some opportunities for others to continue enjoying the soccer experience.

Could individual teams be impacted more because they lose a higher proportion of their top players? Absolutely. But good soccer programs develop and attract others to fill those spots.

Something that could unravel my theory in the long run, is if "year round" club soccer gains additional momentum from the success of the DA ... and there's a trickle down affect to the other club levels. So maybe we'll have to dig up this thread in about 5 years and see where things landed.

Below is the POSITION STATEMENT from Ohio Elite regarding the DA... interesting read...

Since 2002 Ohio Elite Soccer Academy has strived to put players in the most competitive training and competition environment possible.  We have done so more aggressively and on the leading edge than any club in our community.  We have also been the risk takers while others sat idle.  This effort has resulted in hundreds of players moving on to the college ranks.  This philosophy has also resulted in 25 players being called into US National Teams from U14 to the Full Women’s National Team.  Additionally, multiple players are currently or have played in the professional ranks.

We have been aware of the launching of the US Soccer Girls Development Academy for some time.  After careful consideration, Ohio Elite Soccer Academy made the decision not to seek entrance into this new platform.  In short we did not apply.  There are many reasons for this decision but the driving force behind it was that we do not feel this is the best for our players or female players in the current landscape of soccer in this country.

1)   Professional Soccer

There is no avenue to make a living in women’s soccer in the United States unless you are a star on the full women’s national team.  Unlike the men’s game, there is very rarely a financial gain or a career that women can pursue.  It is our view that the greater majority of girl’s players want to go to college and play college soccer.  While we do feel the Girl’s DA will provide these opportunities, we also feel that this can and has been achieved without requiring players to give up ALL outside activities and train four days per week for 10 months per year.

2)   High School Soccer/Sports Prohibition

Asking players that will likely never play professionally or make the US National Team to give up not only high school soccer but all other sports does not line up with our philosophy as it relates to soccer and personal development.  It is our view that players should have a choice.  Each path of development is complex and different.  We have always given players who want it the option to train year round or to seek their own path.

3)   Elite Clubs National League

The Elite Clubs National League (ECNL) has changed the face of youth soccer.  We have been fortunate to compete in the league since its inception.  It has meant everything to our players.  The experience they have been provided can’t be quantified.  In this platform, there is always something to play for and every game matters.  The tiered competition structure keeps all players and all teams motivated throughout the year.  In addition, teams are formed in every age group meaning players are not cycled out of the platform during the odd years.  It is our belief that the ECNL will continue to provide a tremendous environment while also giving them a choice on their development path.  This platform has not only placed players that make up 90% of the current US Youth National Teams, but it has also supplied the top college players currently playing in this country.  It is our view that the ECNL will continue to provide this to players.  College coaches from around the country have continued to express their support and intention to heavily recruit the ECNL events.

4)   Restrictive Rules

The Girls DA will feature rules that restrict player choices.  Those rules include prohibiting the participation in all outside activities including high school soccer or other high school sports, required 4 days per week of training in a 10-month schedule, and a no re-entry substitution rule.  In addition, we do not believe that mandated playing styles, player development models, or other mandates and prohibitions of any kind should be the driving force behind development.  Rather a freedom to see the game in different ways and encourage players and teams to express themselves we feel creates better players.

5)   End Game

With the vast experience our staff has coaching youth soccer at the highest level we were forced to ask ourselves; what are we doing this for?  It is important to us that our players have a strong desire to be the very best they can be.  It is also important to us that our players are without mandate and free to make choices.  Soccer and sports are a very important part of all of our lives.  They require great commitment and sacrifice.  It is also a tremendous teacher.  Whatever the end game is for a player, history shows we can help you get there. 

Ohio Elite Soccer Academy has and will continue to support US Soccer Federation.  We will never hold a player back from chasing their dreams.  We will support them in every way possible. We will continue to give every player that chooses Ohio Elite Soccer Academy the best opportunities.  In the end, players should have a choice.

In soccer,

Tim Lesiak

Executive Director of Coaching

Doug Bracken

Director of Coaching - Girls

Yes ... but I don't think its a "monumental" game changer ... especially in the short run.

If the DA pulls 40 quality HS aged varsity players from the "Tri-State Region," the level of play is affected. But keep in mind the pool of kids includes those already playing club year round, and that 40 kids is a pretty small percentage of the entire "Tri-State Region" player pool. Its also likely the pool of players extends to Lexington, Louisville, Indy, Columbus, etc.

More importantly, I don't think it reduces the HS soccer experience for the rest of the players. Arguably it opens some opportunities for others to continue enjoying the soccer experience.

Could individual teams be impacted more because they lose a higher proportion of their top players? Absolutely. But good soccer programs develop and attract others to fill those spots.

Something that could unravel my theory in the long run, is if "year round" club soccer gains additional momentum from the success of the DA ... and there's a trickle down affect to the other club levels. So maybe we'll have to dig up this thread in about 5 years and see where things landed.

