Athletic Trainers and AEDs

Clyde

Does your school have

a)certified athletic trainers at all practices/games

b)AEDs ?

Both A and B saved a kid's life this weekend and the trainer is from NKY.

Moeller ATC Craig Lindsey(son graduated from Conner/daughter at Conner now) and others helped save a LAX player who took a shot to the chest and his heart stopped beating properly. As Craig said without that AED it could have gone the other way while waiting on EMTs to arrive.

I'm always stunned to hear that schools do not have certified trainers at all events. I guess in some areas it could be a matter of availability. I am pretty sure in NKY that the schools do not pay a dime for the trainers to be onsite.

Quick response saves Centerville lacrosse player

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully schools have more than one AED...won't do much good if it's in a cabinet in the HS and it's needed at the football field or baseball field that may be down the street or 1/2 mile away on campus. AED's IMO should be on the side lines for every game and practice...at around $1,000 or so each, no excuse for there not to be one readily available in the gym, at the baseball field, softball field, , football field and soccer field.

One thing is I would like the khsaa to make mandatory for ALL events and have one set style and brand of a aed's. I have worked with a few different styles in the past all are similar but do have small differences. Make the same model mandatory so no matter what trainer or what coach need to use it at any event that have all been properly trained on the exact same one. Every second counts when a AED is needed.

I've built several public schools in Kentucky and Ohio over the last decade, and AED's & AED cabinets were all standard issue to install as part of construction of the school.

See them all of the time. Question is are they on the field of play?

I know just about every school in the south central area has an AED available at several locations in their various schools. I know of quite a few programs who have an AED at their athletic facilities. Also, I'll always see an ambulance parked next to the field at just about every high school game.

But, I don't know of many teams with an actual trainer. It very well might be a dad, uncle, booster, alumni or something along those lines who is a nurse or a doctor or something along those lines.

Schools don't have money for trainers at all events. It would require districts to have a number of them. When you have multiple sports going on at the same time in different locations in a school district. I would love for it to be the case but there isn't enough money.

Schools don't have money for trainers at all events. It would require districts to have a number of them. When you have multiple sports going on at the same time in different locations in a school district. I would love for it to be the case but there isn't enough money.

NKY schools do not pay for this service. The local healthcare providers provide them at no cost. The hope/payoff is that injured athletes will use their services for recovery/surgery/etc. I would assume that's true in most areas.

I know just about every school in the south central area has an AED available at several locations in their various schools. I know of quite a few programs who have an AED at their athletic facilities. Also, I'll always see an ambulance parked next to the field at just about every high school game.

But, I don't know of many teams with an actual trainer. It very well might be a dad, uncle, booster, alumni or something along those lines who is a nurse or a doctor or something along those lines.

Ambulances staffed with paramedics is great to have at games.

Challenge is that the games are but a small portion of the time where injuries/health issues can arise.

NKY schools do not pay for this service. The local healthcare providers provide them at no cost. The hope/payoff is that injured athletes will use their services for recovery/surgery/etc. I would assume that's true in most areas.

Thats not entirely right, I can tell you Kenton County pays to have the trainers they have. They will be switching companies next year because of bid process that took place.

Thats not entirely right' date=' I can tell you Kenton County pays to have the trainers they have. They will be switching companies next year because of bid process that took place.[/quote']

I will take your word for it. I was told by an ATC that it was done at no cost.

As an AD I always stressed about this, but when someone says @ "all practices" or "all games" it makes it near impossible to do unfortunately. Lets think about spring for example since we are in that season; At any given time on the campus where I was working, we would have a Track meet going on in the stadium, tennis matches going on on the courts near the stadium, but outside the stadium & a softball & baseball game going on as well (these two stadiums are not close to each other) Very difficult to have trainers @ all locations even though I would like to. Even when you try to schedule everything so that it all works out where there isn't something going on in each venue, sometimes it is unavoidable.

We had a permanent mounted AED in our stadium & the trainer carried one with him @ all times so he could go between locations on the campus when we had more than one event going on. The big issue is that there was no real direct way for him to get from one place to another & had to either drive from place to place in either his vehicle or the golf cart..... Not the most ideal, but its all we could do.

Thats not entirely right, I can tell you Kenton County pays to have the trainers they have. They will be switching companies next year because of bid process that took place.

2 of the 3 schools are switching companies. St E has been Scott's provider for a while.

We have one and I believe she is provided by some place in NKY but that's just one. I was saying that you need a number of them to handle the sports. That doesn't even begin to address access to traibers during practice. NKY, Louisville , Lexington and a few other places in the state have access to resources. You start getting out into the state it becomes harder.