Good points EG.

Below is the POSITION STATEMENT from Ohio Elite regarding the DA... interesting read...

Since 2002 Ohio Elite Soccer Academy has strived to put players in the most competitive training and competition environment possible.  We have done so more aggressively and on the leading edge than any club in our community.  We have also been the risk takers while others sat idle.  This effort has resulted in hundreds of players moving on to the college ranks.  This philosophy has also resulted in 25 players being called into US National Teams from U14 to the Full Women’s National Team.  Additionally, multiple players are currently or have played in the professional ranks.

We have been aware of the launching of the US Soccer Girls Development Academy for some time.  After careful consideration, Ohio Elite Soccer Academy made the decision not to seek entrance into this new platform.  In short we did not apply.  There are many reasons for this decision but the driving force behind it was that we do not feel this is the best for our players or female players in the current landscape of soccer in this country.

1)   Professional Soccer

There is no avenue to make a living in women’s soccer in the United States unless you are a star on the full women’s national team.  Unlike the men’s game, there is very rarely a financial gain or a career that women can pursue.  It is our view that the greater majority of girl’s players want to go to college and play college soccer.  While we do feel the Girl’s DA will provide these opportunities, we also feel that this can and has been achieved without requiring players to give up ALL outside activities and train four days per week for 10 months per year.

Asking players that will likely never play professionally or make the US National Team to give up not only high school soccer but all other sports does not line up with our philosophy as it relates to soccer and personal development.  It is our view that players should have a choice.  Each path of development is complex and different.  We have always given players who want it the option to train year round or to seek their own path.

The Elite Clubs National League (ECNL) has changed the face of youth soccer.  We have been fortunate to compete in the league since its inception.  It has meant everything to our players.  The experience they have been provided can’t be quantified.  In this platform, there is always something to play for and every game matters.  The tiered competition structure keeps all players and all teams motivated throughout the year.  In addition, teams are formed in every age group meaning players are not cycled out of the platform during the odd years.  It is our belief that the ECNL will continue to provide a tremendous environment while also giving them a choice on their development path.  This platform has not only placed players that make up 90% of the current US Youth National Teams, but it has also supplied the top college players currently playing in this country.  It is our view that the ECNL will continue to provide this to players.  College coaches from around the country have continued to express their support and intention to heavily recruit the ECNL events.

4)   Restrictive Rules

The Girls DA will feature rules that restrict player choices.  Those rules include prohibiting the participation in all outside activities including high school soccer or other high school sports, required 4 days per week of training in a 10-month schedule, and a no re-entry substitution rule.  In addition, we do not believe that mandated playing styles, player development models, or other mandates and prohibitions of any kind should be the driving force behind development.  Rather a freedom to see the game in different ways and encourage players and teams to express themselves we feel creates better players.

5)   End Game

With the vast experience our staff has coaching youth soccer at the highest level we were forced to ask ourselves; what are we doing this for?  It is important to us that our players have a strong desire to be the very best they can be.  It is also important to us that our players are without mandate and free to make choices.  Soccer and sports are a very important part of all of our lives.  They require great commitment and sacrifice.  It is also a tremendous teacher.  Whatever the end game is for a player, history shows we can help you get there. 

Ohio Elite Soccer Academy has and will continue to support US Soccer Federation.  We will never hold a player back from chasing their dreams.  We will support them in every way possible. We will continue to give every player that chooses Ohio Elite Soccer Academy the best opportunities.  In the end, players should have a choice.

In soccer,

Tim Lesiak

Doug Bracken

You read that you would be led to believe that OE is encouraging their girls to play sports other than soccer. I don't care who you are that right there is funny. :laugh:

1)   Professional Soccer

4)   Restrictive Rules

5)   End Game

In soccer,

Tim Lesiak

Doug Bracken

Several days ago US Soccer announced an additional 28 clubs to the DA program ... see link.

U.S. Soccer Announces 28 Additional Clubs to Be Included in Girls’ Development Academy - U.S. Soccer

If I'm not mistaken, several were ECNL teams and/or aligning themselves with the ECNL path. Seems OE is in a tough position and likely in a mild state of panic. IMO, there position statement doesn't seem to align with their past positions and actions.

Several days ago US Soccer announced an additional 28 clubs to the DA program ... see link.

U.S. Soccer Announces 28 Additional Clubs to Be Included in Girls’ Development Academy - U.S. Soccer

If I'm not mistaken, several were ECNL teams and/or aligning themselves with the ECNL path. Seems OE is in a tough position and likely in a mild state of panic. IMO, there position statement doesn't seem to align with their past positions and actions.

I think 10 of the 28 were ECNL (ECNL had something like 79 Clubs). Will ECNL look to replace those 10 Clubs? The insiders' rumor mill around which ECNL teams were jumping must have been intense. On the boys side at U15/16 & U17/18 the DA program has 74 Clubs. What do you think the target number of DA Clubs is on the girls side?